Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Joel

FPS Limiter

Everyone is using an FPS limiter but I can't find a download link anywhere! Can someone help me out?

I currently use a program called FPS Limiter 0.2. Do a Google search for it, and you should return quite a few results.

I currently use a program called FPS Limiter 0.2. Do a Google search for it, and you should return quite a few results.
That's what I'm looking for. I can't find the download link anywhere. Where did you find it?

What does it do?
+1. Give it better framerate results even if you have low framerates (10-20fps average) ?Eric

what does it do/When in external views, and if flying default scenery, my fps spike from 40-100fps,, soo fps limiter creates and upper braket so you dont get the spikes = smooth flying

Sorry if I sound dumb, but wouldn't using the FPS limit in FSX or FS9 work just the same (for example, set FPS to 40 instead of unlimited)?

There was rumor of a bug in the frame rate limiter that FSX has. When reducing your frames, it would cause stutters. By using the FPS limiter, you leave your frames in FSX unlocked and control them externally from the game. I have used it for over a year now and find that it makes my experience virtually stutter free. Also, I would see swings of framerates jumping all over the place even much lower than the 30 FPS I have selected in FPS limiter with stutters. With FPS limiter, no stutters and rarely ever dips below 30 FPS.ChuckCYXU

I couldn't get it to work with my GTX480. It just stayed at unlimited whatever settings I tried.I went back to the FSX slider control. That works great as long as I set fps low enough for the card to have time to build a buffer.

I couldn't get it to work with my GTX480. It just stayed at unlimited whatever settings I tried.I went back to the FSX slider control. That works great as long as I set fps low enough for the card to have time to build a buffer.
If on Vista / W7, you need to run it as administrator or turn off UAC

There's an alternate limiter ******* Altuve has posted that works a lot better - problem is you can't use ENB Series with it because they both work on the same principle of hooking the d3d9 driver. ******* is working on his own combined HDR+limiter dll he told me.

There's an alternate limiter ******* Altuve has posted that works a lot better - problem is you can't use ENB Series with it because they both work on the same principle of hooking the d3d9 driver. ******* is working on his own combined HDR+limiter dll he told me.
Can you post the link?

Sorry but I don't know what "ENB series" are.Best Regards,Bert Van Bulck

Never had a issue with it. I use the internal FSX limiter and set at 30fps and never see any stutter and is always at or below 30fps depending on the scenery. Why use another program eating up those precious CPU cycles.

Well I'm back on 21fps internal. Drops occasionally with lots of buildings around. The big problem is any other aircraft in the sky with you, or mainly if they are taking off and landing; slows my rig noticeably.I keep the Ai sliders down.

Never had a issue with it. I use the internal FSX limiter and set at 30fps and never see any stutter and is always at or below 30fps depending on the scenery. Why use another program eating up those precious CPU cycles.
Hers is why. I believe ******* is correct. See his link in my sig it works.
Unlimited frames / External Frame locking It might sound 'confusing' to ask you to set FSX to unlimited frames and at the same time ask you to LIMIT them externally. The reason, is because FSX is 'optimized' to process terrain loading on your aditional CPU's but ONLY when frames are set to unlimited. Unfortunately, running frames to unlimited also stresses FSX unnecesarily, so to counter this you need a very simple app that limits your FPS so CPU/GPU usage within FSX is kept constant to reduce stuttering due to CPU spikes. The tool can be downloaded here you need WinRAR (a program similar to WinZip) in order to open the file. You'll notice that FPS fluctuates a bit when using the FPS limiter, don't worry this is completely normal, most of the time it will maintain FPS constant which is what you need.

©2010 ******* 'Bojote' Altuve. All rights reserved. Check ******* LinkedIN page here

hi have just set up fps limiter and notice that my fps alternates between 30 and 32 is this normal, also when you click on the bat file to open fsx another box opens up should this be left open while using the fps limiter.

hi have just set up fps limiter and notice that my fps alternates between 30 and 32 is this normal, also when you click on the bat file to open fsx another box opens up should this be left open while using the fps limiter.
Leave it open. Once you exit FSX the program will prompt you to "Press any key to exit" and will quit as soon as you do.

Leave it open. Once you exit FSX the program will prompt you to "Press any key to exit" and will quit as soon as you do.
when i click on the bat file fsx starts but my fps in fsx varies from 24 to 50 it looks like im still using the internal frame limiter in fsx i have set up frame limiter again but still doesnt give me steady 30fps i have set fsx to unlimited. anyone any ideas.

Not sure what .bat file you are using, Jim.FPS Limiter 0.2 should be an .exe file. A comfortable way to use the FPS limiter would be to create a short cut to the program on your desktop and write the path of your FSX.exe into the destination property of it.

1. Make sure you have set FPS to unlimited within FSX and make sure the sim is not running
  2. Create shortcut
  3. Right click it and select Properties
  4. in the destination field enter your FSX path at the end (for example D:\FPS_Limiter_0.2\FPS_Limiter.exe "D:\FSX\FSX.exe")
  5. Optional: Add /f:x at the end, where x stands for your desired frame rate. The default is 30, which works fine, so no need to bother with that.

As has been mentioned before, the FPS limiter will not work with the ENB Series HDR Mod.

Not sure what .bat file you are using, Jim.
Err, my FS Limiter is a bat file. Mine is listed as fsx.exe.limited.bat.ChuckCYXU

I've got a GTX480. The bat runs the other box runs, fsx runs, but frame rate stays unlimited. I can see that because if I set 11 fps I should be able to look out the side window and see the ground stepping along faintly and smoothly. Instead I just see the whole view stutter like it always does in unlimited. If any Ideas, I will have another go...

Err, my FS Limiter is a bat file. Mine is listed as fsx.exe.limited.bat.ChuckCYXU
Okay, never mind my post then. But since whatever you are using doesn't seem to work, maybe give the linked FPS limiter a chance.