Sign in to follow this  
N562Z

If you are NOT playing around with DX10 Preview...GET RID OF...

>Bill...I wasn't talking about mere hours...I spent 8 hours>upon it. Straight. I had the time resource. My 'one day' could>be some other's week.Mitch, it isn't a matter of just your time. It typically takes HOURS just to run a single defrag pass. When there are four or more defrag passes that need to me made......well, a mere eight continuous hours just ain't gonna cut it... ;)

Fr. Bill    

AOPA Member: 07141481 AARP Member: 3209010556

Avsim Board of Directors | Avsim Forums Moderator

Guest Jimbofly

I realise it may be YOUR OPINION, but to state that DX10 Preview does nothing goes against what many who have it and compared screenies say about it.Yes it does enhance the graphics of FSX, abeit marginally but the enhancement is there nonetheless.Oh, and it's been PROVEN that SP2 enhances performance even with the DX9 version so there's no point claiming it doesn't.

'Slop Pack 2' has caused some problems for me as well. Like the FSX Menu hanging and intermittent opaque windows in the Cheyenne II and a once-in-a-while general-system-hang. And all for free! No problems without SP2 except that the Cheyenne II requires it. Buggers!What people should really be mad about is the fact the ACES couldn't care less about fixing FSX.How much money did you waste on FSX?

It occurs to me that there are many of us running FSX with Acceleration / SP2 that are having no issues whatsoever.Clearly ACES haven't supplied dud code or we would all be getting the same problems.Therefore it has to be a combination of individual PC's and/or addons.I have UTX, ASX, GEXn and others and have not had a single problem.The only issue I have EVER had with FSX was a corrupt controls.dll which I deleted and let the sim rebuild and is now fine.I feel people may have to be more selective with the freeware and drivers they are using.It's clear that FSX does not 'appreciate' legacy FS9 code to some extents! It would be worth bearing that in mind as we install a multitude of addons.

Greetings Mitch and all,I noticed you did'nt include your system specs. Well, I for one agree with you, but that is becuase my system just can't handle FSX/SP2. First off, my system:Dell XPS400 2.6ghz (D)eVGA 7950GT 512 PCIe2 Gig Ram (Came with system)160G Seagate HD 7200RMP - System Files160G WD HD 7200RPM - FS and related filesNow, first off I was one of the few who had driver issues with SP2 installed. The latest drivers release 169 series seemed to fix the CTD when trying to access the menues in Full Screen Mode; however this fix "crippled" my FSX with blurries, stutters, and generally low "frame rates". This is with a fresh install, defragging, etc. I used a "clean" fsx.cfg file, since the SP2 was supposed to negate all the .cfg entries of FSX RTM and SP1. Things just wouldn't work, and with the eventuall move of developers creating add-ons for SP2, I decided to remove FSX until I can either upgrade my sys, or just buy a new one when FS11 comes.So, you're not the only one who couldn't run SP2.Cheers all,Ken

In fairness to all, let me say that I have never dissed fsx, and its sp's. But there is a random opacity to the windows of stock aircraft (stock c172) with sp2. also some periodic effect shows black briefly before displaying properly. This with stock fsx + GEX + UTX...and a few scenery addons of my own design.The opaque windows are annoying.If it only happens to some, its still a problem as long as its repeatable across disparate systems. None of this happened before sp2.While I'm not complaining or expecting a fix, it does seem like a stretch to declare sp2 "trouble free".Cheers,Bob

>In fairness to all, let me say that I have never dissed fsx,>and its sp's. Well, Bob, that's because you have the good manners and grace not to call it "Slop Pack 2" or "FSuX".>But there is a random opacity to the windows of>stock aircraft (stock c172) with sp2. also some periodic>effect shows black briefly before displaying properly. >>This with stock fsx + GEX + UTX...and a few scenery addons of>my own design.>>The opaque windows are annoying.>>If it only happens to some, its still a problem as long as its>repeatable across disparate systems. None of this happened>before sp2.>That's the key. Is it repeatable? I can tell you, that I have never seen the opacity thing with SP2.The momentary black effect thing, I have seen. But I attribute that to my low amount of video memory (256), or junk nVidia drivers. Are you running 256 vid mem perchance?I wouldn't expect to notice a black effect on a new Core2 machine with a 512 meg card. And besides, that is a very momentary effect, and hardly worth noting.RhettAMD 3700+ (@2585 mhz), eVGA 7800GT 256 (Guru3D 93.71), ASUS A8N-E, PC Power 510 SLI, 2gb Corsair XMS 3-3-3-8 (1T), WD 150 gig 10000rpm Raptor, WD 250gig 7200rpm SATA2, Seagate 120gb 5400 rpm external HD, CoolerMaster Praetorian

Rhett

7800X3D ♣ 32 GB G.Skill TridentZ  Gigabyte 4090  Crucial P5 Plus 2TB 

<>Yes, I'm using video with 256 mb vid mem. I'm waiting for a new vid card...its in transit from Newegg. I bought an EVGA 8800 GTS (G92) 512 mb. We'll see what happens with that. (and hope to heck I don't get bit by the once and a while reported problems with nvidia). BobE6600 @ 3ghz, 4gb memory, ati x1900xt

I agree SP2 is not perfect but for me I wouldnt go back. I look at it this way, it can only get better from here out. I'm sick of all the complaints about FSX and I say to those if you can find something better than go for it. Look at how far Flight Simulator has come. I saw a video somewhere showing the various stages of how it has PROGRESSED and it sure has come a long way. I have not seen the opaque window problem at all but I am only using FSX approved aircraft. The only payware aircraft I have is the Super80 and the new Carenado Mooney. As for the blackout issue I do see and I to have a 256 mb card. How is the reload going Mitch? We havent heard anything yet.

Jim Wenham

>>Yes, I'm using video with 256 mb vid mem. I'm waiting for a>new vid card...its in transit from Newegg. I bought an EVGA>8800 GTS (G92) 512 mb. We'll see what happens with that. >(and hope to heck I don't get bit by the once and a while>reported problems with nvidia). (I'm considering this new ATI card, the 3870, as an alternative to the 8800)RhettAMD 3700+ (@2585 mhz), eVGA 7800GT 256 (Guru3D 93.71), ASUS A8N-E, PC Power 510 SLI, 2gb Corsair XMS 3-3-3-8 (1T), WD 150 gig 10000rpm Raptor, WD 250gig 7200rpm SATA2, Seagate 120gb 5400 rpm external HD, CoolerMaster Praetorian

Rhett

7800X3D ♣ 32 GB G.Skill TridentZ  Gigabyte 4090  Crucial P5 Plus 2TB 

>>What people should really be mad about is the fact the ACES>couldn't care less about fixing FSX.>This statement and the sentiment behind it are, in a microcosm, exactly what is wrong with the community right now.Aces spent >1 year of engineering effort providing 2 free service packs that not only fixed bugs but added significant new performance enhancements.So how one comes to the conclusion that we "couldn't care less about fixing FSX" is only by going through the process of mistranslating our statement that SP2 is the last service pack into the worst possible viewpoint. Performing an exercise like that on our statements, to transform them into the worst possible viewpoint and then broadcasting it back to the community - that isnt something Aces did, that is something the community is doing. Really, can we stop doing that? How does that help others or advance reasonable discussions?

>>>>What people should really be mad about is the fact the ACES>>couldn't care less about fixing FSX.>>>>This statement and the sentiment behind it are, in a>microcosm, exactly what is wrong with the community right>now.>>Aces spent >1 year of engineering effort providing 2 free>service packs that not only fixed bugs but added significant>new performance enhancements.>>So how one comes to the conclusion that we "couldn't care less>about fixing FSX" is only by going through the process of>mistranslating our statement that SP2 is the last service pack>into the worst possible viewpoint. Performing an exercise like>that on our statements, to transform them into the worst>possible viewpoint and then broadcasting it back to the>community - that isnt something Aces did, that is something>the community is doing. >>Really, can we stop doing that? How does that help others or>advance reasonable discussions?Phil, I agree with you 100%Unfortunately, recently I have only been reading posts that have your name in it (and few other respected posters) because you bring in a voice of knowledge and sensibility.Bo

Bo Klop

Guest thx1137

It has always been this way though Phil since the internet. Remember the Usenet days?! Talk about acrimonious! Obviously the patches have helped most of us otherwise the boards would be full of complaints instead of the steady trickle we currently get and how many of those are ACES fault? Hard to say unless all they are running is FSX and nothing else but of course no two PC's are the same.People that get into the personal attacks and think they are owed the world for a $70 product, well, what can we say. They will always be around. We all have a choice, if you didn't like, FSX take it back, if it is too late then consider it lost $$$ and play something else. This is how it is supposed to work. Ghod knows I have spent many $1000 of the years on rubbish never to be played again.Steven.

Guest Nick_N

I'm backing Phil up on this one tooI joke around like everyone else and there have been times in the past during the FSX dev cycles I was not very happy with how things seemed to be progressing but there is one thing no one can say and that is Aces has not provided support for FSX.Many of the problems I have seen are directly driver and core related in which Aces is responsible up to the DX API. If their side of the DX API is designed right, its not Aces responsibility for the driver/core manufacture to correctly meet the other side of that API. In that many of the problems I have seen posted are directly related to cores/drivers. And about blurs and stutters.. I don

What I find interesting is that the very few individuals (and they are few-and some are no longer welcome here) that make these types of comments invariably:1) Have a disabled user profile2) violate the avsim rule of providing a real name which is clearly stated at signup3) Usually have a history of such behavior-often walking right on the line, disappearing for a while, then reappearing to do the same.So McCrash-I am giving you 12 hours to 1) correct your name and 2) apologize to Phil for your rudeness which unfortunately reflects on not just you but all flight simmers.http://www.mediafire.com/imgbnc.php/1b5baf...b9f427f694g.jpgMy blog:http://geofageofa.spaces.live.com/