Sign in to follow this  
Wolfko

FSGenesis Production Stymied

I reveived this newsletter of FSG today:"Production Stymied by Lack of SalesOnce again we have been forced by a precipitous drop in sales to seek outside sources of income. As a result, recent production has been severely limited. The reality is that economic darwinism will determine whether or not FSGenesis can continue. Either sales will return to adequate levels, or FSGenesis will, after more than 12 years of serving the flightsim community, be forced to fold up our tent due to market apathy.We will, of course, continue to fulfill what orders come in, and will continue to develop as time permits in a part-time basis, but current and recent revenues have been sorely inadequate to support full-time production. Instead, time that would otherwise be used in development must now be used in seeking out alternative income sources. We obviously would prefer to continue development, but the sad reality is that sales have not been enough to pay the bills or feed my kids. Therefore, the market will now determine what lies next for FSG.Thanks Justin\FSG"I own some of their products and they are really top notch. It really would be said if they are gone. So hopefully Justin gets lots of support i. e. business from the community in order to enable him to continue with FSG!Wolfgang

I just finished a 6 month freeware project. If I had to rely on income from it I would be very concerned, given the time I invested in it. Therefore I will buy a FSG product this weekend.

Regards,

Max    

(YSSY)

i7-12700K | Corsair PC4-28700 DDR4 32Gb | Gigabyte RTX4090 24Gb | Gigabyte Z690 AORUS ELITE DDR4 | Corsair HX1200 PSU

You forgot to mention that FSG is having a 25% off sale.Anyone who has been thinking about buying mesh now it the time.Towards the top right of the store webpage explains how to get the 25% off.

Yes, Justin really needs our support.Thanks for the heads-up Wolfgang

Best regards,
David Roch

AMD Ryzen 5950X //  Asus ROG CROSSHAIR VIII EXTREME //  32Gb Corsair Vengeance DDR4 4000 MHz CL17 //  EVGA GeForce RTX 3090 FTW3 ULTRA GAMING //  2x SSD 1Tb Corsair MP600 PCI-E4 NVM //  Corsair 1600W PSU & Samsung Odyssey Arc 55" curved monitor
Thrustmaster Controllers: TCA Yoke Pack Boeing Edition + TCA Captain Pack Airbus Edition + Pendular Rudder.

Yes, Justin really needs our support.Thanks for the heads-up Wolfgang
I am a lifetime, galaxy-level member; which was a bargain. However, with FSX the last of the line, how much more terrain do we need? Hasn't it all be done now? Justin may have sold his products to all that will likely buy them. The airport and aircraft add-on area is still really wanting for airports and aircraft - perhaps he could retool his skills in that area?Don't get me wrong, I want to see him survive, but I wonder if all the mesh scenery we need has already been done?

Jeff Bea

I am an avid globetrotter with my trusty Lufthansa B777F, Polar Air Cargo B744F, and Atlas Air B748F.

.....and look at all the airfields that are missing in X-plane.X-plane is a nice sim, but I don't fly it much because there are no buildings at airports.It would be a great opportunity to come up with generic buildings as a start.Also, there are a lot of opportunities for small airfields in the USA......Orbix is doing well with Twin Oaks and Darington, for example.I have all the mesh stuff I intend to install from Gensis....he needs new products.Bill Clark

Windows 10 Pro, Ver 21H2

CPU I5-8600K 5.0GHz, GPU Nvidia RTX 3090 VRAM 24GB

Gigabyte Z370 Gaming 7, 2TB M2.NVMe, RAM 32GB

I used to have a Galaxy Membership but I didn't renew it. I always felt that adding mesh posed a trade off when using add on airport scenery due to plateaus. For me, add on airport scenery will always win out. I know they have fixed a lot of them but there is no way they could fix all of them. As a result, I didn't install mesh when I switched over to FSX.I still think there are opportunities for landclass - perhaps for smaller areas with better detail. I don't know anyone that does a highly accurate waterclass add on.I would love to see really good landcalss/waterclass/mesh for the Yucatan Peninsula. I would love to see Kukulkan Blvd running through the HZ with cars, proper beaches and high rise hotels lining the strip. I wish the lagoon's water was the right color. Of course, they would have to make sure it was compatible with Tropical Sim's MMUN. I am sure we all have our little corner of the world that we wish someone would fix up and I think products of this nature would fit well with their previous products.In the end, I think successful developers have to work with other developers to make sure their products play nice. From the outside looking in, it seems like ORBX and Flight 1 have coordinated their efforts well to make sure people could use PNW, GEX and UT at the same time.

MSFS Premium Deluxe Edition; Windows 11 Pro, I9-9900k; Asus Maximus XI Hero; Asus TUF RTX3080TI; 32GB G.Skill Ripjaw DDR4 3600; 2X Samsung 1TB 970EVO; NZXT Kraken X63; Seasonic Prime PX-1000, LG 48" C1 Series OLED, Honeycomb Yoke & TQ, CH Rudder Pedals, Logitech G13 Gamepad 

I am a lifetime, galaxy-level member; which was a bargain. However, with FSX the last of the line, how much more terrain do we need? Hasn't it all be done now? Justin may have sold his products to all that will likely buy them. The airport and aircraft add-on area is still really wanting for airports and aircraft - perhaps he could retool his skills in that area?Don't get me wrong, I want to see him survive, but I wonder if all the mesh scenery we need has already been done?
Think I have to agree with you there.

Justin is a really good guy and gives from the heart and has worked tirelessly for the FS hobby world and I have been supporting him since my FS9 days.I met Justin at the AVSIM conference in Bellevue, WA a few years back and he struck me as a down to earth kind of guy.At the awards banquet Justin won an aircraft addon as a prize and he unselfishly gave it to my son soon afterwards saying my son would like enjoy it more than he would.It would be sad to see him go.

\Robert Hamlich/

In the FS2004 days, FSG was a requirement for me, but when I got FSX and the out-of-the-box scenery was as good as the FSG scenery I never bought another one. Dont get me wrong, it was a great product but a bit dated now unfortunately IMO. I'd love to see him develop other sceneries because from my experiences with the company and the support I know it's top notch.

Noah Bryant

I hope he is able to continue with his business. I have a lifetime membership that I purchased when FSX came out and once I bought all my stuff I have never had to order anything else. I think his business is a tough one because like someone else said, once you produce something that covers the world and the majority of hardcore simmers buy it, whats left to do. Perhaps he should look at getting into developing airports or photoscenery. There are plenty of airports to develope and the same goes for photo scenery.What ever he decides to do, I hope he finds something that he likes and looks forward to doing every day.

Avsim Board of Directors | Avsim Forums Moderator

"Production Stymied by Lack of SalesOnce again we have been forced by a precipitous drop in sales to seek outside sources of income. As a result, recent production has been severely limited. The reality is that economic darwinism will determine whether or not FSGenesis can continue. Either sales will return to adequate levels, or FSGenesis will, after more than 12 years of serving the flightsim community, be forced to fold up our tent due to market apathy.
This says more about FSG's attitude to sales than it does about his customers. It is simple supply and demand - if the demand has dropped off, then, well, that says something about the products being offered. People obviously don't want to buy them for whatever reason. But it does no good to bemoan that customers won't buy your products any more - that indicates that something is wrong with what you are selling. Reassess your product line and perhaps branch off into something new that allows you to regenerate sales and increase demand again. The FSX addon world is still alive and kicking, and there are so many airports that need an upgrade from the default. With Justin's skills in mesh and landclass design a jump to airport design is within his grasp.

This says more about FSG's attitude to sales than it does about his customers. It is simple supply and demand - if the demand has dropped off, then, well, that says something about the products being offered.
I disagree. I believe that the market has been saturated for the most part. In other words, those who would buy already have...

Fr. Bill    

AOPA Member: 07141481 AARP Member: 3209010556

Avsim Board of Directors | Avsim Forums Moderator

I disagree. I believe that the market has been saturated for the most part. In other words, those who would buy already have...
I agree.Companies go through this all the time. Justin needs to diversify.

MSFS Premium Deluxe Edition; Windows 11 Pro, I9-9900k; Asus Maximus XI Hero; Asus TUF RTX3080TI; 32GB G.Skill Ripjaw DDR4 3600; 2X Samsung 1TB 970EVO; NZXT Kraken X63; Seasonic Prime PX-1000, LG 48" C1 Series OLED, Honeycomb Yoke & TQ, CH Rudder Pedals, Logitech G13 Gamepad 

I agree.Companies go through this all the time. Justin needs to diversify.
would be great for Justin if he were bale to combine his product with something else like UTX or GEX, that way he gets the business and maybe more people who have not purchased one would pay a few extra dollars but get the added mesh as a benefit.