Sign in to follow this  
MrSpeaker

Ifly 737 fsx

But on other jets I can just enable the AP even though the jet is not stable. AP will just take care of it
HelloBut are those other jets realistic?

But on other jets I can just enable the AP even though the jet is not stable. AP will just take care of it
Not realistic, but they are implementing this on the iFly in the SP as an option.

Great idea on iFly's part to make the realistic joystick-autopilot function a user option. As much as the purists appreciate it (although they may have been frustrated initially as well) there has been alot of criticism from most users on iFLY's decision to mimic this aspect of real life behavior. The real thing does not have USB yokes with noise and spikes, so a concession should be made, realistic or not, since we don't have the high fidelity hardware that can prevent nuisance disconnects. I have my null zones tuned right, but I still on occasion will have the autopilot disconnect because of noise, and there seems to be nothing I can do about it. It's almost like having failures enabled (which I have never done), as I always have to be in front of the screen making sure OTTO does not go to sleep, but perhaps that in itself increases realism as the real pilots are always monitoring for unexpected situations. :biggrin:I wonder how PMDG will handle this joystick/autopilot interaction. I saw on a screenshot of their user options on the lower DU, a setting for "joystick realism" or something to that effect, so it looks like PMDG has already anticipated this issue, something iFLY maybe should have done as well.

HelloBut are those other jets realistic?
Well for example I can do this in the Level-D 767, or even PMDG 747.

Not realistic, but they are implementing this on the iFly in the SP as an option.
News to me. When I asked them about it I was told it was NOT an option they were considering.

Jay

Well for example I can do this in the Level-D 767, or even PMDG 747.
Still not realistic.
News to me. When I asked them about it I was told it was NOT an option they were considering.
It is on the list of fixes for SP1.

Still not realistic.
I had no idea that enabling the A/P when the aircraft is not in trim is something you shouldn't be able to do. Bit of a moot point for me, though, sicen I never engage the plane when it's out of trim... I always tend to get the aircraft in a steady climb, cruise or whatever before enabling the A/P. Nice to know that I was adhering to correct procedure without knowing it biggrin.gif

Benjamin van Soldt

Windows 10 64bit - i5-8600k @ 4.7GHz - ASRock Fatality K6 Z370 - EVGA GTX1070 SC 8GB VRAM - 16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX @ 3200MHz - Samsung 960 Evo SSD M.2 NVMe 500GB - 2x Samsung 860 Evo SSD 1TB (P3Dv4/5 drive) - Seagate Barracuda 2TB 7200RPM - Seasonic FocusPlus Gold 750W - Noctua DH-15S - Fractal Design Focus G (White) Case

I had no idea that enabling the A/P when the aircraft is not in trim is something you shouldn't be able to do. Bit of a moot point for me, though, sicen I never engage the plane when it's out of trim... I always tend to get the aircraft in a steady climb, cruise or whatever before enabling the A/P. Nice to know that I was adhering to correct procedure without knowing it biggrin.gif
Well, specific AP behavior would depend on which airplane and on how far out of trim you were. Most FS airplanes are very forgiving in this regard, probably because of the wide range of controllers they have to accomodate. And it certainly is very convenient to be able to activate the AP right after takeoff without bothering with trimming first.

Wish they'd release a hotfix or hurry up with SP1.. I can't fly the ifly with the mouse/fps problem !! :(

Still not realistic.It is on the list of fixes for SP1.
All I saw on that list is an option to disable the yoke while the AP is flying, thats not the same as disabling the AP disconnect.

Jay

Wish they'd release a hotfix or hurry up with SP1.. I can't fly the ifly with the mouse/fps problem !! :(
I felt that way to so today I used the Flight1 30 day refund for the first time as it was getting close to 30 days. Without that problem I would of kept it, but I'm really sure the PMDG one is going to be a great product and I will end up never using the iFly afterwards so it's just a waste.

What about the merging. I read it could be merged with the 7 8 and 900

Well, specific AP behavior would depend on which airplane and on how far out of trim you were. Most FS airplanes are very forgiving in this regard, probably because of the wide range of controllers they have to accomodate. And it certainly is very convenient to be able to activate the AP right after takeoff without bothering with trimming first.
I am surprised that simmers are getting caught out with this one.Perhaps complacency in previous aircraft which were not as accurately and as truly modelled as the iFly may have set in,in that one could select AP without trimming first.The developers of this particular aircraft,IMHO,the finest in the flight simulation world,a true replication of a real-world aircraft,made it quite clear from the outset that this development was going to raise the simulation world benchmark.The only other aircraft I know that comes anywhere near it is the PMDG and Level-D outputs.So,the question I ask,is,do we blame the developer for making an aircraft so accurately modelled that we have to follow every facet of flight preparation to climb-out as per what the developer and the manufacturer designed,or do we blame our complacency?