Sign in to follow this  
Bernie5

Stuck on Loading Terrain Data 6%

FSX was running perfectly on this Win7/64 system.Then one day it stopped on "loading terrain data" on 6% - and stayed there. Same thing kept happening every time that I tried to run it.In frustration I un-installed, removed all directories that I could find, cleaned the Registry, re-started the machine & re-installed.Selected the default flight & the same thing happened - stuck on 6%.Anybody got any idea what this might be, or how the h*** I can get round it?Thanks,Bernie

FSX was running perfectly on this Win7/64 system.Then one day it stopped on "loading terrain data" on 6% - and stayed there. Same thing kept happening every time that I tried to run it.In frustration I un-installed, removed all directories that I could find, cleaned the Registry, re-started the machine & re-installed.Selected the default flight & the same thing happened - stuck on 6%.Anybody got any idea what this might be, or how the h*** I can get round it?Thanks,Bernie
BernieI've had a similar thing where it seems to sometimes 'stick' at around the same point when loading the terrain data.....What I found is that although it appeared to 'stick', after a few minutes (up to 3 or 4), it then continued to load correctly.Maybe you're suffering the same 'lag'?Toni.

What is happening is that the scenery begins to load and gets to a point (in your case at 6%) whre it encounters a problem and stops.Sometimes it is just loading slow because o the amountof stuff you have installed, other resources running etc, so just wait a few minutes until it gets going again.If it doesn't then I would go into the scenery libarary and unchcek all addon scenery and see if it still happens. If its OK, then its a problem with a piece of add on scenery and simply a case of trying to isolate the likely culprit (usually something added recently).IAN

Ryzen 5800X3D, Nvidia 3080 - 32 Gig DDR4 RAM, 1TB & 2 TB NVME drives - Windows 11 64 bit MSFS 2020 Premium Deluxe Edition Resolution 2560 x 1440 (32 inch curved monitor)

BernieI've had a similar thing where it seems to sometimes 'stick' at around the same point when loading the terrain data.....What I found is that although it appeared to 'stick', after a few minutes (up to 3 or 4), it then continued to load correctly.Maybe you're suffering the same 'lag'?Toni.
Same here, but after the first time it loads, its faster the next time, as long as I havent rebooted.

Jay

Thanks for the replies Gents.I re-installed FSX this afternoon, and noticed that unlike the previous occasions, it didn't give me the "Repair" option - it just went ahead & installed the thing.Since then, no problems - it's running just fine again. I'm slowly re-installing my add-ons, testing the installation after each one & keeping notes as to what I'm doing.Fingers crossed that this time nothing untoward develops! Straight%20Face.gifBernie

Works that way for me as well. Patience for me has been virtue.

- Aaron

Yes, same here ...and aslo at 6%. Just have to wait a couple of minutes and the loading continues...

Edmundo Azevedo

Yes, same here ...and aslo at 6%. Just have to wait a couple of minutes and the loading continues...
I find on a fresh reboot it takes about 6minutes to load a certain saved flight i have.. I have yet to experiment with turning off addons.. but i suspects its just due to the mass amount of addons installed.After this, if i close fsx then reopen and load again, it only takes 37 seconds or so.

MSI z690-a Unify; 1000 watt evga SuperNova Platinum; 12900kf at 1.255 adaptive LLC6, auto avx, auto Pcore, E-4.0ghz, Ring-4.1ghz, PL 241watt (Cine96c, games 83c case side On); DDR5 Gskill F5-6400J3239G16GA2-TZ5RS  at 6400mhz autovolt, Kraken x73 360mm; Thermaltake v51 Case; Gigabyte 4090 OC;  VR-Varjo Aero;  AstronomicallySpeaking:

As a test go into your Scenery Library and uncheck all the special secenery you've added and see if it loads faster. Then you can recheck back the ones you use the most .... probably don't need all at once anyway. If you want to get by the 6% faster replace your main drive with an ssd ... like the 100 GB OCZ VERTEX 2. It will make a huge difference in how fast things load ... not fly but "load". If you purchase Paragon's "Migrate OS to SSD" program you can just clone your current hard drive and then keep the original as a backup.

You can use Perfmon in combination with Task Manager to check the disk and processor usage while running FSX.In my case, I have separate drives for XP, FSX, scenery and addon aircraft.Green - OSRed - FSXYellow - Addon aircraftBlue - SceneryDuring the initial load, it spends a lot of time reading addon aircraft:loading1e.jpgAt 6 percent it is reading scenery:loading2g.jpgAfter 6 percent it is still reading scenery but using 3 cores for this:loading3.jpg

OK, it's started with me now too. FSX load sticks on 6% "Loading terrain data..."Even after 30 minutes. My only help is to "kill" fsx in task manager. Another problem I am getting is that if I go to the scenery library and check scenery out to test it, I can't exit the "settings" window from FSX Accel. So I can't go back to the free flight window to load a flight.Any ideas on this?

Chris Brisland - the repainter known as EagleSkinner is back from the dead. Perhaps. Or maybe not.

System: Intel I9 32 GB RAM, nVidia RTX 3090 graphics 24 GB VRAM, three 32" Samsung monitors, Logitech yoke, pedals, switch panel, multi panel

Ive done alot of work with terrain textures and everytime i install a set of terrain textures that dont have mip-maps the 6% stall is exactly what happens. Ill bet some of your scenery terrain textures (FSX\scenery\world\texture) dont have mip-maps. If theres no mip-maps the terrain must be plastered all the way to the horizon with full resolution textures which takes a very long time, thats why it will eventually work but takes forever. Unfortunately the texture folder has over 8000 textures in it, so good luck finding them! :( Hope this helps in some way.David.EDIT: might also be a combination of a high res detail1.bmp and a mipbias entry together. Check those out also.

Thanks for that. I'll look into it.

Chris Brisland - the repainter known as EagleSkinner is back from the dead. Perhaps. Or maybe not.

System: Intel I9 32 GB RAM, nVidia RTX 3090 graphics 24 GB VRAM, three 32" Samsung monitors, Logitech yoke, pedals, switch panel, multi panel

Ok, I had this problem, was driving me nuts. I thought it was a scenery problem and in a way it was. Trying to load complex scenery was overloading my anti-virus, once I turned it off the problem went away.Hope this helps someone.

Scott
Boeing777_Banner_Pilot.jpg

Ok, I had this problem, was driving me nuts. I thought it was a scenery problem and in a way it was. Trying to load complex scenery was overloading my anti-virus, once I turned it off the problem went away.Hope this helps someone.
About 6 -8 months ago mine hit the 6% lag and it drove me nuts. I had just loaded one of the free ORBX airports just west of Seattle and I blamed the 6% snag on them. They were quick to 'feel sorry for me' but the only recommendation was to get a bigger, faster, shinner PC and it must start with i7- That old machine never recovered.Ray

When Pigs Fly . Ray Marshall .