Sign in to follow this  
AviatorMoser

FreeMesh X Global 1.0 - Release Announcement

This freeware is amazing! I've just flown into the Faroe Islands (EKVG) in the PMDG 737-700 and was in awe as to at how much definition this added having been skeptical at first.  Well done Daniel Moser and David Esnouf!

@ Daniel Moser

I am a member of a P3D Group on facebook and have presented there your project. look forward to the feedbacks.

This freeware is amazing! I've just flown into the Faroe Islands (EKVG) in the PMDG 737-700 and was in awe as to at how much definition this added having been skeptical at first.  Well done Daniel Moser and David Esnouf!

Haha, honestly the big improvements lie in South America, Africa, and Asia. And future improvements incoming (in form of bug fixes).

@ Daniel Moser

I am a member of a P3D Group on facebook and have presented there your project. look forward to the feedbacks.

Oh cool. I don't have Facebook, so I'm not sure what happens in that part of the world! Look forward to hear what people think and how I can improve things.

• Upvote 1

@ Daniel Moser

I can be you also help. will look at times the entire areas. if I find issues, I post the pictures here.

the group is not really large. about 120 people but all true flightsim fans. a few have already expressed an interest. only the size of downloads scares them a little. hahaha.

only the size of downloads scares them a little. hahaha.

Yeah, definitely not for the faint of heart! It's a very large set!

First of all, a huge thanks to Daniel and all involved in this release, it's really phenomenal! :smile:

Since I've embarked on an around-the-world flight, I wanted to check I had all necessary regions ahead of time to ensure I didn't wander into any bland, default areas. I couldn't find a coverage map so I have started to make one based on the filenames of the mesh files, assuming the latitude & longitude names are based on the lower-left corner of the 10° grid. I'll share it when complete. In doing so, I found a couple of areas of overlap where a 10x10° file exists in two different regions. Which one is used will obviously depend on which one is on top in the scenery library.

First, a little background: I have been using FMX since patch 1.03 I believe, so I don't know exactly when some of these files may have been added to my installation, or if any are leftovers from patches 1.01 to 1.04 which are no longer needed.

I found the file N30E030.bgl included in both Europe and Asia. The European version is 280MB, the Asian version is 79MB. I assume I should keep the European version due to the higher filesize (=higher resolution data).

I also found the file N70E020.bgl in both Europe and Asia. The European version is 22MB and the Asian version is 4MB. Again, I assume I should keep the European version.

Naturally, I realise it's possible that I have put a file in the wrong folder during install of one of the previous patches, though I was quite careful. In case this overlap happens with a standard installation + patching routine, other people may have the same on their computers. In case it could cause undesired effects or low-quality terrain areas I thought I'd post it up. As I didn't keep the original installation files, I can't check where these files came from easily. The created/modified dates are based on the time I downloaded them too.

Anyway, I'm looking forward to any future developments and will post up any anomalies I find on my travels.

First of all, a huge thanks to Daniel and all involved in this release, it's really phenomenal! :smile:

Since I've embarked on an around-the-world flight, I wanted to check I had all necessary regions ahead of time to ensure I didn't wander into any bland, default areas. I couldn't find a coverage map so I have started to make one based on the filenames of the mesh files, assuming the latitude & longitude names are based on the lower-left corner of the 10° grid. I'll share it when complete. In doing so, I found a couple of areas of overlap where a 10x10° file exists in two different regions. Which one is used will obviously depend on which one is on top in the scenery library.

First, a little background: I have been using FMX since patch 1.03 I believe, so I don't know exactly when some of these files may have been added to my installation, or if any are leftovers from patches 1.01 to 1.04 which are no longer needed.

I found the file N30E030.bgl included in both Europe and Asia. The European version is 280MB, the Asian version is 79MB. I assume I should keep the European version due to the higher filesize (=higher resolution data).

I also found the file N70E020.bgl in both Europe and Asia. The European version is 22MB and the Asian version is 4MB. Again, I assume I should keep the European version.

Naturally, I realise it's possible that I have put a file in the wrong folder during install of one of the previous patches, though I was quite careful. In case this overlap happens with a standard installation + patching routine, other people may have the same on their computers. In case it could cause undesired effects or low-quality terrain areas I thought I'd post it up. As I didn't keep the original installation files, I can't check where these files came from easily. The created/modified dates are based on the time I downloaded them too.

Anyway, I'm looking forward to any future developments and will post up any anomalies I find on my travels.

If you did put them in the folders, then so did I. Now I am wondering what is right. For now I added ".off" to the end of the file names of the two files in the Asia folder.

The N70E020.bgl was an early mistake in the 1.0 release. The Asian version is lower in resolution than the European one, so the European one will automatically take priority. This was a reported sometime a month after the 1.0 release, but since it's a rather small mistake without any negative effects, I just let it be.

Now the other file is a new mistake! It seems to have popped up in the 1.05 patch when I put it in the Europe folder when I meant for it to be in the Asia folder to replace the original. Overwriting the smaller file with the bigger one will make it the way I intended! Thanks for sharing!

Hello,

Do I need to install the original package before installing the patch? Im a new user of this freeware mesh and not sure that these files are "the package" or simply a patch?

Thanks

Intel I7 12700KF / 32 GB Ram-3600mhz / Windows 11 - 64 bit / NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3060TI / 32" Acer Monitor, Honeycomb alpha/bravo, CH rudder pedals, Tobii 5, Buttkicker, Logitech radio panel. 

Hello,

Do I need to install the original package before installing the patch? Im a new user of this freeware mesh and not sure that these files are "the package" or simply a patch?

Thanks

The links above including the original package AND the patch. You need all of them.

Rhys, FTX Vector doesn't have VAS "issues". When you add terrain data VAS usage will increase - it's simple logic. You can reduce the VAS footprint by reducing the number of roads and traffic, but there is no free lunch. If you want a more realistic world, it means that more data will have to be added to the simulator.

Yes, I suppose I worded that completely wrong. True there is no free lunch, but it seems that just installing vector, even after disabling all of its options, drives vas useage sky high and induces stutters. It's much less noticeable now with the new 980ti and deliding allowing the new 4.8 clock speed, but still there. I suppose it's worth it for all those excellent rivers and coast lines!

Rhys,

I'm running PMDG B777, Global and Vector, ASN and the Freeware Mesh and my VAS is normally around 2.5.  My video card is a GTX660 on a three year old machine that I do not Overclock.

blaustern

I Earned My Spurs in Vietnam

Rhys, that is sadly the case. More data = more processing.

I have a gut feeling that the efficiency of the ESP terrain engine isn't top notch. Throw at it 10s or 100s of addons from various developers, and it becomes a beast that is fairly challenging to manage. So in the end, one has to prioritize.

Simmerhead - Making the virtual skies unsafe since 1987! 

Hello,

Thanks

Just for clarification, the 1.05 patch is a comprehensive patch that contains all the fixes supplied in 1.01-1.04, and also contains a large upgrade for the Middle East and Southwest/West Asia. You'll need the 1.0 release, and the 1.05 patch to bring it fully up to date.

Yeah, I know. It's a lot of data. But it's nearly the entire world in LOD10 within a single package, which I don't has been achieved before in any freeware or payware product.

The N70E020.bgl was an early mistake in the 1.0 release. The Asian version is lower in resolution than the European one, so the European one will automatically take priority. This was a reported sometime a month after the 1.0 release, but since it's a rather small mistake without any negative effects, I just let it be.

Now the other file is a new mistake! It seems to have popped up in the 1.05 patch when I put it in the Europe folder when I meant for it to be in the Asia folder to replace the original. Overwriting the smaller file with the bigger one will make it the way I intended! Thanks for sharing!

Thanks for the confirmation on those. I've made the corrections.

Although not finished, I figured I would share my in-progress coverage map. I mainly wanted to know where the boundaries between Europe, Asia and Africa fell, to ensure I had coverage for my flights. But I guess I won't be downloading the American regions for a while as my around-the-world trip sees me flying east from the UK via Southern Europe and the Middle East. In a single-engine GA, I won't be getting to the Americas any time soon!

The two areas I questioned are highlighted yellow. Otherwise the key is as follows:

E = Europe

A = Asia

AF = Africa

AU = Australasia

Hopefully nobody's geography is so bad that it needs explaining but thought I better state it just in case :wink:

24606784820_5ae70e5005_b.jpg

It was quickly made with an image I found via Google Image search and the text overlay was done using OpenOffice Calc (equivalent to Excel). It's not pretty (especially because I can't find out how to hide the row & column lines in Calc), but it's a start :)

Hope it's useful for someone - and I hope it's accurate.

• Upvote 1