Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

nudata

Some amazing fsx things

I'm amazed by the quality of the landscape compared with previous editions. FSX seems like a great leap forward to me; it's a credit to the dedication and hard work of the ACES team, and bodes well for the future of the franchise. In previous editions of the sim I never used to fly low and slow because the landscape was so uninspiring, but in FSX GA is now my preferred option. I particularly like the DA Dornier Do-27 because of the terrific view I can get of the landscape. I think FS is really getting to an amazing place with FSX, and I can't wait to see what's in store next time.Mike.http://forums.avsim.net/user_files/191069.jpg

Help AVSIM continue to serve you!
Please donate today!

Indeed the ground scenery is very good and can border on excellent with the right photo scenery(textures). I use the Dreamscapes Utah and Hawaii. These raise my addiction level. In the landclass world of FSX the deserts of Utah were bland and almost featureless. Now, with photo scenery, my neck hurts from looking out the window. Regards,Dick BoleyA PC, an LCD, speakers, CH yokeUTAHhttp://forums.avsim.net/user_files/191070.jpgUTAHhttp://forums.avsim.net/user_files/191071.jpgHAWAII - Old Ford Island Naval Airstationhttp://forums.avsim.net/user_files/191073.jpgHAWAIIhttp://forums.avsim.net/user_files/191074.jpg

You still need 3rd party textures to get the best out of it as nudata illustrates. edited for spelling!

For me, FSX has a much more 'immersive' look and feel about it. It took me awhile to get used to but it seems that I can see for miles and miles and there is always something to look at.I've never bought a lot of addons so to me its nice to see the roads and all the lakes the way they are.I've also seen many cases where "Wow! theres the Cape May Lewes ferry" or whatever.When i was a kid we would take the Cape May Lewes ferry (between Lewes delaware and Cape May New Jersey) fairly often and i never knew that you could see Lewes from cape May if you just got up about a 1000 feet or so.Unfortunately I cant crank up the settings too much so i dont know how much I'm missing but I enjoy a good landscape with lots of trees that are laid out well. (FSG landclass helps that).The other day Iwas flying near KLWB and it was morning and the sun was lighting up the mountains. I love the way the shadows are done in FSX. It makes mornings and evenings even better.I've also gotten in the habit of looking at aerial maps (with windows live) of the area where my plane is currently located and then i'll look for airports near lakes or other water (or sometimes mountains -- whatever is interesting) and then i'll fly there in FSX.Its a FAR leap from the days when the ground was a solid block of green with white lines running across it.

I flew over my apartment and discovered that while the scenery is pretty generic (it's like MS put down a repeating pattern of wallpaper), the roads are actually accurate. I saw the Five Points thing North of me, and the irregular (not at 90 degrees) intersection South of me.

I'd attach a screen but you can find them yourself. :)In Moscow, Russia you can find these HYPERBOLIDE STRUCTURES --http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shukhov_Tower..and they are in FSXthey look pretty neat if you ask me. I discovered them while flying around Moscow in Vlad. Z.'s Mil-17 helicopter. ACES made quite a few custom objects for Moscow!RhettFS box: E8500 (@ 3.80 ghz), AC Freezer 7 Pro, ASUS P5E3 Premium, BFG 8800GTX 756 (nVidia 169 WHQL), 4gb DDR3 1600 Patriot Cas7 7-7-7-20 (2T), PC Power 750, WD 150gb 10000rpm Raptor, Seagate 500gb, Silverstone TJ09 case, Vista Ultimate 64ASX Client: AMD 3700+ (@ 2.6 ghz), 7800GT

One of the most realistic comparison shots I've yet seen.Paul S.

Wow. Is that default FSX weather and clouds or do you have ActiveSky and/or FEX?Colin

The island of Kauai is quite amazing... The default FSX scenery there is very much like the real thing.:-)

wow that fsx shot is amazing, if you said it was a real life shot I would have believed you!

Looking the other way to the sunset shots, during the day this time. I managed to get a reasonably close match with today

I thought it would be interesting to start a thread of things that are quite unusual ,unexpected, or amazing, in fsx.I was recently in Bar Harbor, Maine. A place I had seen on the map for years but only imagined. Upon return to home I had to fire it up in fsx and see how it matched. We happened to stay in a wonderful hotel in Bar Harbor and noticed that next door was a ferry/dock that had service to Nova Scotia-of course we would have never known this except for the fact we were next to it. I wish I had taken a picture but at the time I did not consider the dock that scenic.Just flew it in fsx and lo and behold:http://forums.avsim.net/user_files/191067.jpgNow I can locate exactly where the hotel was-but am also amazed that a detail like this in world wide scenery is there. Wonder if boats leave it on the rw schedule?I guess I could complain that the little island in Bar Harbor that has a spit you can cross to it when the tide is down -and then you are stranded for 8 hours if the tide comes up-fsx shows just the island in remarkable resemblance but does not have the tidal activities..Then again, I am simply amazed at the detail of this sim. Until a few weeks ago, I didn't even know a thing about Bar Harbor, let alone that there was a ferry dock in this location-now I know better-and it was in the sim all the time.If only now there were "numerous moose on the runway" that were notamed for the Bar Harbor airport by fss, along with the seagulls that got chopped up by the twin coming in while I was waiting for release upon leaving (actually that can be added pretty easily with instant scenery)..GeofaMy blog:http://geofageofa.spaces.live.com/

Wow, I took that ferry from Nova Scotia back to Maine when I was probably 14 years old with my grandparents. Now I'm 36 and my grandparents are gone. :-( What I would give to go back and experience it again.Interesting to see nice little details in FSX. Thanks.

Highmike & redline - those are amazing shots!! The landscape from the Dornier is great and the sunset comparisions are awesome. Can you imagine what FS20 is gonna look like lol.

I took almost the same ferry a couple of years ago, from Yarmouth to Bar Harbour, except this version was a high-speed catamaran. I wonder if they're going to model it sometime.

Thanks to the sharper resolution, textures, and shadowing...........the mountain regions of FSX (at least in the Mt. West, where I fly) take on a much more 3D look of depth, compared to previous versions.L.Adamson

>Nice story. Nice to hear memories echo in a place I just saw>for the first time.>Geofa>My blog:>http://geofageofa.spaces.live.com/We drove into Nova Scotia from Maine, then took the ferry back. It was neat driving the van with a large trailer attached onto the ferry with a bunch of other vehicles. I remember we could go down to the vehicle and trailer at any time during the trip. I'm sure if I looked hard enough through my grandparents things I'd find a pic. I know we have video.I still have a deck of playing cards from Nova Scotia, with a design and Nova Scotia markings on it. I still remember as we passed houses driving into NS, people who were outside would all wave, it was crazy.

I enjoy more what I don't see or at least what is harder to see. In all previous versions of FS, airports stood out like a "sore thumb." That is to say, as soon as they were visible, they were impossible to miss. And it didn't seem to matter if it was KORD or a Texas ranch strip, airports were set on polys that were just too easy to see. In the real world I have real problems picking the airport out of the "ground clutter" and so it is with FSX.I've been using FSEconomy lately and flying low and slow planes into airports with narrow asphalt or gravel, or dirt or grass runways and they are near impossible for me to see, just like life. Not long ago it took me three passes before I was able to line up with the runway to land, and that was flying a 65 knot final.R-

Having made FSX into some of what I had in FS9, and more, I find that FSX is "fuller and richer" and gives a more realistic environmental feeling that its predecessor. FSX is much more "vibrant" and can be simply visually stunning (with 3rd party addons).It is however, unexpected at the dismal lack of 3rd party content 2 years after release. I keep hearing that development for FSX is more complex, however, as demonstrated by FSDreamTeam's KORD and Zurich, the sceneries look exactly the same as the FS9 version. The FSX LDS 767 and PMDG 747, CS 757, et al look exactly the same. fly exactly the same and function exactly the same as their FS9 counterparts. So as a "layman" I have to conclude that development may be harder, but functionality remains largely unchanged. Is that an accurate summation or am I missing a killer functional aspect yet unleashed? Has "needless" complexity been intruduced simply for the sake of change? Or is there next-level functionality still untapped within FSX (not superficial such as larger texture sizes or dove hunting in Wisconsin missions)?I'm waiting for FSX to turn the corner, so to speak. I keep thinking/hoping that there is that certain "something" that will be released that will allow FSX to turn the corner, inspire true community adoption, fire the retrorockets and allow FSX to take a place of greatness. Right now what I see is FSX coasting along on its own merits, biding time until FS11, but not offering anything yet to convince the masses to move platforms (you see posts almost every day stating, I just moved to FSX or I just moved BACK to FS9). Much like Vista is coasting along, biding time until Windows 7, but not offering anything that will convince XP users to mass migrate (prettier only convinces so many people it is also better).There is still time left (2 years?) and since the newest rigs can run FSX with very little compromise, if the 3rd party developers can bring that "better mousetrap" to the table, FSX may yet shed its FS2000-like moniker and woo the masses. Regards,Mike T.