Sign in to follow this  
Brittfrog

tearing hair out with frustration

I dont know if this belongs here or in hardware but i am getting really pigged off with the visuals on fsx. when i fire the prog up the visuals are great, if i use one of the ftx airports superb, however if i use a say a 757 or 737 and cruise at 5 thousand feet the scenery ahead is blurred and doesnt create it self until after i pass over, if i look behind the scenery is quite good. if i practice circuits in a boeing the grass along side the runway is blurred, if i stop it sharpens up after a few minutes. If i then fly a leg of say 30 minutes each time i change the view from the cockpit and cycle back to the cockpit the cockpit takes longer and longer to repaint until fsx stops responding . now it seems that this is a memory thing has anyone any ideas of how to get on top of the problem as it is ruining my enjoyment using ftx or other peoples scenery. I have 6gb of memory and a gtx460 card and a core duo cpu . i have modified the graphics with nvidea inspector but nothing seems to make it better. Does anyone know if the addition of uiautomation.dll will fix this?

Nigel.Porter

I dont know if this belongs here or in hardware but i am getting really pigged off with the visuals on fsx. when i fire the prog up the visuals are great, if i use one of the ftx airports superb, however if i use a say a 757 or 737 and cruise at 5 thousand feet the scenery ahead is blurred and doesnt create it self until after i pass over, if i look behind the scenery is quite good. if i practice circuits in a boeing the grass along side the runway is blurred, if i stop it sharpens up after a few minutes. If i then fly a leg of say 30 minutes each time i change the view from the cockpit and cycle back to the cockpit the cockpit takes longer and longer to repaint until fsx stops responding . now it seems that this is a memory thing has anyone any ideas of how to get on top of the problem as it is ruining my enjoyment using ftx or other peoples scenery. I have 6gb of memory and a gtx460 card and a core duo cpu . i have modified the graphics with nvidea inspector but nothing seems to make it better. Does anyone know if the addition of uiautomation.dll will fix this?
I have a similar system you in the regards of having a C2D, but I have less RAM and a worse/older video card and FSX works fine for me with no blurries or FPS problems when using complex a/c and/or scenery, so I imagine that its something to do with your setup somewhere along the way.My recommendation would be to first try NickN's set-up guide found here which also includes more or less the correct video card settings: http://www.simforums.com/forums/setting-up-fsx-and-how-to-tune-it_topic29041.htmlAlso after than is done you can try *******'s automatic FSX config tweaker found here: http://www.venetubo.com/fsx.htmlBefore those two options you could also try deleting your FSX.cfg and let it build a new one to see if that clears up your problems.The uiautomation.dll fix is to solve the CTD after accessing the menus or making too many mouse clicks. It shouldn't effect your blurries however.POST EDIT: I forgot to mention the fact that if you are flying low and fast, generally it will be harder for the scenery to render and display clearly. Although than can depend on how dense or complex the scenery area is as well as how fast you are going. 250 kts or slower you shouldn't have a problem, but if your screaming over the terrain at 5000 feet AGL and doing 400 kts then it will be harder for the scenery to keep up.

Avsim Board of Directors | Avsim Forums Moderator

One of the things that will help, is to limit framerates in FSX.. it forces the system to load scenery faster, comparedto having framerates set at unlimited.

Bert

thanks for these thoughts guys, i had recently upgraded the graphics card to a 2gb mem card (from a 768mb) but it had little or no evident effect i have used *******'s prog but again didnt see much change I also have limited the frames to 30 per sec however i suppose in the end if ones approach speed is about 145 and the scenery is dense we shall have to wait for a gtx 980 card before we can expect the visuals to keep up with the sim . I shall just have to get used to looking where i have been to get a reasonable ground terrain or fly something slower.

Nigel.Porter

Fsx is a CPU hog so upgrading to a super powerful gfx card wouldn't make a huge difference. I have a 512mb geforce 9800 and get blurries but equally I have excellent performance and on 4gb of ram so it is possible.I seem to recall something like the highmemfix can cause more blurries despite enhancing performance elsewhere. This is something bojotes tweaks introduces if I recall correctly????Tom

Tom

Why not read some useful tips and tricks - http://forum.avsim.n...22#entry1965722

Definitely try *******'s automatic tweak tool thing. It made a significant difference on my system.He deserves a knighthood for that one.. :( Ian

*******'s config tweaker smoothed everythign out for me but i have severe blurries now, ground textures just dont load quick enough at all, so think im going to have to try delting my config and starting again.

It's always sad to read that, whatever effort, sim flyers putting in to configure their FS9 or FSX properly, there are still Hugh problems.Only thing that I can say about it is that after buying my new i7-2600i configuration and GTX580, all the major problems come to an end.Even with my former I5/750 running at 3800, 4Gb-GTX275 which was not a childish system to work with, fsx was a no-go and I stayed with FS9I know, it cost a few bucks, but after that, I am in FS heaven. Oh, still a few small problems, recourses of big add-ons that are fighting for their priority but FSX in base works like a charm with tons of add-ons as you can see by yourself when you watch my uploaded movie EDDS to LOWI which you can find in another FSX topic here.Happy landings...

It's always sad to read that, whatever effort, sim flyers putting in to configure their FS9 or FSX properly, there are still Hugh problems.Only thing that I can say about it is that after buying my new i7-2600i configuration and GTX580, all the major problems come to an end.Even with my former I5/750 running at 3800, 4Gb-GTX275 which was not a childish system to work with, fsx was a no-go and I stayed with FS9I know, it cost a few bucks, but after that, I am in FS heaven. Oh, still a few small problems, recourses of big add-ons that are fighting for their priority but FSX in base works like a charm with tons of add-ons as you can see by yourself when you watch my uploaded movie EDDS to LOWI which you can find in another FSX topic here.Happy landings...
I think one of the biggest problems is we all expect far too much from FSX. That is not to say we shouldnt have expectations and desires, but it is well documented that there are flaws in the product yet we still yearn for almost perfection - I am guilty of this at times. We know only too well that even the best of computers can still struggle to run FSX on high settings. However such high expectations are what drives us forward in trying to better the sim, its just a shame there is no defined line of how far we can go with it - wouldnt that be great in all aspects of life??I see FSX a compromise between what is possible and what is expected.

Tom

Why not read some useful tips and tricks - http://forum.avsim.n...22#entry1965722

Guest jahman
I think one of the biggest problems is we all expect far too much from FSX....
Reason is 3 Moore cycles (an 8x increase in computing power for equal $$$) have come and gone since FSX was released, so folks expect FSX to perform better and better, but forget the 8x increase in performance can only be achieved with multi-CPU, multi-GPU and Shader 4, whuch FSX cannot use.Note in the areas FSX can use increases in hardware performance, such as Disk I/O, performance has increased over the years and complaints about blurries and start-up times are all but a thing of the past.Cheers,- jahman.

Hi,If you set limited to 30 and you don't see fps as 30.0,30.0,30.0... then it's not working properly. I just posted this in another thread, so it is useful here:With limited mode you need to see a consistent fps, but also you need to have enough ‘time between frames’ to make ‘pre rendered frames’ available. Otherwise your limited mode is actually running in unlimited mode as it is topped out with no time for the pre rendered frames to be worked on. When you set limited in FSX, this is done for you and it appears that you have lost a lot of fps, but you have instead acquired a pre rendered frames setup. You will need to set it low, 15-20fps. I use FSX with DX10 and turn all the sliders to max and set limited 15, 17, or 19fps, and no tweaks. I leave the GPU control panel settings to ‘let app decide’, but I extend the pre rendered frames to max, this help smooth out the general flow of the sim when low over urban areas.Best regards;Steve

Steve Waite: Engineer at codelegend.com