Sign in to follow this  
FLEX1978

Sim rudder technique

that's an awesome piece of information. Thanks so much James

Hi,Speaking from the point of view of operating the B738W in the real world, FS has very limited capabilities when it comes to crosswinds, in the real world the approach regime is a lot more dynamic with winds shifting and in a lot of cases in the stronger crosswind conditions you experience a certain degree of windshear. FS is unable to replicate the dynamic environment that we face in day to day operations. The B738 can be really unforgiving and can be quite twichy and very sensitive, especially the aileron channel, to fly in the landing configuration,more so in the F40 configuration!The are several techniques, again i'm referring to the techniques used as per my airlines operating manual, the autopilot on the aircraft can land with a maximum crosswind component of 15 knots, however during the flare the aircraft does not decrab it lands with the crab in which can be a little uncomfortable as the aircraft lurches after touchdown. In wet runway conditions we are encouraged to land land with the crab in. In gusty, wet/slippery runway, strong crosswind conditions, great care is advised as not only is it advisable to land with the crab, one has to be very careful when selecting reverse thrust the aircraft may well start to slide,in this instant we select idle reverse and touch the toe pedals to disconnect the autobrake and brake manually. When the aircraft is is back on the centreline you can once again cautiously use reverse thrust beyond the idle selection.In the crosswinds, in dry conditions we tend to use the decrab method doing so in the later stages of the approach (during the flare) remembering to apply opposite aileron to prevent the wing drop. It is difficult to give a precise time when to gently apply rudder to straighten her out but you use your judgement, most of the time you get it right and sometimes not so! I'm sure every pilotyou ask will tell you no 2 landings are ever the same:-)We dont tend to use wing down method as this greatly increases the risk of stiking the engine pod or even the aircraft so in the B738 it is not recommended.Crosswinds can be quite tricky even more so when you aircraft has huge winglets!Hope this helps,James

that's an awesome piece of information. Thanks so much James
Afternoon chaps,You are more than welcome!!Happy landings:-)James

That still didn't explain if the rudder is or isn't used. Now, looking back on all my areodynamics classes back when I was in the military, if an aileron is pushing up on a wing, the opposite has to go down, you just pivot on the tip of a wing (at least in an airliner, sport/aerobatic aircraft are typically flown outside of a standard flight envelope). Once you do that, you initiate a turn, not track straight. How does one land in high crosswinds if the rudder is not used?

ng_driver.jpg

Supporter GhostRecon.net | AGgReSsion

WhiteKnight77's Place

Mike Shannon

How does one land in high crosswinds if the rudder is not used?
In a full crab with a jolt. I've flown a lot of different aircraft from the DC-3 to the DC-10 and always used the rudder to keep the nose straight and the aileron to stop the drift. Bill

I Earned My Spurs in Vietnam

Mike,kind of hard to de-crab an airliner without the use of rudder. There are of course various reasons for NOT using the rudder during a crosswind landing, in situations where de-crab is not desired. Many airlines state in their SOPs not to de-crab if the runway is contaminated with water, slush, wet snow and stuff like that.Regards,Markus

Markus Burkhard

I use rudder all the time... 'cept I have a twist joystick... I know I should be shot lol

| FAA ZMP |
| PPL ASEL |
| Windows 11 | MSI Z690 Tomahawk | 12700K 4.7GHz | MSI RTX 4080 | 32GB 5600 MHz DDR5 | 500GB Samsung 860 Evo SSD | 2x 2TB Samsung 970 Evo M.2 | EVGA 850W Gold | Corsair 5000X | HP G2 (VR) / LG 27" 1440p |

I use rudder all the time... 'cept I have a twist joystick... I know I should be shot lol
I went to an auto sim racing lan tourney with a joystick one time ....should've seen the look on those boys' faces when I left the building with the $600 grand prize TSW racing wheel. True. Yes, I too use a "twisty" for all my MD11 needs. :( Ken C

OK, let me rephase this question. How does one keep the nose of the aircraft pointed into the wind if the rudder is not used and the ailerons push a wing down while landing in high crosswinds? Is asymetrical thrust used (higher thrust on the lee side of the aircraft though I find this to be just as dangerous as having a wingtip down)?

ng_driver.jpg

WhiteKnight77's Place

Mike Shannon

Can a maneuver like this be done without a rudder? :(
Not sure what you mean? He de-crabed using the rudder quite clearly.

Rob Prest

Not sure what you mean? He de-crabed using the rudder quite clearly.
Just to show that rudder is necessary for de-crab should this is attempted...

Guest yurob70

FS dotn simulates the Ruder Good.Did you see the Crash of US427(Or its anothe rone dont know whic flight)the ruder was doing the opposite of waht th epilot have do.They moved ruder left plane goes to right,they moved it further to left and the plane crashed in nose dive.Try this in FSX,nothing will happen!The plane just dont crashes.in thsi Kai Tak Video the Pilot used the rude rnot much and the plane goed fast to the Left.The FS odesnt simulates this effect.The PMDG MD-11 simulates it nice but still it doesnt crash the plane.But its eonugh for Crosswind landign if you have an detailed Airplane with good Flightdynamcs.Correct me if im False

Can a maneuver like this be done without a rudder? :(
This video is a classic example of what I am referring to. You can clearly see that he has the rudder fully right to keep the nose into the wind. My question is, how does one complete this landing evolution if the rudder isn't used and is what I was asking the first go round. If the plane wasn't pointed into the wind, said plane would be landing on the taxiway or worse, the apron.

ng_driver.jpg

WhiteKnight77's Place

Mike Shannon

This video is a classic example of what I am referring to. You can clearly see that he has the rudder fully right to keep the nose into the wind. My question is, how does one complete this landing evolution if the rudder isn't used and is what I was asking the first go round. If the plane wasn't pointed into the wind, said plane would be landing on the taxiway or worse, the apron.
That is not full right rudder, the aircraft is banking to the right because he is flying the IGS kai tak 13, not a good example. You can clearly see him using a fair bit of rudder 10 secs into the vid.A aircraft like the 747 has a huge horizontal stabilizer and will pivot into the wind without the use of rudder.Regards

Rob Prest

OK, let me rephase this question. How does one keep the nose of the aircraft pointed into the wind if the rudder is not used and the ailerons push a wing down while landing in high crosswinds? Is asymetrical thrust used (higher thrust on the lee side of the aircraft though I find this to be just as dangerous as having a wingtip down)?
I have never used asymetrical thrust in a crosswind landing, maybe to help taxi, but never to land.Bill Bridges

I Earned My Spurs in Vietnam