Sign in to follow this  
bojote

Alternative External FPS Limiter

Yep, that's the case for me too.
Do you have DisablePreload=1 in your fsx.cfg file? If so, try DisablePreload=0 and see if you still have black screen problems.

Do you have DisablePreload=1 in your fsx.cfg file? If so, try DisablePreload=0 and see if you still have black screen problems.
I ALWAYS get the black screen when Alt-Tabbing - limiter or not. I need to Alt+Enter 2x to get back to a functional full screen. I'll try the disablepreload=0 setting. jja

Jim Allen
support@skypilot.biz
SkyPilot Software home of FSXAssist / P3DAssist

LionheartVictoryBanner02s-369x97.png

Which folder is the FSX root folder I out these files into? Thanks.

Love Airplanes and American Muscle Cars

Which folder is the FSX root folder I out these files into? Thanks.
The one that's named "FSX"...The one that contains "fsx.exe"...

Fr. Bill    

AOPA Member: 07141481 AARP Member: 3209010556

Avsim Board of Directors | Avsim Forums Moderator

That fixed it! No problems switching Full or Windowed mode now!

Jim Wenham

Tried it with DisablePreload=0 . Locked my computer up.

NAX669.png

That fixed it! No problems switching Full or Windowed mode now!
I'm not using the limiter but DisablePreload=0 fixed the black screen when Alt-Tabbing. Awesome and a really big thanks . This one has been driving me nuts!! jja

Jim Allen
support@skypilot.biz
SkyPilot Software home of FSXAssist / P3DAssist

LionheartVictoryBanner02s-369x97.png

I am intrigued by the buffer control. It does seem to be quite entangled w/ various other components of the video display though and that in itself bodes less well. Even so, it seems to work for those who've tried it and it's easier to setup and so that's a good thing. Does it offer on-the-fly limit setting? That is a crucial feature present in FPS_Limiter.exe.Noel

Noel

System:  7800x3D, Thermal Grizzly Kryonaut, Noctua NH-U12A, MSI Pro 650-P WiFi, G.SKILL Ripjaws S5 Series 32GB (2 x 16GB) 288-Pin PC RAM DDR5 6000, WD NVMe 2Tb x 1, Sabrent NVMe 2Tb x 1, RTX 4090 FE, Corsair RM1000W PSU, Win11 Home, LG Ultra Curved Gsync Ultimate 3440x1440, Phanteks Enthoo Pro Case, TCA Boeing Edition Yoke & TQ, Cessna Trim Wheel, RTSS Framerate Limiter w/ Edge Sync for near zero Frame Time Variance achieving ultra-fluid animation at lower frame rates.

Aircraft used in A Pilot's Life V2:  PMDG 738, Aerosoft CRJ700, FBW A320nx, WT 787X

The one that's named "FSX"...The one that contains "fsx.exe"...
Got it, and my apologies for the typo as it should have read "put these files into". Thanks again.

Love Airplanes and American Muscle Cars

Guest FlightHound
I never tried the other external FPS limiter with bat files and java as it was too complcated for me. This one seems easier, except I don't know what an FSX root folder is. Can somebody tell me? Then do I turn the FSX default FPS limiter to unlimited? Thanks.
FSX root folder is the folder where FSX is installed on your hard drive.

BojoteThat works nicely for me, a smooth display limited to 20 fps, and a read-ahead buffer of 2. I saw a momentary flash of black as I launched in a glider, but beyond that a really smooth rendering in an area of very high autogen.Many thanks to you!Phil

I'm not using the limiter but DisablePreload=0 fixed the black screen when Alt-Tabbing. Awesome and a really big thanks . This one has been driving me nuts!! jja
Glad it worked for you. I got that fix awhile back from someone and just passed it on.Randall

My heart got jumping when I saw the Thread Title because I thought: Yes, finally a FPS Limiter which also supports DX10. But it doesn´t seem to... when I have a look at the Files in the archive (d3d9.dll).FSX runs much better on my PC with DX10 enabled and some of ******* tweaks applied. I tried to switch to DX9 and use the FPS Limiter mentioned earlier here in this Forum. But I gained nothing. Does anybody know if there´s a FPS limiter out there which can be used with DX10 enabled? :Praying:When I run FSX with unlimited Frames it´s much faster, but I get blurries. I think when locking the frames (I don´t need 60, what I sometimes get unlimited) the blurries could go away again and in summary I get a smoother experience.

I've noticed that with this alternative external FPS limiter, I'm getting significantly less fluctuations in the FPS, compared to the original FPS limiter. So far, so good.

Alexander Alonso

I flew a 1-hour flight last night and also got more consistent FPS and less stuttering as well. I fly in wondowed mode, so did not look to see if I have the black screen issue. I especially like that I don't have to worry about changing the limit setting by hitting F11 or F10 when I want to change views. I used 30fps and the render ahead value of 2. Can someone explain more specifically what the render ahead does? I had read that if you have triple buffering, with Vsync on, you won't be limited to 60, 30, 15 fps that you normally have with Vsync. I'm wondering if this frame queue does a similar thing. Off topic, but I'm also wondering if I turn on triple buffering for Open GL in the ATI Catalyst Control Center, does FSX recognize and use that. Thanks, and good find for me so far!--Don

Don Polidori