Sign in to follow this  
bojote

Bojote's Shader 3.0 mod for FSX

*******,Ive done some direct comparisons between shaders and it is definitely this shader mod thats giving the performance increase with my ATI card, with any cloud and or smoke/fog. The 10.4 driver is giving a little better SSAA, but the 5870 seems to very much like Shader model 3.0.
Craig, it doesn't surprise me.. thats why I was so interested about ATI users feedback. ATI degraded performance under heavy weather has been a long standing problem with FSX (and even FS9) using a newer Shader Model for cloud rendering is definitely a must for ATI cards in FSX, thats what this mod provides. and now they have vSync as well, you can say ATI's are a good (if not better) choice than 480's Unfortunately, nVidia users do not benefit from it :( no perf gain at all... and IQ wise, I really don't see much diff and if there is, then is REALLY hard to tell.

*******, which of these seemingly related entries, should I be keeping or eliminating?[GRAPHICS]SHADER_CACHE_PRIMED_10=1693458433SHADER_CACHE_PRIMED=1693458433STALE_BUFFER_THRESHOLD=2147483647 // (2048 megabytes)None, don't touch those.I thought the STALE_BUFFER_THRESHOLD was suppose to be 1024 not 2G?

Thanks

Tom

My Youtube Videos!

http://www.youtube.com/user/tf51d

I thought the STALE_BUFFER_THRESHOLD was suppose to be 1024 not 2G?
True, but its not related to the shaders or their behavior. However, your point is valid, STALE_BUFFER_THRESHOLD max value is 1024 not 2048 (2G) and its represented in KB not Bytes, so:STALE_BUFFER_THRESHOLD=1024should be the correct one.

Check out how the runways look when wet! To my eye they look a lot better with patchy damp areas

Check out how the runways look when wet! To my eye they look a lot better with patchy damp areas
Hmm intesting.. is this with an ATI or nVidia card? I really did not check wet runways... probably they look nicer :)

Hmm intesting.. is this with an ATI or nVidia card? I really did not check wet runways... probably they look nicer :)
GTX 285 2gb versionExcellent work *******, you should consider making an unofficial FSX service pack 3!!!!!!!!!!!!

I thought this too, *******. The water on the pan/runways looked smoother.. much more like real water..... not so "bumpy" as the original. I wasn't sure it was the placebo effect, but someone else noticing too... ATI.

i7 4790K@4.8GHz | 32GB RAM | EVGA RTX 3080Ti | Maximus Hero VII | 512GB 860 Pro | 512GB 850 Pro | 256GB 840 Pro | 2TB 860 QVO | 1TB 870 EVO | Seagate 3TB Cloud | EVGA 1000 GQ | Win10 Pro | EK Custom water cooling.

GTX 285 2gb versionExcellent work *******,
Thanks... You'll all get a PDF final document, be patient :) I'll make the announcement when its done.
you should consider making an unofficial FSX service pack 3!!!!!!!!!!!!
Right ;) the guide should be enough..

Guest 413X3

I'm getting annoying square textures around my airplane when flying at high altitude over water. What can I do to fix them?

I'm getting annoying square textures around my airplane when flying at high altitude over water. What can I do to fix them?
this should fix it:[TERRAIN]MIN_DETAIL_TEXTURE_LEVEL=21 // Default is 15MAX_DETAIL_TEXTURE_LEVEL=21 // Default is 21however, I don't see how that is related to shaders, probably some other tweaks.

So how does this work with REX? And it is needed? (i mean water looks awesome already)

Guest lemor

That's my question too!

So how does this work with REX? And it is needed? (i mean water looks awesome already)

You'll all get a PDF final document, be patient :) I'll make the announcement when its done.the guide should be enough..
******* - when you create this addition to the guide/bible - would you add in the "uiautomation.dll" mod that fixes the FSX on Win7-64 freezing, please. I rebuilt my FSX at the end of last week and forgot this mod, and - when I needed it - on approach to PDX with the Maddog/FSPax on Sunday evening, she froze, and then CTD'd after I 3-fingered it. I was purty upset, as the sim is now almost perfect...... many thanks..

i7 4790K@4.8GHz | 32GB RAM | EVGA RTX 3080Ti | Maximus Hero VII | 512GB 860 Pro | 512GB 850 Pro | 256GB 840 Pro | 2TB 860 QVO | 1TB 870 EVO | Seagate 3TB Cloud | EVGA 1000 GQ | Win10 Pro | EK Custom water cooling.

Guest 413X3

Isn't there another dll file to put in the main fsx folder as well? Or is it just that animation one

Guest lemor

Not Just win7 64. I had to do the same for my win7 32.

******* - when you create this addition to the guide/bible - would you add in the "uiautomation.dll" mod that fixes the FSX on Win7-64 freezing, please. I rebuilt my FSX at the end of last week and forgot this mod, and - when I needed it - on approach to PDX with the Maddog/FSPax on Sunday evening, she froze, and then CTD'd after I 3-fingered it. I was purty upset, as the sim is now almost perfect...... many thanks..