Sign in to follow this  
bojote

Alternative External FPS Limiter

Wouldn't that indicate that using the internal limiter doesn't throttle FSX down in the same way as the external limiter? Having FSX utilizing the CPU as much as possible is a good thing.
All of my cores work harder (run hotter) with the internal limiter. I take this as FSX is running more threads (doing things other than rendering graphics) due to the limiter so it requires more CPU power.jja

Jim Allen
support@skypilot.biz
SkyPilot Software home of FSXAssist / P3DAssist

LionheartVictoryBanner02s-369x97.png

Wouldn't that indicate that using the internal limiter doesn't throttle FSX down in the same way as the external limiter? Having FSX utilizing the CPU as much as possible is a good thing.
In a way, yes.. unless you are flying somewhere where you really do not need all the CPU power burningaway. It is kind of nice to be flying and have the CPU fan throttle down to slow and quiet speed when the CPU power is not required.. FSX just continues to run the CPU at 100% whether it is needed or not.

Bert

Hi all,Thanks to Bojote online tweaker, I have now smooth FSX, running 20-60fps when unlimited. My problem is, that because of unusual PC configuration as seen here:

I am unable to run any FPS limiter correctly.My scenery visualization run by GTX460 on 3 projectors via Matrox TH2Go. This card could not be unfortunately set as my primary VGA in windows (Windows XP 64bit)My primary VGA is one of others three GTX9500 - currently the one seen on the video running main panels on 3 LCDs - via another Matrox TH2Go.The problem with FPS_limiter is:- I have to set 4x number of FPS I require (as I have 4GPU in PC) - if I set just 30fps I get exactly 7.5FPS - but this is working workaround. :-)- Unfortunately, it seems that FPS_limiter is not able to limit fps on multiple GPUs - so even I set 120fps, which should give me 30fps, I've get only ~ 17fps.17fps is the same value I get, when I move window with scenery projection from GTX460 to GTS9500. So it seems that:- FPS_limiter limit fps on primary VGA- or FPS_limiter limit on all VGA - and if one of them is not able to get such frame limit is limit all others to the same value.I have no other explanation for this.I've tried also this new limiter, but I am suffering from black screen (I am able to run FSX only in full screen in my configuration) (disable_preload=1).So here is going my requests:Bojote please, please, please, If you will made any changes to this new limiter (you mentioned, that you've requested source code), could you please also check possibility to select VGA to limit? Thank you. :-)BRLitin

I amusing the following setting:RenderAheadLimit=2 //to queue a frameIt seems the frames are more stable locked at 30FPS but I am still experiencing microstutters even with the new nVidia 266.35 beta driver.Is anyone using the other 2 values? The 2 other choices are 0 (to disable frames ahead) 1 (to flush the render queue when the frame is ready).

\Robert Hamlich/

Hi all,I use FPS_limiter limit for locked FSX at 25 frames ,when I start it at the end of the loading the simulator crash,and I have also a problem with the full screen.Could you help me please?Regards,Calou 95.

Hi all,I use FPS_limiter limit for locked FSX at 25 frames ,when I start it at the end of the loading the simulator crash,and I have also a problem with the full screen.Could you help me please?Regards,Calou 95.
Dont use it as its not stable or working properly for FSX. Im sure someone will come up with a fix though eventually as it does seem a bit smoother.

Jim Wenham

Calou 95FPS Limiter has been used for at least a couple of months now in the FSX community, with various degrees of success, and I think most who use it took it for what it was - something to try to see if it helps. If it doesn't, can I please just suggest that you use the forum search for 'FPS Limiter' and read up on it. This may seem very negative, which is not the way of this fine community, but to be honest to expect the readership to fix your FPS Limiter particularly with absolutely no knowledge of your system, and with such little information about your problem, is asking a bit much.There is an alternative Limiter now:http://forum.avsim.net/topic/322993-alternative-external-fps-limiter/... but please be aware, we're all just trying it out, finding problems and by contributing experiences, learning more about it.Best wishesgliderdriver

Calou 95FPS Limiter has been used for at least a couple of months now in the FSX community, with various degrees of success, and I think most who use it took it for what it was - something to try to see if it helps. If it doesn't, can I please just suggest that you use the forum search for 'FPS Limiter' and read up on it. This may seem very negative, which is not the way of this fine community, but to be honest to expect the readership to fix your FPS Limiter particularly with absolutely no knowledge of your system, and with such little information about your problem, is asking a bit much.There is an alternative Limiter now:http://forum.avsim.net/topic/322993-alternative-external-fps-limiter/... but please be aware, we're all just trying it out, finding problems and by contributing experiences, learning more about it.Best wishesgliderdriver
Thats the one he already is using (from reading his post) as he is having the full screen/windowed problem which happens with the NEW limiter.

Jim Wenham

I just wanted to report that I'm using this thing for some days now, windowed only and at 30fps with the standard "2" ahead. So far, the limitation looks more even (staying closer to the preset limit) but apart from losing this odd cmd window from the other limiter solution, no functional gains or losses are to report. It just does what it's supposed to do and seems to work closer to the system with that dll. So no wonderful "much smoother now" sentence from me but a thanks for the small improvement and the HU on it. :(

I am now using a read-ahead value of 0, with no apparent ill effects. In fact fsx runs like a dream at the 20 fps fixed value in high-autogen areas, and my rig is hardly state-of-the-art.Bojote - what's this read-ahead value please? 0, 1 or 2 of what? How does that compare with any of the other buffer-like structures thaty we can tweak in FSX.cfg?Many thanks,gliderdriver

Forgive me for being slightly off topic, but this might affect some folk that couldn't get the original GUI-based thingy working: For the longest time I could not get the original FPS_Limiter_02 to work: I did everything recommended, but still wouldn't work. I upgraded my Java client a couple of times, making no difference - about 15 seconds after launching fsx.sex.limited.bat - FSX always ctd'd, so I gave up. This new-style version here 'sort-of' worked but had issues with the black screen. THEN (through overclocking the pc) I found the 'Intel Processor Diagnostic Tool'. When downloading and installing it - it needs to know Java is there and is working. I was astonished when it automatically began downloading Java all over again. Anyway - it finished and the diagnostic tool worked.. After a while I got to thinking "would the FPS_Limiter_02 work?". So I re-did the software (in the FSX root), launched from the bat file, and blow me down! It worked like a well-oiled clock!! So - for you guys that gave up - try this as a 'fix' - Java d/l url:- http://www.java.com/en/download/index.jspCheers

i7 4790K@4.8GHz | 32GB RAM | EVGA RTX 3080Ti | Maximus Hero VII | 512GB 860 Pro | 512GB 850 Pro | 256GB 840 Pro | 2TB 860 QVO | 1TB 870 EVO | Seagate 3TB Cloud | EVGA 1000 GQ | Win10 Pro | EK Custom water cooling.

Thats the one he already is using (from reading his post) as he is having the full screen/windowed problem which happens with the NEW limiter.
Ah! Thank you, I am a silly old s*d, but he did say FPS Limiter.GD

Please,Use the internal frame rate limiter. It works as good as the external limiter for me to eliminate stutters and autogen "spikes". Please, don't fly with FPS info visible on the display. It will fluctuate but that doesn't matter. What matters is if you have a smooth and nice flight. Just fly and enjoy FSX. Quit tweaking. There is no holy grail of tweaks waiting out there.If you want to be able to use higher display settings and smooth flight. Buy new high end hardware and go through this guide: http://www.simforums.com/forums/setting-up-fsx-and-how-to-tune-it_topic29041.htmlJust my 2 cents :(

I installed this new limiter. It doubled my frame rate with FSINN running however, when I go to full screen mode, my screens start flashing. Not sure what is going on.

Forgive me for being slightly off topic, but this might affect some folk that couldn't get the original GUI-based thingy working: For the longest time I could not get the original FPS_Limiter_02 to work: I did everything recommended, but still wouldn't work. I upgraded my Java client a couple of times, making no difference - about 15 seconds after launching fsx.sex.limited.bat - FSX always ctd'd, so I gave up. This new-style version here 'sort-of' worked but had issues with the black screen. THEN (through overclocking the pc) I found the 'Intel Processor Diagnostic Tool'. When downloading and installing it - it needs to know Java is there and is working. I was astonished when it automatically began downloading Java all over again. Anyway - it finished and the diagnostic tool worked.. After a while I got to thinking "would the FPS_Limiter_02 work?". So I re-did the software (in the FSX root), launched from the bat file, and blow me down! It worked like a well-oiled clock!! So - for you guys that gave up - try this as a 'fix' - Java d/l url:- http://www.java.com/...nload/index.jspCheers
Hi Paul,That seems interesting as I have been experiencing fluctuating FPS with the "old" limiter tool and I had dismissed it as one of those things when playing around with FSX.cfg setting's as we have all done.I would like to investigate your findings as I do like the FPS Limiter Tool more as it does not produce black screens and since installing the new limiter I have noticed that ASE causes FSX to freeze up and that is rather disconcerting when flying online. Thanks for the heads-up.
I installed this new limiter. It doubled my frame rate with FSINN running however, when I go to full screen mode, my screens start flashing. Not sure what is going on.
Hi Brad, Depends on where your sliders are set, if you are pushing it then you will notice some graphics degradation. I have just installed nVidia's newest Beta and rebuilt my .cfg and I am extremely happy with the new FPS limiter, except for the instances mentioned above. Are you running a second computer networked with your FSX computer? I have the same programs you have running on a client and I am pleased with performance and communiction between the two.

\Robert Hamlich/