Sign in to follow this  
Rocky_53

Cure for NGX external skeleton view?

I am wondering if there is an issue with running the 4096 textures and the TML at 1024. The resizing that must occur, with the additional payload of the NGX on top, may be causing this delay which leads to the skeleton view at first (even on an i7-2700K @4.8GHz). I am going to try the TML4096 to see what happens. I have a new GTX670 in now...

Thanks for addressing this issue and posting your results...

A

Hey Andrew, I think there must be something in what you describe. I can't run HD textures as I have converted them all! Please report back your findings, as I think this could be very useful for a lot of guys... 

Howard
MSI Mag B650 Tomahawk MB, Ryzen7-7800X3D CPU@5ghz, Arctic AIO II 360 cooler, Nvidia RTX3090 GPU, 32gb DDR5@6000Mhz, SSD/2Tb+SSD/500Gb+OS, Corsair 1000W PSU, Philips BDM4350UC 43" 4K IPS, MFG Crosswinds, TQ6 Throttle, Fulcrum One Yoke
My FlightSim YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/@skyhigh776

I have read that somewhere too, in that with TML set at 1024, your card has to resize the 4096 texture back to 1024 before its displayed...seems logical that while this is happening you see a skelly plane.

NB: Please be aware that this post is referring to an initial test.

There is an anomoly with the loading of external textures on the NGX that some people experience and others don't. It's when changing to an external view of the aircraft after sitting in the VC and experiencing a delay in the loading of the external textures, resulting in the classic 'skeleton' aircraft for a split second, but in some cases this can be a couple of seconds. While this can happen for several reasons, the most commonly accepted cause is that the textures and addon being flown at the time are simply very resource hungry, hence the delay. This, for me personally, has always been more apparent on the NGX rather than any other aircraft so when I first purchased the NGX I didn't even consider the HD textures and immediately started to run them at 1024, but with no real benefit with the loading textures. Then I realised that the reason was that the textures themselves were still 4096! So I spent an hour resizing the actual textures to 1024, using DXTbmp a freeware graphics editing tool. The improvement was noticeable, although the delay in texture loading was still apparent.

Yesterday, on a flight from PAKT to CYVR, I noticed that the skeleton aircraft seemed particulalry bad, in fact so bad I decided I would try a few tricks to see if I could eradictae it completely. After doing some research around the forums, I came across a guy who suggested the HighMemfix tweak and also running the textures at 4094 in the cfg ie the TextureMaxLoad=4096. I already have the HighMemFix tweak in my cfg and the thought of running extra resolution textures to eradicate the problem didn't make sense to me. Anyway, bearing in mind that all my NGX liveries are 1024 I thought I would change the TML in the cfg. Wow!! I couldn't believe it. I reloaded the flight and increased the cloud cover and flew for about ten minutes on the previous route. No skeleton aircraft, AT ANY TIME!

Now before anyone gets too excited, I need to do some further tests, but so far, this appears to have cured the problem. So to summarise, I have resized the liveries to 1024, but the important thing is that the TextureMaxLoad is changed to 4096, this is the important bit. Now it may be that some guys are running the HD NGX textures at 1024 while they are in fact HD textures. So I would suggest you try either resizing the textures to 1024 and still mainatin the TML at 4096 or if not, simply change the TML to 4096 anyway.

I won't be in a position to do any more tests until later today, but I'll be interested to hear feedback...  Cheers...

Well I put in the Highmemfix and set the TML to 4096. I have AS2012 SP2 and flew a 400 mile flight with live weather (as I always do) with the NGX. There was NO Skeleton issues at all and the performance was outstanding. What really hit me was the changes in the lighting. I have included some shots. It was a night flight and ended up landing in a Thunderstorm. Could not believe the visuals. Trying to hand fly and get the shots was a trick.

Thanks,

Ron

Brilliant Ron, brilliant!

Howard
MSI Mag B650 Tomahawk MB, Ryzen7-7800X3D CPU@5ghz, Arctic AIO II 360 cooler, Nvidia RTX3090 GPU, 32gb DDR5@6000Mhz, SSD/2Tb+SSD/500Gb+OS, Corsair 1000W PSU, Philips BDM4350UC 43" 4K IPS, MFG Crosswinds, TQ6 Throttle, Fulcrum One Yoke

I was seeing increased instances of skeleton aircraft along with slow loading textures in VC mode..."grayed out textures".

This seemed to be a recent issue with my setup, about the last month or so.

I've been running TML at 4096 and HD textures through the NGX performance config...or so I thought! After reading this thread, i decided to check the performance config again...oops! I didn't have the HD VC textures "checked." So, I clicked on it and then ran fsx again with the NGX. My issues with the skeleton aircraft and grayed out textures in the VC view are about 98% gone! i still have a couple of flashes of the symptoms but nothing like the 2-3 second problems of before.

I do spend a lot of time flying around KSEA with max'd out settings, so a few micro flashes are to be expected...

Thanks Howard for posting this as it has made flying my favorite aircraft that much more enjoyable!

Hi,

I don't have any problems with the NGX, but I do with other airport traffic - they start of as a complete aircraft and then change to just the cockpit floating in the air.  Im running a high end graphics card - Nvidia GTX 650 and using a 42" TV as my main monitor.  I have TML set at 4096 and the graphics setting in FSX and the FSX CFG file to 1920x1080x32.  Any ideas what might be causing the "floating" cockpit?

Thanks

Rob

Hi,

I don't have any problems with the NGX, but I do with other airport traffic - they start of as a complete aircraft and then change to just the cockpit floating in the air.  Im running a high end graphics card - Nvidia GTX 650 and using a 42" TV as my main monitor.  I have TML set at 4096 and the graphics setting in FSX and the FSX CFG file to 1920x1080x32.  Any ideas what might be causing the "floating" cockpit?

Thanks

Rob

What's the rest of your PC? Do you have any cfg tweaks? Are you running a third party AI addon?

Howard

Hi,

I am running FSX Accelleration with Windows 7 under an Intel i7 CPU, Nvidia GTX 650 x 3, 8g RAM.  The only other cfg change was to add highmemfix=1  I also use REX, ASE, AES and Addon airports.  Most settings are maxed out.

Rob

Hi,

I am running FSX Accelleration with Windows 7 under an Intel i7 CPU, Nvidia GTX 650 x 3, 8g RAM.  The only other cfg change was to add highmemfix=1  I also use REX, ASE, AES and Addon airports.  Most settings are maxed out.

Rob

It sounds like you may have too high an AI settings or you would benefit from a third party addon such as My traffic X or similar...

Howard

Hello anybody,

I have been enjoying  the 737 NGX v.1c for several month without having any problems.

Some time ago however, I realized, that the outside view had changed to something quite strange: It's not the well-known skeleton view but instead of the airplane only a white 3D square box (taken account of the scale, about 4x4x4m,) is sitting on the ground with PMDG and the PMDG logo written in blue letters on its walls,  Furthermore the wings, the two forward entry doors and the air stairs are hovering around the box.  That's all, and it remains.

I have no explanation for this behavior, because I cannot remember having changed something  of importance  recently.

I've got quite a powerful water-cooled 4.9 GHz PC with Nvidia  GTX 570 Graphics which showed so far no problems manageing the NGX and the add-ons I use.

Can anybody give me an advice, how to resolve this problem?

Thanks

Read  about  this   awhile  ago cant  remember  the  solution to it, some  one  will come with the solution

I7-800k,Corsair h1101 cooler ,Asus Strix Gaming Intel Z370 S11 motherboard, Corsair 32gb ramDD4,    2  ssd 500gb 970 drive, gtx 1080ti Card,  RM850 power supply

Peter kelberg

I have the traffic settings at about 50%.  Are there other AI settings I can adjust?

Thanks

Rob

Forgot to mention, it is only on the ground that I get this phenomenon of the other aircraft cabin floating above the taxiway and runway.  One minute it is the whole aircraft and then just the cabin.

Rob

Some time ago however, I realized, that the outside view had changed to something quite strange: It's not the well-known skeleton view but instead of the airplane only a white 3D square box (taken account of the scale, about 4x4x4m,) is sitting on the ground with PMDG and the PMDG logo written in blue letters on its walls,  Furthermore the wings, the two forward entry doors and the air stairs are hovering around the box.  That's all, and it remains.

That's what happens when using EZdok and are still in VC view mode and not external view mode. If your in the VC and you pan your view to the outside of the a/c you will see the white VC box with the PMDG logo on it. Switching to FSX default spot view should fix it unless some how you are still stuck in the internal VC view.

Sometimes even the default views can get stuck or messed up and will cause this. There is a key stroke or combination of key strokes that you can press to reset all the views and you should be fine again. Unfortunately I dont remember what those key strokes are or I would tell you. I used to have an issue using Locked Spot view where the a/c would look elongated after switching views a lot of times and using that particular key stroke would reset it back to normal. I've since gone to EZdok and dont have the issue any longer.

Sean Campbell

Avsim Board of Directors | Avsim Forums Moderator

Ny settings for the AI are 10 in the FSX settings.  Is therer another setting that needs to be changed?

Thanks

Rob