Sign in to follow this  
Jack_C

Full screen or Windowed

I have always been a fan of full screen mode. But I just find windowed mode kicks the heck of full screen performance-wise. Probably adds 10 fps and much more smooth. I just despise those blue strips across the top of the screen where it says Microsoft Flight Simulator X. IS there anyway to get rid of those strips without going into full screen? Thanks!

I have always been a fan of full screen mode. But I just find windowed mode kicks the heck of full screen performance-wise. Probably adds 10 fps and much more smooth. I just despise those blue strips across the top of the screen where it says Microsoft Flight Simulator X. IS there anyway to get rid of those strips without going into full screen? Thanks!
You can't hide that Blue bar - but you can have a little fun with it.This tuturial - written for FS2004 users - should also work in FSX:http://library.avsim.net/esearch.php?CatID=fs2004misc&DLID=126076Have fun!

In windowed mode hold ALT key to hide or un-hide the menu bar.It’s strange I think full-screen/windowed performance really depends on your specific system.

Yes it is weird how full screen takes a pounding on my system. Its just the blue strip I want to get rid of on the screen.

Guest firehawk44
I made the mistake of stating windowed mode was faster too once but I was politely told by many computer expert developers and fellow simmers that I was wrong and full screen is definitely faster. I did some testing after hearing this and found full screen mode is definitely faster by 10-15 fps. In some scenarios it will be faster but overall, full screen is faster. For instance, you can resize the window in windowed mode and a smaller screen will render things faster. When in windowed mode you cannot get rid of the menu bar as suggested by dmayer. The Alt key only works in full screen (but then you probably figured that out).Best regards,Jim

Hi Jim. So they are telling you FULL SCREEN is faster? I wish they could see my computer and tell me that. It is clearly WAY faster in Windowed than Full screen. I can be sitting on the ground In KORD in full screen. FPS is about 18-21. Switch to windowed and straight up to 28-31. Maybe I have some weird setting that I shouldn't have but this is the case. Specs are:980XAsus Ramage 3Corsair DDR3-1600 C8EVGA 480Win 7 64 bit

Windowed mode for me - by far. And it's not just for fps either.... I browse the net a lot in windowed mode

| FAA ZMP |
| PPL ASEL |
| Windows 11 | MSI Z690 Tomahawk | 12700K 4.7GHz | MSI RTX 4080 | 32GB 5600 MHz DDR5 | 500GB Samsung 860 Evo SSD | 2x 2TB Samsung 970 Evo M.2 | EVGA 850W Gold | Corsair 5000X | HP G2 (VR) / LG 27" 1440p |

Hi Jim. So they are telling you FULL SCREEN is faster? I wish they could see my computer and tell me that. It is clearly WAY faster in Windowed than Full screen. I can be sitting on the ground In KORD in full screen. FPS is about 18-21. Switch to windowed and straight up to 28-31. Maybe I have some weird setting that I shouldn't have but this is the case. Specs are:980XAsus Ramage 3Corsair DDR3-1600 C8EVGA 480Win 7 64 bit
Well I wouldn't tell anyone what is better on their system, because there are so many parameters at play hardware and software that it's per installation different...The only thing I share is my personal experience and that is Full Screen is a little faster here local about 2 FPS compared to windowed mode (auto hiding the task bar in Vista because of the FPS drop in windowed mode)

André

Guest firehawk44
Well I wouldn't tell anyone what is better on there system, because there are so many parameters at play hardware and software that it's per installation different...The only thing I share is my personal experience and that is Full Screen is a little faster here local about 2 FPS compared to windowed mode (auto hiding the task bar in Vista because of the FPS drop in windowed mode)
I was just getting ready to say that! There are new and more modern systems than back in 2007/2008. If it runs smoother and better to fly in windowed mode, by all means people should use it.Best regards,Jim

For sure Jim. I just cant stand that blue stripe going across the top of the screen.

Try the program WinSuperMaximize. You can download it from a multitude of locations. It works really well and hides the title bar. You just click on the .exe and it places an icon that looks like a square in the windows task bar. Then all you need to do is click on the icon and it hides the title bar. To get it back again just click on the icon again. If you auto hide the taskbar as well, it looks like you are in full screen. I have been using it for a while now with out any problems. I also get much better performance in windows mode.http://code.google.com/p/winsupermaximize/Bill

make sure you auto-hide the task bar .. that boost frame rates as well ..

Try the program WinSuperMaximize. You can download it from a multitude of locations. It works really well and hides the title bar. You just click on the .exe and it places an icon that looks like a square in the windows task bar. Then all you need to do is click on the icon and it hides the title bar. To get it back again just click on the icon again. If you auto hide the taskbar as well, it looks like you are in full screen. I have been using it for a while now with out any problems. I also get much better performance in windows mode.http://code.google.c...nsupermaximize/Bill
THATS what I was hoping for Bill. thanks! But does it work under Win7 64bit?