Sign in to follow this  
Sesquashtoo

As other users, FED UP with CTD's using FSX.

I give up.I throw in the towel.One hour into a flight using the stock 737-800 and flying from KDTW to KMYR, I had a terrain.dll fatal CTD, and am simply not putting up any longer with the 'cross-your-fingers' manner of use, that FSX will actually perform for a whole user session.Ultimately, I have wasted hundreds of dollars in add-ons, plane and scenery because FSX was until today, on my system.It was gone as of 15 minutes ago........bye-bye. Lots of room once more on my hard drive for simulation programs that RUN, with no crash and burn. I had hoped with the last tens of hours of tweaking, that I FINALLY had a somewhat stable sim. It appeared so for a very short while. Very short....as others have also endured.No matter what you do, FSX from the get-go was not a very stable platform, with RTM 'suck' performance. Hence all the TWEAK posts. No kidding....M.S. ran like h*ll and abandoning it for good reasons, closed up the shop that coded it out. Also, I do not believe that there are ANY users of FSX that have not had a CTD and/or an animation freeze at any time of usage since it came out!!!!!I am going back to FS9.5, as it will LET YOU get to the destination...and YOU are the one that shuts the sim down at the successful ending of your usage.FED UP!One thing I have $$-learned...is that I will NOT be buying any add-on (scenery or planes) with FLIGHT until I see that there seems to be no stability issues, by users posting to AVSIM and other sites. I'm not going to throw good money again, after a lousy-coded sim. I'll buy it, and fly it stock. I'll wait in the bush until FLIGHT's hopeful running stability proves it will be a good move to start adding on with 3rd Party offerings. As for FSX? What a loss....Thanks to all for letting me vent. Consider myself vented, (smile).Back your regularly scheduled programing.FS9.5 Mitch'er

I know exactly what you mean. Uninstalled FS once too because of CTD frustration. As posted in the other topic I had 3 completely different systems but on all 3 FS would CTD. Going back to FS9...i'm not so sure. FS9 CTDed a lot for me too.

I never, ever get a CTD in either FS9 or FSX. Never. Since the software (FS9&FSX) is identical between our systems... that means the only thing that's going to be different are the systems and their hardware/software. You're quick to blame FS itself... but I can assure you... if you're getting a lot of CTDs, your system is the instability source... not FS.

Ed Wilson

Mindstar Aviation
My Playland - I69

CTD's are our wives, don't fed up with them... we are married to ctd's as long as we continuing to use fsx.

Cenk Demir

Besiktas JK 1903

Sorry to hear that, Mitch, and surprised as well. You've contributed so many positively ecstatic posts over the past couple years when you had FSX behaving itself.John

Guest PFL

Bold and honest statement, thanks Sesquashtoo!I´m a newb compared to all the great veterans here, 2 years, and what a rollercoaster-ride...Sometimes I wish I´ve never discovered this "FS Flightsim Madhouse" - my wife sure would be happy.I´m a firm believer in the fact (my fact, and other disappointed users/customers) that it´s an unfinished product, and MS HQ gave up on it, and like you say, fired the whole ACES bunch!Black%20Eye.gifWill it be different with MS Flight?I dunno, but you can judge a company by the behaviour and appearence of it´s Head Honcho, and this is quite depressing, because he´s an embarrasment to the whole industry!Look at him jumping and screaming:http://www.youtube.c...8C29B40CA420773What a moron...

Sorry to hear this, I feel your pain.I guess I am one of the fortunate ones that rarely get a CTD. I have my FSX entirely on its own 1 terabyte HD, and I have taken very good care to make changes slowly carefully, not that this has mattered. I have the base program installed (clean) and then copied the base to another folder then linked the registry to this new folder. In this way I have a complete install sitting unaffected by various addons or uninstalled.I decided not to Overclock, not to use some of the tools that are out there that folks seem to think all help make their machines faster etc. I figure the less interference with the base computer the better.One trick I learned was as you are making a long flight, try saving the flight every 15 min to a file so that if, in the event of a crash, then the flight can be recovered as you progress along the way. I name the saved flight file "1-current" so that it is at the top of the list of flights. I do this largely so that I can leave and come back into a flight later because I often do not have continuous blocks of time that allow longer flights, especially when I want to shut my computer down.The only issue I have is that I can't fly military jets at their higher speeds because I will start getting the blurries which is very annoying, so I fly my VR F/A 18 Super Hornet at slower speeds like 250 kts. Still lots of fun.cheersAnyway, sorry about your issues.

Bryan Wallis aka "fltsimguy"

Maple Bay, British Columbia

Near CAM3

How did you link registry to a folder? What do you mean?I don't see how installing FSX on its own HDD matters, as it will still require %appdata% and programdata files on the OS partition, as well as registry and redistributable files in C:\windows

What's with the FSX is S***t posts.Don't you know that FSX is the best sim Ms have ever, and will ever release?I have it on good authority from a number of forum members that Ms have never released a bad sim so that means all these crashes are user error.Bunch of dumb idiots you lot, been simming for years and don't know how to set up your machines properly.I think Ms knew the truth though, as someone once famously said "it it all goes south we will role it up and hang it around their neck".Paraphrasing somewhat, starring Pam Landy as the longsuffering FSX users and Ezra Cramer as Ms...one of the bourne films if you didn't know.Bryan.

Thanks to all for letting me vent. Consider myself vented, (smile).Back your regularly scheduled programing.FS9.5 Mitch'er
I've watched your progress over the years with respect to FSX and hardware. I've seen you get a badass rig, tweak it, sing from the heavens on performance, do other tweaks, vigorously and graciously share these tweaks, generously share screenshots and other tips, and I've appreciated it all.However, I do think that so much mucking about will generally cause problems. I've invested my $1,000's as well, and I have LOTS of money invested in FSX. But some things that I haven't done in a long time is: overclock my hardware in any capacity or tweak my fsx.cfg beyond Bojote's most conservative options here: http://www.venetubo.com/fsx.htmlOther than a possibility that you have RAM starting to fail, which is quite a possibility, one thing to do is:Reformat the FSX drive (hopefully you do use a separate drive for it) and methodically start over. When doing so, resist the urge to tweak, just draw some sliders back to the left and enjoy flying.Take a breather and get back in.

Jeff Bea

I am an avid globetrotter with my trusty Lufthansa B777F, Polar Air Cargo B744F, and Atlas Air B748F.

Bunch of dumb idiots you lot, been simming for years and don't know how to set up your machines properly.Bryan.
GTFOI know probably more about PCs than you

GTFOI know probably more about PCs than you
Not if you have CTD's you don't....LMFAO.By the way have you never heard of sarcacsm?Bryan.

FYI My system is:Gateway Computer - bought from Future Shop (although I wiped off all the crap software they install), I do not make up my own computer anymore, too many issues.Win 7 64 biti7920@ @ 2.67 GHz 12 Gig installed RAM - DDR3GEForce GTX 260 1.792MbUsed Nick's install procedure. Use several tweaks proposed by Boyote.Set my target FSX fps at 30. Heavy urban like KSEA I get 16-19 fps. Everywhere else I get my target.Sliders all max except I back off the autogen one setting.LOD 8.0TLM 4096 - I use Steven Frosts TLM editorAnd I now use Paul Wheeler's FS Water ConfigureI fly mostly purchased planes with great VC.I have every Orbx product ever produced and fly extensively in those areas.I have REX v2 and run the real weather integrator (but shut if off in heavy urban areas as it causes too much drain on my system).I am in FS heaven.

Bryan Wallis aka "fltsimguy"

Maple Bay, British Columbia

Near CAM3

Not if you have CTD's you don't....LMFAO.By the way have you never heard of sarcacsm?Bryan.
Ye doesn't seem like you were sarcastic