Sign in to follow this  
Bobsk8

Chase Plane now available

I believe PMDG products dont run without an internet connection yet no one has complained about that - doesnt seem like a big deal to me - kev wheres my beta copy  :wink:

• Upvote 1

Rich Sennett

That being said, I would be much more interested to discover which is real innovation in this product. I watched the AirDailyX presentation after watching a couple of teasers and, with all due respect, I still can't see anything that I can't do already with Ezdok, expect for a nice user interface which is supposed to make the simmer's life easier. I confess I am always disturbed by fanfare and wishful thinking that create high expectations (wouldn't be the first case here), but maybe it is me who is too dumb to see the difference.

This an Alpha version, it's not even close to a polished product, yet it already contains most features from our competitors in a more "usable" and "beautiful" package. A lot of simmers have been very vocal about the pain of using the camera software they use right now. We decided to go ahead and release an Alpha to give an alternative to those users. Giving early access also helps us develop a better product overall. We can build great features and great UI based on user feedback. This Alpha is not made for everyone and we understand that.

ChasePlane is a platform on which we can build pretty much anything we want. Right now, what you have seen is the tip of the iceberg. Features like Virtual doors/walls, record/playback functionality, camera modes that haven't been seen yet, a large community to quickly find/download presets and many other features that are still under the wrap. There are a lot desired features and ideas for an app like this and we aim at developing most of them on this platform. ChasePlane will remain in active development for years to come. v1.0 (2017) is certainly not the final version.

Obviously, there is a difference between seeing it on stream or in a video and using it ourselves. As more and more people are using it, more opinions will emerge to educate your decision to get it or not.

I hope this answers your questions!

Keven Menard 
Technical Director, //42

If you guys are interested, you can see more of Chase Plane on the recorded OVPA Flight Sim Web Conference (held September 24th of this year) at the link below.  In addition to FSFX, other guests were Aerosoft, REX Simulations, Dovetail Games and Airline2Sim.

OVPA Flight Sim Web Conference

Dave Hodges

System Specs:  I9-13900KF, NVIDIA 4070TI, Quest 3, Multiple Displays, Lots of TERRIFIC friends, 3 cats, and a wonderfully stubborn wife.

Thank you for your time, Keven.

I am one of those who invested a significant time on Ezdok (for example, creating dozens of camera sets, world cameras and adjusments). While I may need some good reason to discard it, I am also one who can't live without a cam manager. So be assured that I am part of your potential buyers and I will surely keep an eye open to your developments.

You can also have a First Look at ChasePlane on the following chanels

First Look - The Sky Lounge

First Look - Frooglesim 

Interview - AirDailyX

Full Flight - DirkaDurka

https://www.twitch.tv/dirkadurka/v/97296684

Full Flight - JoshFellows1997

https://www.twitch.tv/joshfellows1997/v/97096388

Long Hauls - Belynz

https://www.twitch.tv/belynz/videos/all

• Upvote 1

Keven Menard 
Technical Director, //42

This product is just what i am looking for, I have recently just started making videos and currently doing a tour of the UK video series, I have always been put off with EZdoc as it looks so complicated to set up. After watching some videos on Youtube this looks so easy. Will definitely purchase when released.

My youtube channel

http://www.youtube.com/c/Dkentflyer

I am one of those who invested a significant time on Ezdok (for example, creating dozens of camera sets, world cameras and adjusments).

Just a thought... How about importing them into ChasePlane?

Keven Menard 
Technical Director, //42

Really looking forward to this. The userinterface is so nice and easy to use.

Day 1 alpha for me if the price is right  :smile:

Kimo

Just a thought... How about importing them into ChasePlane?

It would help, of course. But I guess it must be relatively easy to create new views and new view sets from scratch with your product as well. Not my biggest concern, honestly.

I have another question, though, provided you are comfortable to answer it publicly, given the early stage of your product. What about airplanes like taildraggers or aircraft like Cessna C310R or Baron B55 (among the others), whose horizontal profile is not exactly parallel to the ground and the horizon. As a result, the POV in my lateral views for these aircraft appears skewed (horizontal lines are tilted and asymmetrical to the ground, unlike Locked Spot and Spot views in FSX, where the POV appears correctly centered and symmetrical). Apparently this has to do with the Camera bank angle parameter in FSX. Will your product offer a solution to this problem?

Feel free to PM me, in case you are more comfortable doing so.

What about airplanes like taildraggers or aircraft like Cessna C310R or Baron B55 (among the others), whose horizontal profile is not exactly parallel to the ground and the horizon. As a result, the POV in my lateral views for these aircraft appears skewed (horizontal lines are tilted and asymmetrical to the ground, unlike Locked Spot and Spot views in FSX, where the POV appears correctly centered and symmetrical). Apparently this has to do with the Camera bank angle parameter in FSX. Will your product offer a solution to this problem?

The external camera (Aircraft views) have a coordinate system relative to the aircraft with Z axis along the aircraft axis.
When sitting on the ground, a tail dragger has Z on an incline relative to the ground, so on a front/rear external view, camera pitch is needed to align the camera with the ground, and a side on view, camera bank is required.
Once the aircraft starts to fly, the Z axis becomes more aligned to the ground, but the camera would remain locked on the adjusted angle and would look incorrect again. A way to fix (possibly the only way) is to have Simconnect make camera changes between when the aircraft is on the ground vs in the air. Whether the devs of Chase Plane get around to this sort of thing remains to be seen.

One thing P3D users don't seem to have cottoned on to yet is that unless Chase Plane splits into separate FSX and P3D versions, you're not going to get to utilise new camera and Simconnect features that exist in Prepar3D, and will be forever stuck with the more limited FSX capability, albeit dressed up in a fancy user interface.

I have another question, though, provided you are comfortable to answer it publicly, given the early stage of your product. What about airplanes like taildraggers or aircraft like Cessna C310R or Baron B55 (among the others), whose horizontal profile is not exactly parallel to the ground and the horizon. As a result, the POV in my lateral views for these aircraft appears skewed (horizontal lines are tilted and asymmetrical to the ground, unlike Locked Spot and Spot views in FSX, where the POV appears correctly centered and symmetrical). Apparently this has to do with the Camera bank angle parameter in FSX. Will your product offer a solution to this problem?

This is on the list of features to implement. Right now, Outside mode behaves like you are used to but we plan on adding additional camera modes to support the feature you mentioned. 

Keven Menard 
Technical Director, //42

Hi Keven

Been using ezdok for years in both fsx and prepar3d. Are they both going to be covered by the same license?

My other concern is the offline aspect. I know you said a temporary solution for no internet but how long do you see that lasting? When I'm working away I sim on my laptop without internet, how long will I be able to use it for without connection?

Chris

What about airplanes like taildraggers or aircraft like Cessna C310R or Baron B55 (among the others), whose horizontal profile is not exactly parallel to the ground and the horizon.

Barrel_owl    The camera definition below may well do what you want for tail draggers. This one has initial XYZ for the Piper J3 Cub. Just paste it into the Cub aircraft.cfg then compare the standard right wing view and the new "Right Wing - Tracking"

Modify the Initialxyz line for use on other aircraft.

[CameraDefinition.4]
Title = "Right Wing - Tracking"
Guid = {0C2E55FC-16B2-4B6E-B884-EA2F2F2D2F81}
Description = Generic Tracking Center Outside for Custom Exterior Views - richb
Origin = Center
SnapPbhAdjust = Swivel
SnapPbhReturn = False
PanPbhAdjust = Swivel
PanPbhReturn = False
Track = Track
ShowAxis = No
AllowZoom = Yes
InitialZoom = 1.0
SmoothZoomTime = 2.0
ShowWeather = Yes
XyzAdjust = True
Transition = Yes
ShowLensFlare = True
Category = Aircraft
ClipMode = Spot
PitchPanRate = 30
HeadingPanRate = 75
PanAcceleratorTime = 0
CycleHidden = True
InitialXyz = 9.0, 0.38, -1.5

Hi Rich,

thank you very much for your input. Yes, that's definitely the only way to go. I managed to do more or less the same in the past trying to correct my skewed external lateral views for Milviz Cessna C310R under recommendation of a recognized Ezdok guru on another forum. Problem is, such changes only affect FSX views, not Ezdok views. Creating views in FSX by correcting the coordinate system relative to the aircraft with Z axis, as you brilliantly described above, is always possible, yet is much more time consuming (ultimately this is the reason why most of us use Ezdok or, in the future, ChasePlane). What I am asking to Keven is if their product will be able to correct this issue, which was apparently insurmountable in Ezdok.

In general, I do not use FSX views at all. I only use my custom Ezdok view set for the aircraft in use, except for F11 which I mapped to Locked spot.

One thing P3D users don't seem to have cottoned on to yet is that unless Chase Plane splits into separate FSX and P3D versions, you're not going to get to utilise new camera and Simconnect features that exist in Prepar3D, and will be forever stuck with the more limited FSX capability, albeit dressed up in a fancy user interface.

We designed ChasePlane to take full advantage of various SimConnect versions. Right now we are limiting those new features to make sure everything works properly.

Keven Menard 
Technical Director, //42