Sign in to follow this  
greggerm

FMC Error for KORD - 10C Rwy N/A

Hello folks, 

I'm coming across what appears to be some sort of AIRAC/Navigraph error as it relates to Chicago O'Hare tonight. I'm enroute from the Caribbean to KORD, and upon entering my destination the FMC immediately reports KORD ERR: 10C RWY N/A. In addition, the KORD arrivals pages on the FMC have no available data (no runways, STARs, or approaches).

ilvuh1.jpg

I looked this up via Google/AVSIM and I'm noticing a similar error was affecting folks with the 777 back in 2014, but I can't seem to find a consensus on what the fix was. 

I'm using the provided AIRAC data that came with the QotS2, and no addon scenery for KORD. 

I'll be making a "traditional" unmanaged approach tonight once I get there, but I was wondering if anyone had any guidance as to how to correct this and/or if it's worthy of opening an official ticket for. 

Thanks for your input,

-Greg

Darn, my hometown airport.   :mad: 

This happened to me once before as well - seemed to be a bad AIRAC file.  The next cycle came out and fixed the issue.  Can you try loading an AIRAC from Navigraph and see if that fixes it?

Ilya 

Ilya Eydis, PPL, ASEL

Deleted... misunderstood your issue.  I have the same problem as well, and I use Navigraph AIRAC data.  Maybe the next cycle (1702) will fix this.

Doug Miannay

PC: i9-13900K (OC 6.1) | ASUS Maximus Z790 Hero | ASUS Strix RTX4080 (OC) | ASUS ROG Strix LC II 360 AIO | 32GB G.Skill DDR5 TridentZ RGB 6400Hz | Samsung 990 Pro 1TB M.2 (OS/Apps) | Samsung 990 Pro 2TB M.2 (Sim) | Samsung 990 Pro 2TB M.2 (Games) | Fractal Design Define R7 Blackout Case | Win11 Pro x64

Can you try loading an AIRAC from Navigraph and see if that fixes it?

Maybe the next cycle (1702) will fix this.

Unfortunately I'm not a subscriber, and I generally just use the included AIRAC's with the addons I buy. 

If anyone has any "manual" methods for altering the AIRAC data to eliminate this issue, I'm all ears!

-Greg

I'll be making a "traditional" unmanaged approach tonight once I get there, but I was wondering if anyone had any guidance as to how to correct this and/or if it's worthy of opening an official ticket for. 

This is a navdata or arpt_rwy.dat issue. The latter happens when the file gets corrupted.

The arpt_rwy.dat file can be found at <sim root folder>\PMDG\NAVDATA. Delete it and it will rebuild the next time you run the sim.

• Upvote 3

Kyle Rodgers

Did as you suggested, Kyle, and it indeed removed the "KORD ERR: 10C RWY N/A" error.  All the runways and STARS showed up as expected.  Thanks for the tip.

Doug Miannay

PC: i9-13900K (OC 6.1) | ASUS Maximus Z790 Hero | ASUS Strix RTX4080 (OC) | ASUS ROG Strix LC II 360 AIO | 32GB G.Skill DDR5 TridentZ RGB 6400Hz | Samsung 990 Pro 1TB M.2 (OS/Apps) | Samsung 990 Pro 2TB M.2 (Sim) | Samsung 990 Pro 2TB M.2 (Games) | Fractal Design Define R7 Blackout Case | Win11 Pro x64

The arpt_rwy.dat file can be found at \PMDG\NAVDATA. Delete it and it will rebuild the next time you run the sim.

Yup - Confirming what Doug says, once I got on the ground I (backed up and then deleted) the existing arpt_rwy.dat file as noted. Upon loading into a flight with the PMDG 747, It rebuilt with a slightly different file size and indeed, KORD is reporting itself correctly. 

Should anyone else run into a similar issue, I'd follow Kyle's notes above. 

Thanks for the insight, Kyle - it's appreciated!

-Greg

Ive had this issue for a while with the 777. Im using the FSDreamteam KORD and from what i gathered in the forums is that it has to do with the AFCAD and Navdata. KORD has drastically changed from the version that comes stock with P3D/FSX and even from the FSDreamteam version. There are new runways/runways that have changed numbers that the current NAVDATA reflects but the AFCADs dont. For instance, runway 32R is no longer there, however in the afcad it is. And i believe this is where the issue stems from

I just tried the above fix and it did not work. I have a similar error notification for runway 10L at KOAK. I suppose the NGX uses the same data because I get the same errors on it also.

I tried adding new scenery at KORD that has the new runway configurations, but that didn't help either. It's not a big deal since I can land without it, but if anyone has any other things to try I would appreciate it!

Rick you have totally confused me, is your problem at both KOAK and KORD? Which solution did you try? Is the problem with the 747 or only the NGX?  NGX does not use arpt_rnw.dat file and does not read AFCADs so about the only thing that creates a problem is outdated navdata.  The NGX is only aware of runways from navdata.

Just trying to help.

Dan Downs KCRP

"Is your problem at both KOAK and KORD?"

Yes, the problem is at both KOAK and KORD. If there are other airports that have added runways since FSX was released, I can try one of those to see if I get the same error. I know the runways listed on the errors don't exist in my sim. However, I added KORD scenery (fsx_kord_rs.zip) that added the new runways, deleted the arpt_rnw.dat file, tried again and got the same error.

"Which solution did you try?"

I deleted the arpt_rnw.dat file and restarted the sim. The file did rebuild with a different file size, but the errors still exist.

"Is the problem with the 747 or only the NGX?"

The problem is with both.

It sounds like it may be the navdata file. I have never updated it and don't really know how to do it. I'm a better pilot than I am a computer tech.

"Is your problem at both KOAK and KORD?"

Yes, the problem is at both KOAK and KORD. If there are other airports that have added runways since FSX was released, I can try one of those to see if I get the same error. I know the runways listed on the errors don't exist in my sim. However, I added KORD scenery (fsx_kord_rs.zip) that added the new runways, deleted the arpt_rnw.dat file, tried again and got the same error.

"Which solution did you try?"

I deleted the arpt_rnw.dat file and restarted the sim. The file did rebuild with a different file size, but the errors still exist.

"Is the problem with the 747 or only the NGX?"

The problem is with both.

It sounds like it may be the navdata file. I have never updated it and don't really know how to do it. I'm a better pilot than I am a computer tech.

I think different kinds of issues are being mixed up here: errors caused by the ARPT_RNWY.dat file and errors caused by something else.  The "something else" is most likely old navigation data.  As Dan noted, the ARPT_RWY.dat file is not used by the NGX, so any problems in the NGX have nothing to do with that file.  It is used by the 777 and the just-released 747.

If you are seeing the exact same problem in the NGX and the 747, it is unlikely to be caused by the ARPT_RNWY.dat file.

It would be helpful if you posted the exact error messages you are seeing and at which airport, and also the Airac number and date.  This info should be on the Ident screen of either the 747 or the NGX.  Also, if you rename the NavData and SidStar folders in FSX\PMDG to something else, and run repair on the new 747 installer, you will get  an up-to-date Airac that can be used by the 747, 777 and NGX.  If repair doesn't work, you will have to do a full reinstall to get the up-to-date data.

Mike

bUmq4nJ.jpg?2

This.  Updating is easy, Navigraph has made an application that you download for free that will update the data for you.  All you need is a subscription, and they offer a 30 day data purchase.  Navigraph is here: https://www.navigraph.com/Default.aspx

They also offer very nice chart service, but for purposes of solving your problem you are interested in their FMS Data.

Dan Downs KCRP

It seems to be that there are two separate main threads to this issue, one for the PMDG 777 and this one for the PMDG 747 v3, however it appears to be the same issue. I have both softwares but have yet to test and see if I have this problem on my 747. I did encounter it on my 777 a couple days ago. I tried the suggested fix of deleting the "arpt_rwy.dat" file from the PMDG/Navdata file. It does regenerate itself as explained but it did not fix my problem. I don't have a subscription to Navigraph at the moment so I couldn't test using a newer navdata cycle. I just reinstalled my software from the download link and clicked the Repair option. This action of reloading the software even though the navdata cycle associated with the software hasn't changed, fixed the issue. My next step I would've taken if it didn't work would be to fully uninstall the software from my computer and conduct a fresh install but it never got to that point. For those of you out there that are still having this issue after attempting deleting the "arpt_rwy.dat" file, try a repair install and see if that helps. Worked for me.

If you have the 777 AND the 747, you would have been better off moving the navigation data to a temporary location, including the SIDSTAR folder, then running the repair option off the 747. Then once you test it to verify that it actually works, you could go ahead and delete the navigation data that you just moved. Doing this would give you the most recent navigation data that came with the 747 since it won't touch it if it sees that you have an older set available, as you would have if you have the 777 or even the 737 installed.

Captain Kevin

nGsKmfi.jpg

Air Kevin 124 heavy, wind calm, runway 4 left, cleared for take-off.

Live streams of my flights here.