Sign in to follow this  
Mike_CFII_MEL

iFly 737 Has Been Released

Pretty much all the switches you actually would want to work do actually work, i.e the overhead lets you control stuff such as the cabin pressure, window heat, probe heat, yaw damper, electrics, hydraulics, APU bleed, air con, and up at the back you can align the IRS manually if you like - the systems won't work properly if you don't, although there is the option to have it fast align etc.You do have to start the thing up properly as far as bleed air and electrics goes, although there is no danger of a hot start from either getting anxious on the start levers, or a tail wind, so you can abuse the cut off switches more than you would on the real aeroplane, there is also a functional ground power and air system available too, via the menus in case your batteries are flat. On the pedestal, the nav and com radios all work and the FMC will autotune things as per the real deal if you have it all set up properly, most of the main panel apart from some light controls works. The MCP is fully functional, the EFIS panel is mostly functional apart from - like most FS airliners - the terrain display button on the bottom, but it does have the VSD available on the PFDs, which is fairly novel. the PFDs and a lot of other cockpit equipment can be swapped out for various different avionics fits too, via a config toolYou can open the cockpit windows just in case you get hijacked and have to hold a press conference at gunpoint leaning out of the window. The FMC is well modeled, with a lot of functionality, on par with the best stuff out there and it can autoload and save routes out. You will have to fill all the stuff in properly on the CDU in order for the nav systems to work properly, it pops up as a 2D if you click on it in the VC, but the keypad does function in the VC.There are some things that work which you would never need to use too, such as the seats can move back and to the side as per the real ones to allow you to climb past the pedestal - necessary on the real thing since they widened the pedestal in the NG, which is of course unnecessary in a sim, the rudder pedals can be adjusted, again not that you'd ever need to do that in a sim although of course it is necessary in the real aeroplane.You can't pull circuit breakers on the back panel and you won't be lifting the carpets up to use the floor viewport to check if the gear is down if a light bulb fails, but for realistic flight simming of normal flight procedures on an NG, it is as good as any other complex airliner out there. The PMDG one will do a bit more of course, we know that, but I think you'd have to be really obsessed with realism to fully appreciate the differences, and if you do appreciate realism, you will appreciate the effort that has gone into the iFly version.If I had to compare it to another FSX airliner as far as how faithful it is to the real aeroplane systems-wise, I would say it was very similar to the way the Simcheck Airbus A300 has been simulated, perhaps even a little better, and if you have that one, you will know that is a big compliment.Al

Alan Bradbury

Check out my youtube flight sim videos: Here

No not every switch is functional (I was a little disappointed as well with that). For example while the individual gauges have dimmers, the Main panel light is non functional. That being said, there are only a few, and no flight critical functions are affected. It seems for most developers, lights seem to be a big problem for them to do it right. Only a couple of addon developers have been able to do them justice. This addon comes in between them. It is better than most.Me either, but I think the problem may be caused by the use of FSUIPC to calibrate flight control AXIS (Which I don't use). Other addons have had similar issues.
I am pretty sure the lights are still a "work in progress". I believe I read that somewhere.

Ark

--------------------------

I9 9900K @ 5ghz / 32GB G.Skill (Samsung B) / Aorus Master Mobo / EVGA GTX 2080Ti FTW 3

Yup that is true, it was held up by a bug, but they knew people wanted to get their hands on the thing, so they released it with simpler light functions because they said it would take a while to get it properly sorted. As it stands, I think it is okay lights-wise, but it is set for an improvement all the same.Al

Alan Bradbury

Thanks for the help guys! Installing now! How bout FS2 Crew? Is it worth it for this? How does it work can you actually talk to it and it will do what you tell it to do? Should I get the voice or button press edition? Can you still do most the things in the cockpit or does it take over?

Your best bet is to go to the FS2 Crew website and read up on the products. Or see the video here:http://www.fs2crew.com/cart/products/FS2Crew%3A-iFly-737NG-Voice-and-Button-Control-Special-Bundle-Package.htmlThere is a review coming of the iFly version of FS2 Crew (probably me doing that one, since Bryan asked me to), but since he only asked me about two hours ago, it'll obviously be a while before that review is out.Al

Alan Bradbury

Just got this but when I go to panel state it brings up an external window to choose and I cant click on anything am I going to have to run FSX in windowed mode?

You set panel state in the configuration program before starting fsx. In the edit fleet section you find your repaint in the list then edit it

Just got this but when I go to panel state it brings up an external window to choose and I cant click on anything am I going to have to run FSX in windowed mode?
Ash there's a fix for this in the iFly licensed member's forum which enables you to access the panel state menu (and others) in full screen mode.Regards,Justin

Im loving my Ifly, I just have to work on the X wind landings.biggrin.gif

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-2FSlC5tFDc&feature=player_detailpage

What scenery addons are you using? It looks absolutely stunning!

Benjamin van Soldt

Windows 10 64bit - i5-8600k @ 4.7GHz - ASRock Fatality K6 Z370 - EVGA GTX1070 SC 8GB VRAM - 16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX @ 3200MHz - Samsung 960 Evo SSD M.2 NVMe 500GB - 2x Samsung 860 Evo SSD 1TB (P3Dv4/5 drive) - Seagate Barracuda 2TB 7200RPM - Seasonic FocusPlus Gold 750W - Noctua DH-15S - Fractal Design Focus G (White) Case

You have never heard of ORBX? :(

A pilot is always learning and I LOVE to learn.

You have never heard of ORBX? :(
I thought it was OrbX, but since he was flying in Canada and OrbX mostly does the USA and AU, I didn't think it could be OrbX scenery. Coverage of Canada isn't that big, anyway. I understand that it is OrbX, then?Doing my first iFly 737NG flight: ESSA to ENBR with a SAS 737-600. All seems to be going well, except that for some reason the FMC doesn't calculate the speeds and altitudes, and so I can't use VNAV. I don't care too much, to be honest, just wondering what could have gone wrong since I filled out the entire PERF INIT page. Must say I'm not a fan of the 737's engine soudns though. They are high and squeeky. I like the low rumbling of the 767's and 747's GE and PW engines better.

Benjamin van Soldt

Windows 10 64bit - i5-8600k @ 4.7GHz - ASRock Fatality K6 Z370 - EVGA GTX1070 SC 8GB VRAM - 16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX @ 3200MHz - Samsung 960 Evo SSD M.2 NVMe 500GB - 2x Samsung 860 Evo SSD 1TB (P3Dv4/5 drive) - Seagate Barracuda 2TB 7200RPM - Seasonic FocusPlus Gold 750W - Noctua DH-15S - Fractal Design Focus G (White) Case

I thought it was OrbX, but since he was flying in Canada and OrbX mostly does the USA and AU, I didn't think it could be OrbX scenery. Coverage of Canada isn't that big, anyway.
At least in terms of area I think the three ORBX NA packages actually cover more of Canada than of the US.
Doing my first iFly 737NG flight: ESSA to ENBR with a SAS 737-600. All seems to be going well, except that for some reason the FMC doesn't calculate the speeds and altitudes, and so I can't use VNAV. I don't care too much, to be honest, just wondering what could have gone wrong since I filled out the entire PERF INIT page.
Do you remember if you got the "PRE-FLT COMPLETE" message on the TAKEOFF REF page? If something is missing this will not be displayed, and the steps you need to complete will be listed next to the line select keys on lines 4 and 5.

I did not get that... and I know why. I didn't think that not filling in the arrival runway would be a problem (on the LDS767, it never was). The moment I filled it in, all relevant data was calculated and I could use VNAV. It's amazing how subtle the differences are between Boeing aircraft. I'm not a fan of Airbus aicraft, but I do hand them at least one thing: continuity between their Aircraft's cockpits.The flight progresses well in the meantime, I'm almost at ENBR. The plane flies very nicely and does what you expect. Good work, IFly! If only the final FPS tidbits were remedied, then it'd get close to being perfect.

Benjamin van Soldt

I did not get that... and I know why. I didn't think that not filling in the arrival runway would be a problem (on the LDS767, it never was).
I don't think that's it, I've done several flights where I did not fill in any destination info other than the arrival airport, and I've not had any VNAV issues.