Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

remilton

Has Vista SP1 influenced my FSX?

I downloaded via Window Update a 67MB SPI for Vista. Since then I have noticed the following:I now have the problem of wavey graphics when viewing in Spot View.I had resolved this months ago via the nVidia Control Panel and Vsync clamp etc. Now whatever i do via Control Panel or nHancer will not fix this problem.I run 7950 GX2's in Quad SLI but have both enabled and disabled SLI to try and resolve. When I looked in Programs/Features there was an nVidia driver download in there dated 19March( date of SP1 install). I had NOT loaded this driver. I thought this uninvited driver was the culprit.I removed the driver and reinstalled my original driver but the problem is still persisting.Any ideas bar uninstalling SP1 and seeing if I get back to normal.(will do as last resort)regards

Help AVSIM continue to serve you!
Please donate today!

I installed Vista SP1 and do not have this "problem" with my 2 8800GTX's in FSX (not sure what wavey graphics look like though). Vista SP1 did not change any Nvidia drivers. You can read what changes were made here: http://www.winsupersite.com/reviews/winvista_sp1.asp. I also had that Nvidia driver in the Windows update as an optional install. Since I had the latest, I did not install it.Best regards,JimEDIT: Some people are complaining SP1 disabled their video card drivers!!! http://www.techspot.com/

If you think SP1 is causing a problem, just roll back to the last 'restore point' before you installed SP1 and see if the problem is gone.Ron

I have now resolved the problem.The official description of what i was experiencing is "Tearing" It took uninstalling Vista SP1 to get things back to normal. I have no idea what in SP1 effected my graphics but something did.This is just a heads-up for any others who may experience a similar problem with Vita SP1.I know everyone's setups are almost unique but there has been a reference in another forum that some (few) others have also experienced a graphics problem after the update. No idea if it may only be nVidia or if it could happen on ATI as well.Well, back to flying without getting seasick ( !!)regardsjc

I have this problem as well.Obviously V-Synch is disabled. Unfortunately uninstalling Sp1 hasn't fixed it.Gee wiz, I'm tired of this continuous cycle of new things breaking working thingsStu

>I downloaded via Window Update a 67MB SPI for Vista. Since>then I have noticed the following:>I now have the problem of wavey graphics when viewing in Spot>View.>I had resolved this months ago via the nVidia Control Panel>and Vsync clamp etc. Now whatever i do via Control Panel or>nHancer will not fix this problem.>I run 7950 GX2's in Quad SLI but have both enabled and>disabled SLI to try and resolve.> > When I looked in Programs/Features there was an nVidia driver>download in there dated 19March( date of SP1 install). I had>NOT loaded this driver. I thought this uninvited driver was>the culprit.>I removed the driver and reinstalled my original driver but>the problem is still persisting.>Any ideas bar uninstalling SP1 and seeing if I get back to>normal.(will do as last resort)>regardsI have a single 8800GTX and am experiencing comparable problems. I will be doing a restore this evening after work and see if the issues correct themselves. From what I'm seeing it appears that SP1 has broken something to do with Vsync.

Vista SP1 is causing lots of problems. Lots of people are reporting endless reboot loops and trashed system disks.I installed Sp1; it failed to install and boot looped twice and finally failed to boot with a system file "NTOSKRNL.EXE not found",error code OXC0000098.I had to do a repair from the Vista install CD followed by a restore.I think I will wait a while for MS to get that fixed before I try that again.Ron

Thanks for the link and explanation. It's now all gobbledygook to me ! It is an endless trial this FSX "habit" ! Any valid reason why this facility would be disabled. I dont really understand the Microsoft link explanation as I am not technically savvy.. I just know it is a pain in the wotsit. I now have a choice of updating my OS which I paid handsomely for OR I can use FSX and loads of addons.....for which I have also paid handsomely for.Would one of you be able to advise me if i can enable Vsync and have SP1 (without instability being introduced)?regardsjc

OK.....was home from work for quite sometime. I could not find any vaule in the registry to change to see if I could get Vsync to re-enabled.I have resorted to a system restore and all is now well. I'm going to stay clear of SP1 for a while. Why must we always be guinea pigs?

They didn't disabled they just add a new functionality and it seems that for pre SP1 drivers VSSYNC will be disabled. In link there is a registry key and the explanation of how to go back to pre SP1 behavior.Key: RTL_REGISTRY_CONTROLGraphicsDriversSchedulerKeyValue: VSyncIdleTimeoutValueType: REG_DWORDValue: 10 = default; 0 = disable VSync control (same behavior same as Windows Vista Gold)Jos

er, just reading that info from MS and to me it doesn't sound like V-sync is "disabled" by SP1. It sounds like a feature has been added that shuts vsync off if theres a period of inactivity in the GPU. This doesn't sound like it would affect FSX or any other game (unless perhaps the game was puased for a long period of time). It sounds to me like this issue would be resolved by disabling the power saver feature of your system (on my AMD system it's called "Cool & Quiet" and shutting it off in the BIOS did wonders for overall performance).

>They didn't disabled they just add a new functionality and it>seems that for pre SP1 drivers VSSYNC will be disabled. In>link there is a registry key and the explanation of how to go>back to pre SP1 behavior.>>Key: RTL_REGISTRY_CONTROLGraphicsDriversScheduler>KeyValue: VSyncIdleTimeout>ValueType: REG_DWORD>Value: 10 = default; 0 = disable VSync control (same behavior>same as Windows Vista Gold)The KEY to understanding is in the second sentence quoted below:"Windows Vista SP1 provides new functionality for disabling the VSync interrupt. To take advantage of this feature, Windows Display Driver Model (WDDM) drivers must support the new VSyncPowerSaveAware flag in the DXGK_VIDSCHCAPS structure..."This implies that if the WDDM driver(s) haven't been recompiled with the new flag, nothing should change......but knowing how reality most often doesn't correspond with theory, most likely vsynch is forced OFF all the time!

>They didn't disabled they just add a new functionality and it>seems that for pre SP1 drivers VSSYNC will be disabled. In>link there is a registry key and the explanation of how to go>back to pre SP1 behavior.>>Key: RTL_REGISTRY_CONTROLGraphicsDriversScheduler>KeyValue: VSyncIdleTimeout>ValueType: REG_DWORD>Value: 10 = default; 0 = disable VSync control (same behavior>same as Windows Vista Gold)>>Jos

Just Passing This On (again) in case some missed it!Microsoft highly recommends that if you are already running Vista, that you download SP-1 from Windows Update, not from the stand-alone version.They state that (undefined) problems can result if you don't follow this procedure due to present incompatibility with some hardware and drivers. Windows Update will supposedly not download SP-1 to your computer if you have these particular and unspecified incompatible situations, until they are corrected.One Blog that appears to reflect first hand knowledge of the situation states that people with the incompatible hardware/drivers may have to wait until mid April for Vista SP-1, by which time the problems are expected to be corrected, presumably by Windows Update.The point is, that if you downloaded the stand-alone version, problems are more likely!That does not mean of course that using Widows Update means no problems on any computer, and I have no idea of how many people that encountered problems downloaded the stand-alone version.I, personally have not had SP-1 offered as a download and do not plan to install it until that happens.Regards, Good Luck,Thrakete

I installed SP1 via Windows update because it was offered. So for anyone thinking of installing expect possible problems any way you install it. The Nvidia forums are also full of user posts having Vsync forced off all the time after applying the Vista SP1 update.Micorsoft's implementation of only offering the update to computers that do not have supposed known driver/hardware issues is great in theory. Unfortunately, it's quite flawed.

Maybe you could try to create the registry entry an see if it works.RTL_REGISTRY_CONTROL is the same as HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINESYSTEMCurrentControlSetControlJos

Jose,I sure wish you would've come up with that excellent recommendation prior to me doing a system restore(the thought never crossed my mind).......lolNow I'm debating wether or not to morph into a lab rat and give it a go. ;)

I guess I am one of the lucky ones. Got update notification that SP1 was available yesterday morning. Closed as many programs and services, AV, Defender, various other tray apps, as seemed prudent and installed the update (approx 70M download). The system only rebooted one time and I have seen no issues or problems with anything. With regard to Vsync, can't that be enabled using nHancer?

> With regard to Vsync, can't that be enabled using nHancer?Not when Vista has it forced off due to a driver incompatibility. It's off 100% of the time even when forced via nHancer.

Jim: Thanks, that at least gives me somewhere to start from. It's obvious it's not going to be simple to find out what is blocking me from getting Vista SP-1 through Windows update though.I think I can narrow it to causes 3, 5 or 7 in my case. However:Cause 3: refers to a "Windows Service Pack Blocker" tool. I don't have a clue what that is or how you turn it off at this time, so will have to research it.Cause 5: Since I have no idea which "hardware driver software" or "device software" could be causing the problem, it will be a bit difficult to update it. Microsoft states that are very few of these, but apparently has no intention of identifying these "very few" so the user can attempt to fix them.Cause 7: I don't know what "3rd party V light" means. I believe I have an optional "Microsoft V light" downloaded and available for installation, but it is listed as optional, so I have not installed it. I usually don't install something if I don't know what it is supposed to do. However I see that Cause 7 lists a link, and that may help.If anyone can enlighten me on the questions above, any help will be appreciated. Until I understand what's going on here, I am not going to experiment with SP-1. My system "ain't broke" so trying to improve it with SP-1 right now looks like asking for problems.I sure wish the MS guys would assemble all this information in one place so we don't have to stumble on each item piecemeal.Thanks again for the information Jim.Regards,Thrakete

Amazing - What you have all endured to get FSX to work properly in Vista and with DX10 only because we were all told it would be better... I see one fella here with TWO 8800 GTX's.....wow, amazing. I'm not sure I'm willing to risk burning my house down just to get 20 FPS, but I'm still tweaking, and still unsatisfied. Oh well..http://www.my-buddy-icon.com/Icons/objects/red_3d_plane.gifAlex ChristoffN562ZBaltimore, MD

Alex,I'm with you on the power thing. My system is by no means one of the "power gaming" ones, and only has a 400 watt (output) power supply, but the maximum input power to it is nearly the same as my Microwave oven. The computer power cable is twice as large as the old ones. I have decided that that's the limit, (well, maybe just a little bit more).I predict a lot of popped circuit breakers and need for air conditioning upgrades in the near future.I don't think my wife is going to go along with rewiring the house for my toys.Regards,Thrakete

Have you reported all this to Microsoft? After all, they are the best people to resolve your issues, and although it's fine alreting people to problems here, it does much more good getting back to the source of the problem.Same goes for anyone else who finds problems with software p- make sure that the responsible people know of your difficulties - none of them are mind readers, I'm afraid.