Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Track IR 5!

TrackIR 5 has been released! All new hardware (greater VOF, higher resolution) and all new software, which is also compatible with the TIR 4! (And the TIR 3 in the near future.) Did anybody already try the new software? Does it work? Is it different? Is only the software different or did something improve (for as far there is anything to improve... :( )?P.S. For everyone who has been thinking about getting the TrackIR but was put off by the price: they still sell version 4, and now for a lot less!P.S. The TrackClip Pro hasn't been updated or anything, so anyone who wants to replace his current TIR 4 doesn't have to buy a new Clip or anything.

Help AVSIM continue to serve you!
Please donate today!

Myself, I am using Hat Track from VRInsight.Does the same as Track IR and half the price.I see almost no framerate loss.

For people that already have TIR 4, do you use the clip on a headset or a ballcap with the sensors?
I use the clip on a ballcap and it works very well. You need to make sure that you don't have any bright lights behind you.
Also, what if you only get 15 FPS in FSX, is TIR 4 still worth it?
A can't notice any differense in performance when using TrackIR. But I'll make a test and return with an answer in a few minutes. Just hold on.Edited: Made a test flight with and without TrackIR. No difference in average fps on my system.

Thanks for the heads-up!I was just about to order v4.
No doubt be a while before it's available in the UK :(

The "TrackClip" can attach to something like a headset, right? Or an ear? (don't laugh, I'd clip it to my ear if it worked) :)It would seem odd to me, to have to dig out my old Expos ballcap just so I can use TrackIR.

The "TrackClip" can attach to something like a headset, right? Or an ear? (don't laugh, I'd clip it to my ear if it worked) :)It would seem odd to me, to have to dig out my old Expos ballcap just so I can use TrackIR.
Rhett,They sell a IR reflector called TrackClip Pro, which is designed to be attached to a headset. NaturalPoint website seems overloaded at the moment. Here is a link to Aersoft webshop showin TrackClip Pro: http://www.aerosoft.com/cgi-local/re/ibosh...178684380,10457

It is my understanding and personal experience that the TrackClip Pro (headset piece) is more accurate partly because of the active LEDs. Make sure you manually select it in the software settings as it is not the default when installing the software. Haven't tried v4.1.37 yet with my TrackIR4. V5 still indicates beta...

No doubt be a while before it's available in the UK :(
I planned ordering it from Amazon.com. There aren

Actually what I meant when I said I only get 15 FPS was, does the view get distracting if you only have 15 fps to play with? IE I'm looking around with 15 fps instead of 30.... is it still worthwhile?Can someone lock @ 15 fps and use TIR and see if it feels yucky.

Actually what I meant when I said I only get 15 FPS was, does the view get distracting if you only have 15 fps to play with? IE I'm looking around with 15 fps instead of 30.... is it still worthwhile?Can someone lock @ 15 fps and use TIR and see if it feels yucky.
Well... I normally have smooth flights, but when I look around you somehow feel the computer is struggeling to show you all changes to the view. This isn't really noticable in fps, but looking around just isn't always as smooth as is simply looking in one direction. Not strange because the computer has a LOT to do when you turn your head around! But I think you can easily check it yourself by using the mouseview! The effect is the same. If looking (quickly) around with the mouseview is okay on your computer, I think TrackIR would be okay too. Of course there will be an extra program running in the background, but I've never really felt it's a heavy program or that it eats fps... And of course using the TrackIT will result in a lot more looking around than you would ever do with the mouse, so this MIGHT result in a feeling that the flying is more choppy...

So they still offer version 4 and now 5 for sale. I'm really tempted on getting this as a Christmas gift to myself. Are there some major differences that affect FSX that would made my choice clear? I've seen the product comparsion table but I'm not making anything out of it.Any info would be greatly appreciated.

http://www.naturalpoint.com/trackir/From their site it looks like the TIR 4 + headset clip can be had for 120 bucks, while the TIR 5 + clip is still $170I think the TIR 5 has a greater resolution.... not sure what that actually translates into as far as FSX goes.... I know a lot of people here use TIR 4 and love it.

The V5 software is compatible with V4 hardware.The one issue I had was that for the first couple days Track IR kept forgetting I use the Track Clip Pro and not the hat clip. But that problem went away, and there is definitely better performance with the new software even with old hardware.Donald

So they still offer version 4 and now 5 for sale. I'm really tempted on getting this as a Christmas gift to myself. Are there some major differences that affect FSX that would made my choice clear? I've seen the product comparsion table but I'm not making anything out of it.Any info would be greatly appreciated.
A comparision video of the tracking differences canbe seen here - http://www.naturalpoint.com/trackir/produc...&modal=true

Thanks Vince, makes much more sense now.
No issues, glad to help.

No issues, glad to help.
Getting any idea time wise for software Version 5.1 Vince, my TrackIR3 is still working just fine When it DOES go bad, you can be sure I'll be buying another TrackIR, best thing I've ever done for my flight simming. Or is it not working out so well for the older unit?Thanks,

Getting any idea time wise for software Version 5.1 Vince, my TrackIR3 is still working just fine When it DOES go bad, you can be sure I'll be buying another TrackIR, best thing I've ever done for my flight simming. Or is it not working out so well for the older unit?Thanks,
Still no time line set for the developers to start working on it. The TrackIR team is currently tied up working on some other projects for our other product lines, so it will be at least next year before they can start to develop on 5.1

Well, I bought it and should be in the mail shortly. Hopefully this is money well spent, reading about all the users enjoying it a lot. Can't wait. :D

Well, I bought it and should be in the mail shortly. Hopefully this is money well spent, reading about all the users enjoying it a lot. Can't wait. :D
LOL, I am totally blown away! Amazing how this thing makes life easier in the VC. Fantastic concept guys, I love it. I have a little hard time getting used to it to be honest though in terms of how the system is sensing my head movement and all but I'm sure it'll come with time. I'm on my first flight as we speak. :D