Sign in to follow this  
Sesquashtoo

The FSX world is my oyster, for I see it with an i7-975!

Guest SuperFortress
Looking at you specs, If you got the i7 AND DDR3 1600 CL6 memory AND a GTX285 then yes absolutely you would see gains. You have to replace that 8800 GTS card though. You may want a Vraptor as well. The biggest gains would be in smoothness and clarity and ability to run higher settings, with some framerate improvements but remember, you won't get huge framerate improvements with ANYTHING out there these days yet. But you don't need more than 30 fps.I would never go back to the core2 and DDR2. It was good until the i7 came along but now there's no comparison.-jk
I completely agree with you about not needing anything more than 30FPS but what I really wanna know is will I get that kind of FPS flying over NYC with everything maxed out EXCEPT the AI? Thank you.

I would like to see some screens, how good it really does look. :)

I am really interested about the diference in performance between an 8600 and a I7 975.- Which performance increase can you estimate you got in terms of percentage.- In my case my 8600 is Overclocked to 4.4 Gb, with a GForce 8800 GTS 512, and executed the same trial you did, ( Default B 737, KATL, UT2 full with jetways enabled, graphics sliders full right, no default AI traffic, airport vehicules minimun, road vehicules 25% ) and obtained similar results.- At which clock speed you did the trial ?.-
Soldano, that's a difficult question to answer as it was not possible to do a direct comparison being as I sold off my old MOBO, Memory and CPU. I can say that having run with FSX from RTM with the E8500 I knew its capabilities well and qualitively the I7 gives little change when flying high (I have my Frame rates locked at 35). The I7 comes into its own when things get busy . For example I went to KSEA with the E8500 and full traffic and the frame rate reduced to 11FPS best. When I went with the I7 installed the frame rate dropped to about 11FPS and then rose back to 35FPS very quickly, something the E8500 could not achieve. (11FPS on the E8500 was choppy on the I7 it was smooth). Whilst running FSX I run ASA, UT2 and TrackIR. If you you are looking for a purchase recommendation then your out of luck. Beauty is sometimes in the eye of the beholder and what is worthwhile to me may not be the same to you. Just read the other entries in this topic to get the general feeling. Your trial may not be the same as mine because I did not give my settings . I would be a fool to try and quantify the value of the I7 upgrade and won't go there because to some degree it is subjective. I will repeat what I feel, the I7 upgrade was worthwhile in my case. As to your question on clock speed, I can't remember either 3.75 or 3.95, in FSX I can't tell the difference. Don't get hung up on one performance indicator that's a mug's game.

John

Rig: Gigabyte B550 AORUS Master Motherboard, AMD Ryzen 7 3800XT CPU, 32GB DDR4 Ram, Gigabyte RTX 2070 Super Graphics,  Samsung Odyssey  wide view display (5120 x 1440 pixels) with VSYNC on.

The wait is over.The Eagle has landedBliss is here....and on, and on....1. Super crisp textures2. Super crisp sound with fantastic engine rasp where you'd expect it.3. STELLAR control and force-effect with my new Logitech Force 3D Pro (this...needs a review all on its own...with frame rates either locked at a steady never-go-below 30, or unlimited at 60/70 fps.)After having set up UTX Can and U.S., GEXenhanced, etc on the new 730x, I just came off of my first flight.I am blown away. I can't BELIEVE what visual CRAP I had been so used to...and put up with, for having no choice. FSX-UTX-GEXhanced is simply BEAUTIFUL to behold when everything is crisp from 10 feet off the ground, up to the FL's.Edit: and oh...I haven't even tried yet to overclock yet, the i7-975...all this with the system idling along at stock settings. I feel no pressure to overclock..until I get some flying time to bring me up to speed of what the developers WANTED FSX to look and run like! :) The way I 'see' it' if you excuse the pun...overclocking will just be 'gravy'.I am happy, and satisfied BEYOND BELIEF. This 730x/i7-975/nVidia GTX-285 was WORTH EVERY DOLLAR SPENT!THIS......THIS......is Flight Simulation, folks....Cheers!, and back to the sky....a totally REAL experience now! Later,....Mitch
Well spoken! :( 3 month ago I had the very same feeling.My first flight on my new i7.What a kick!hehepedemeyer

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------Well...I don't think that I really WAS enjoying 'flight simulation' until this current rig. I think I was enjoying 'flight cripilization'.
Flight Cripilization :( Now that's a good one.Really Mitch I did not know you were running FSX on a P4. No wonder you are so blown away. Congrats

Rhett

7800X3D ♣ 32 GB G.Skill TridentZ  Gigabyte 4090  Crucial P5 Plus 2TB 

Soldano, that's a difficult question to answer as it was not possible to do a direct comparison being as I sold off my old MOBO, Memory and CPU. I can say that having run with FSX from RTM with the E8500 I knew its capabilities well and qualitively the I7 gives little change when flying high (I have my Frame rates locked at 35). The I7 comes into its own when things get busy . For example I went to KSEA with the E8500 and full traffic and the frame rate reduced to 11FPS best. When I went with the I7 installed the frame rate dropped to about 11FPS and then rose back to 35FPS very quickly, something the E8500 could not achieve. (11FPS on the E8500 was choppy on the I7 it was smooth). Whilst running FSX I run ASA, UT2 and TrackIR. If you you are looking for a purchase recommendation then your out of luck. Beauty is sometimes in the eye of the beholder and what is worthwhile to me may not be the same to you. Just read the other entries in this topic to get the general feeling. Your trial may not be the same as mine because I did not give my settings . I would be a fool to try and quantify the value of the I7 upgrade and won't go there because to some degree it is subjective. I will repeat what I feel, the I7 upgrade was worthwhile in my case. As to your question on clock speed, I can't remember either 3.75 or 3.95, in FSX I can't tell the difference. Don't get hung up on one performance indicator that's a mug's game.
Thanks John

----------------------------------------------------------------------It is a lot of money, I guess...but then, when you compare it to the cost of getting your actual P.P.L with multi-engine, night rating...and the cost of renting or owning an aircraft of any of what you can 'fly' in FSX...it becomes most reasonable.I just paid out over $4,000.00 with taxes and a few other items as well....BUT...it has proved to be the BEST MONEY SPENT so far in this hobby since 1984. My FSX world, now can bring a tear to your eyes! The performance is SUPERB! Absolutley....superb!Save your pennies....for you will NOT regret the money spent, once you are able to lift your jaw off of the ground, and get over the shock of what is on your screen....in front of you.....:)Mitch
Yes. A PPL is real value. However, FSX is incredible and you fly when you want to and in any kind of weather. I've always vehemently argued with people who call Flight Simulation a "game" and justify the true simulation as something professional pilots USE to learn to fly better. I'm addicted, of course, and 1 week from Wednesday I'll have my system finished from Jetline in Florida. It will be the best system available for FSX today. It will cost me over $4000 US dollars, but I should be good for quite a few years. To me...it's well worth it because FSX provides me with many, many hours of good therapy and enjoyable flying. You can't do it with all the addons and eye candy available UNLESS you have a powerful system. EVEN my Wife agrees that its good for me...after working a long, hard day. So, in conclusion...if you can afford it or even if you have to stretch a little, there is nothing I can think of that is a better investment than a powerful, super system that gives fluidity (as real as it gets), great realistic scenery and a virtual cockpit that feels real. It's good for what ails you.Stan

Guest Nick_N
Flight Cripilization :( Now that's a good one.Really Mitch I did not know you were running FSX on a P4. No wonder you are so blown away. Congrats
which is why he does not know by visual response/sim ability the difference between 1066 C5 and 1600 C6 low timing memory Had he been running a modern system all along, he would see and know the difference right awayPerception in platform ability plays a huge role in understanding hardware and what to buy to get all the goodies

Guest acer99

mitch ,,I couldnt agree with you more.I have had my system ( i7-965 ) with Nivdia 285 as well since Feb, and havent looked back.. FTX is just awesome. So far I havent had a need to overclock as I run almost max and things are smooth with good frames except in big cities where it drops to the low teens...Terry

The wait is over.The Eagle has landedBliss is here....and on, and on....1. Super crisp textures2. Super crisp sound with fantastic engine rasp where you'd expect it.3. STELLAR control and force-effect with my new Logitech Force 3D Pro (this...needs a review all on its own...with frame rates either locked at a steady never-go-below 30, or unlimited at 60/70 fps.)After having set up UTX Can and U.S., GEXenhanced, etc on the new 730x, I just came off of my first flight.I am blown away. I can't BELIEVE what visual CRAP I had been so used to...and put up with, for having no choice. FSX-UTX-GEXhanced is simply BEAUTIFUL to behold when everything is crisp from 10 feet off the ground, up to the FL's.Edit: and oh...I haven't even tried yet to overclock yet, the i7-975...all this with the system idling along at stock settings. I feel no pressure to overclock..until I get some flying time to bring me up to speed of what the developers WANTED FSX to look and run like! :) The way I 'see' it' if you excuse the pun...overclocking will just be 'gravy'.I am happy, and satisfied BEYOND BELIEF. This 730x/i7-975/nVidia GTX-285 was WORTH EVERY DOLLAR SPENT!THIS......THIS......is Flight Simulation, folks....Cheers!, and back to the sky....a totally REAL experience now! Later,....Mitch
Why would one spend $ 1000 for the I7-975 when you can get virtually the same results with the I-920? The 920, 940 can also have QPI speeds of 6.4GT/s according to every report/review I've read. So again why spend $ 700 more?Craig

To avoid overclocking :(Just bought an HP Elite I7-920, performance is better than my stock Q 6600, and these HP cannot be overclock (unless someone knows how ??? :( ) so i will most probably upgrade to that I7-975 in a year or so, hopefully price will decrease....Alain from Montreal

Why would one spend $ 1000 for the I7-975 when you can get virtually the same results with the I-920? ...Craig
I'm inclined to agree with you Craig, overclocking a 920 was just a matter of 2-3 bios changes for 4GHz here.But I'm sure the 975's are nice too :)Be interesting to compare full resolution screen shots between systems with similar settings at specific places.I think a tuned 920 system would equal a turned 975 but I'd love to be proved wrong?Even if the 975 hits 4.2+ vs 4+ on a 920 I'm not convinced you would see any difference with FSX,in complex areas with high traffic on FSX seems to need 8GHz + :)

Hi John,Looking at the FSX operation only, what is better with the new I7 975 @ 4 GHz compared to the former E8500 @ 4 GHZ?
From everything I have read I would say an I7 920 which have reached 4Ghz for $700 less.Craig

Hi John,Looking at the FSX operation only, what is better with the new I7 975 @ 4 GHz compared to the former E8500 @ 4 GHZ?
A new I7 920 which can be OC to 4 Ghz as well but for $ 700 US less.Craig