Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Dillon

Do you use both or one version of Flight Simulator?

152 members have voted

1. 1. Do you use FSX and FS9 or just FSX exclusively

• FSX/FS9
    • FSX Only

Just wondering how many people use both Flight Simulator versions these days or just one.

Just wondering how many people use both Flight Simulator versions these days or just one.
I have both installed and occasionally fly FS9, just to fly the Flight1 Meridian or the PMDG 737NG.Otherwise it is FSX, PNW, and the Carenado Bonanza or RealAir Duke for me.

Gee the results so far seem to contradict your made up statistics from the other day... :Talking Ear Off:How surprising!P.S. The REAL question you want answered is "Would you buy addons for both FS9 and FSX, or just FSX?". The results could be different from the question you actually asked.

FS9 is an old sim. I won't fly it let alone buy addons for it. I really doubt this thread will convince developers to develop for FS9 and X. That's what you were after wasn't it?

Guest simmer9304

Maybe when more than 18 people vote we can get an accurate result.Also, this is in the FSX forum. The same poll is in the FS9 forum and unsurprisingly enough, the majority vote (4-2, again a poor sampling) was for FS9 only.Until an accurate sample of the FS users is done neither of these is at all conclusive. By accurate I mean well over a hundred votes. By well over a hundred I mean near a thousand or more.This would have to be a poll that is done by people at AVSIM, Flightsim.com, Simviation, SimOuthouse, ORBX, Aerosoft, Abacus, the FS98 forums, FS-Shipyard, via mail to anyone without internet, tomshardware.com, airliners.net, a wide sampling of Facebook flightsim groups, and more. The FS9/FSX forums at AVSIM are not at all reflective of the flight simulation community. If a true survey were to be done I'd be very interested to see the results. The most accurate results we have are really sales figures from developers and even those are inaccurate because they only take into account those who purchase addons.

Gee the results so far seem to contradict your made up statistics from the other day... :Talking Ear Off:How surprising!P.S. The REAL question you want answered is "Would you buy addons for both FS9 and FSX, or just FSX?". The results could be different from the question you actually asked.
They sure do but we'll see how this goes... :( I'll admit if I'm wrong. Can you point me to other FS related sites that get as much traffic as Avsim. Simflight and Flightsim.com's forums seem to have all but went dormant these days...
FS9 is an old sim. I won't fly it let alone buy addons for it. I really doubt this thread will convince developers to develop for FS9 and X. That's what you were after wasn't it?
Nope... I just wanted to see who still uses both sims. If a product is released for either sim first it would stand to reason why one wouldn't turn around and buy it for both sims when the version for that sim comes out.

If a true survey were to be done I'd be very interested to see the results. The most accurate results we have are really sales figures from developers and even those are inaccurate because they only take into account those who purchase addons.
Those who purchase addons are who is relevant to the market! There's a reason developers aren't developing for FS9 much anymore. It isn't a mystery or some giant conspiracy.

Maybe when more than 18 people vote we can get an accurate result.Also, this is in the FSX forum. The same poll is in the FS9 forum and unsurprisingly enough, the majority vote (4-2, again a poor sampling) was for FS9 only.Until an accurate sample of the FS users is done neither of these is at all conclusive. By accurate I mean well over a hundred votes. By well over a hundred I mean near a thousand or more.This would have to be a poll that is done by people at AVSIM, Flightsim.com, Simviation, SimOuthouse, ORBX, Aerosoft, Abacus, the FS98 forums, FS-Shipyard, via mail to anyone without internet, tomshardware.com, airliners.net, a wide sampling of Facebook flightsim groups, and more. The FS9/FSX forums at AVSIM are not at all reflective of the flight simulation community. If a true survey were to be done I'd be very interested to see the results. The most accurate results we have are really sales figures from developers and even those are inaccurate because they only take into account those who purchase addons.
What he said... :(

They sure do but we'll see how this goes... :( I'll admit if I'm wrong. Can you point me to other FS related sites that get as much traffic as Avsim. Simflight and Flightsim.com's forums seem to have all but went dormant these days...
Avsim is pretty much the biggest. The trouble with polls on forums is that they really don't represent the FS market, let alone who flies what sim. A forum better represents the market than who flies what sim though. Obviously people who buy addons keep up on watching the forums more than those who don't buy addons.The only statistic relevant to the overall FS userbase would have to be FS9 sales vs FSX sales from Microsoft themselves. Even then, that wouldn't take into account those who don't fly either one (after buying both), fly on only one (having bought both), or people who use both.

Funny, I had FS9 on my HD until yesterday. I have hardly touched it in 4 years, though I had a lot of freeware and payware - both scenery and aircraft - installed. It just took up space (a lot of it), and I wasn't doing anything with it. So I finally bit the bullet and deleted it, along with its backup archive. While FSX is choppy on my system compared to the silky smooth performance of FS9, the old sim seems to have lost its attraction after having been exposed to the likes of PNW, OrbX, A2A, the RealAir Duke,... I could go on. Many developers for FSX have made FS9 seem cartoonish in camparison.Paul

I'm FSX only.It would be nice if the polls in both forums were linked somehow. The results would be interesting.FSX OnlyFS9 OnlyI split my time between FSX and FS9I use both, but FSX mostlyI use both, but FS9 mostly

I use both. FS9 is nice when you need a break from the hog called FSX and you just wan't to relax and enjoy the smoothness on a lesser computer. I still have it so I can fly the Level-D 767 which I don't have for FSX. I love the way you can be running 4 payware addons, aircraft, airport scenery, landcass, REX at the same time and still get 50 FP/S at the terminal. But the graphics in FSX are way better...

Gee the results so far seem to contradict your made up statistics from the other day... :Talking Ear Off:How surprising!P.S.  The REAL question you want answered is "Would you buy addons for both FS9 and FSX, or just FSX?".  The results could be different from the question you actually asked.
I agree with the question, it is about buying add-ons that sparked these particular polls. Still, the poll results will not be accurate either way. With 2 separate polls in 2 different forums, people can vote twice, especially those of us who use both FS9 and FSX. Now if this poll was done in just one place, then yes, we would have a better view of who would actually buy or who actually uses both sims.

Hi all,I changed over to FSX about 6 months ago, I will be bulding a new cumputer to run FSX .bobb

Guest simmer9304

The votes currently stand at 51 in the FSX forum and 41 in the FS9 forum, a maximum of 91 people have voted (I voted twice so I'm subtracting myself). This still isn't enough of a sample but the trend I predicted has pretty much occurred. In the FS9 forum people mainly use FS9 and in the FSX forum people mainly use FSX.Those of us (like me) who use both probably don't spend much time in any one forum since their interests are split between both. (They're also the ones who aren't online because they're too busy flying :( )

In the FS9 forum people mainly use FS9 and in the FSX forum people mainly use FSX.
What shocking results! lol.

The votes currently stand at 51 in the FSX forum and 41 in the FS9 forum, a maximum of 91 people have voted (I voted twice so I'm subtracting myself). This still isn't enough of a sample but the trend I predicted has pretty much occurred. In the FS9 forum people mainly use FS9 and in the FSX forum people mainly use FSX.Those of us (like me) who use both probably don't spend much time in any one forum since their interests are split between both. (They're also the ones who aren't online because they're too busy flying  :(  )
Make that 90 then as I voted twice (as I alluded to above).

I agree with the question, it is about buying add-ons that sparked these particular polls. Still, the poll results will not be accurate either way. With 2 separate polls in 2 different forums, people can vote twice, especially those of us who use both FS9 and FSX. Now if this poll was done in just one place, then yes, we would have a better view of who would actually buy or who actually uses both sims.
That is basically what I am getting at.As far as the sample size, we need to know the total number we are dealing with to determine the margin of error. That number would be impossible to know unless we had one poll for everyone or we let it run for a while to capture as many votes as possible.I really do think this is a worthwhile poll but I think it need to be redone to capture every one's opinion. Even better - if someone put something online and linked it to AVSIM, FS.com and Simviation. I bet developers would pay for this type of information (maybe not FS developers but developers in the non-FS world).

That is basically what I am getting at.As far as the sample size, we need to know the total number we are dealing with to determine the margin of error. That number would be impossible to know unless we had one poll for everyone or we let it run for a while to capture as many votes as possible.I really do think this is a worthwhile poll but I think it need to be redone to capture every one's opinion. Even better - if someone put something online and linked it to AVSIM, FS.com and Simviation. I bet developers would pay for this type of information (maybe not FS developers but developers in the non-FS world).
I think the best way to do this, is to have one poll in the Poll forum section with a choices for FSX only, FS9 Only, or FS9 and FSX. Then have a pinned post in both the FS9 and FSX forums pointing to it. It also should run for a reasonable period of time, to get a good sampling!, The problem with the way it is now is the FSX and FS9 option. A user can vote in 1 or both polls, which will skew the results.

There are addons wich are available to both at the buying time like Feelthere planes by ex. This WILL influence my decision to buy. Usually I fly long hauls in FS9 and more bush/VFR in FSX.Complex airport sceneries may be run with a three screen system and the heavies are not so different in FS9. IYP or FS2Crew and RadarContact make the airliners flying enjoyable. For FSX I have to use Wideview to get the screens. With FSX specific stuff as REX, FTX of course the visuals are incredibles.I may fire up X-plane from time to time...RV

FSX only. One thing is for certain any body entering this hobby for the first time would all most certainly look to FSX first, and indeed Microsoft recently had to restart their production of FSX install disks. Thats pretty good for something that Microsoft had clearly abonded as far as future development goes. Clearly despite the dislike of some FS9 users the popularity of FSX is growing and I expect that to continue despite the recent anouncement of Microsoft Flight. In fact many users I believe will continue to keep FSX on their sytems long after Flight has been released to due the fact FSX with the additions of certain addons such as FTX and other enhancments frankly leaves FS9 trailing in the dust.Soon with the relase of Flight FS9 will be relegated to role of a museum piece which developers will increasingly abandon, but not so with FSX which ORBX have stated they will continue to release products for.Bryan.

Should we have one poll in the 'Hanger Chat' forum since the results are still inconclusive?Based on what I'm seeing in these two polls I have to amend my numbers:FS9 only - 40%FSX only - 40%FSX/FS9 - 20%Now the question is how big is the buying base between FS9 and FSX since people are either stuck on one or the other solely. It seems few are giving the apposing sim a chance in the slightest since. :(

Soon with the relase of Flight FS9 will be relegated to role of a museum piece
Don't forget best museums are populated by crowds of people.