Sign in to follow this  
kianus

Panel and airfraft freeze.

I've managed to reproduce the DU freezes! I've made 4 flights thus far, the first three with no issues but on the 4th my cockpit displays just froze whilst the plane kept flying and the undocked CDU kept going. I also know exactly what I did before it happened so did it again. For all 4 flights :- Flying online with FSCommander, FSInn and ASE running. On the the 4th flight only I took a screenie and loaded up Photoshop 9 to edit and save it (I don't normally do this!). On completing that I discovered frozen displays. So restoring the flight (I use FSUIPC Autosave which works brilliantly with the NGX) the displays were unfrozen, everything back to normal in just seconds. So after 1/2 an hour I loaded Photoshop again and the DUs froze again. The snag is of course that that was a 'restored' flight so may already have contained something which may have been contributory BUT I'm now convinced this is a resource issue since I was able to trigger it by loading another resource hungry program. Anyway. I restored again and happilly flew the next two hours with no problems at all. I wouldn't normally even consider loading Photoshop while flying and won't be doing it again! i7-2600k @ 4ghz (45C temp max), GTX570 1gb, 8gb RAM, W7 64 Hope this helps!

Bill Casey

wpigeon.jpg

Lot's of people are also having this without using any resource heavy software in the background (including me), and my specs are similar to yours, so it should be more than enough resource wise.

Well, add me to the list now. I was flying from EDDF to LTBA and was on final approach. Everything was good, smooth, 15-20 fps, switched off the autopilot at 700', all was good, then at 50' I switched off the autothrottle and the plane just flared up to 15 degrees and I lost all control over the aircraft. It was then that I realized that I had lost at least 70% or more of the panel functionality, 2D panel by the way. Engines stayed spooled up, no control inputs worked etc, Q key nope, F1 nope, however, key control for the fuel switches worked, f9 to go to V/C worked but V/C also froze up, fuel cutoff switches worked, etc., not much else though. The aircraft ended settling down on the gorund and then proceeded to move in reverse at a high rate of speed. Also, reverse thrust didn't seem to do anything. Need to check this next time on the ground to see if F2 actually works. Kind of a bummer way to end my first flight. Aircraft was the UAL merge livery of the 800WL, Xp 32 bit, 2 GB RAM, Intel Core Duo 1.66 GHz, fully optimized, ATI x1400 512 MB card, Logitech Extreme 3D PRo joysitck calibrated with FSUIPC (works fine in my case so far, yes, I have a fresh FSUIPC and have read the entire intro manual and FCTM). HIGHMEMFIX does nothing on my system. REX2, FSINN online with VATSIM, UVACARS running just fine along with GEX, UTX, ST, and FSGenesis mesh. Hardly a powerful system I know, but...it works. I did have the nose down problem earlier in the flight that cleared itself up at about the same time as the center fuel tank was empty. I do get the skeleton effect but it always clears up.

i7 3770K HT, 8GB RAM, nVidia 980GTX, Win7, P3D 3.4, FSG mesh, UTX, GEX, ST, ASA16/ASCA, NickN optimized

Just to confirm guys when you lose control (panel freeze) switch to the external model and although textures load okay and performance is fine as its still flying, if the aircraft was previously doing a turn the flight surfaces are physically 'frozen' on the external too so its the whole aircraft not just the virtual cockpit/ panel that is freezing as such.

Futher to my previous posts. For me at least, I still think that my problem is connected with FSUIPC Autosave. I have done the above flight three times, the first two times had FSUIPC autosave feature active : First Attempt: The flight I reported above, at elapsed time of 6mins from T/0 whole panel freeze, plane remained in flight, could no longer interact with the NGX.Second Attempt: Recreated my steps. At the same Elapsed time of around 6mins I was about to remove the discontinuity created by the hold going in when the fsuipc save routine kicked off which caused all of FSX to freeze for about 5 seconds, then everything returned to normal. This is what I reported on this thread last night and what I was investigating this morning before my above post. I did two flights EGCC-EGLL-EGCC without FSUIPC Austosave and had no problems. It was after I re-enabled FSUIPC autosave that I had my first attempt problem (http://forum.avsim.n...ost__p__2046634). So 3rd attempt disabled autosave again and there where no observed problems within the 'script' of my test. My theory is that on my 1st flight I was interacting with the CDU/NGX when the fsuipc save routine was called, which upset the programming in some fashion and caused the panel freeze. My second attempt I wasn't interacting at all with the CDU/NGX when the save routine was called, so I had the momentary fsx wide pause whilst the routine worked but then everything returned to normal. That's the best I can give you with the steps I've recreated so far, hope it is of some benefit. If anyone else has this feature enabled, perhaps you could disable it and report your findings. Now I have to get ready for work! Regards

Edited by Somebody_Else

Strangely I don't even have FSUIPC installed, it is a completely fresh install bar a couple of UK2000 Scenery airports, Aerosoft Palma, Ibiza & Menorca, Eiresim Alicante and GEX oh and obviously the NGX...

Hi,I have this issue too. For me, it resolves, if I change to outsideview and then back.Hope this helpsGreetingsStephan

Just to confirm guys when you lose control (panel freeze) switch to the external model and although textures load okay and performance is fine as its still flying, if the aircraft was previously doing a turn the flight surfaces are physically 'frozen' on the external too so its the whole aircraft not just the virtual cockpit/ panel that is freezing as such.
Not in my case. After the the panel stopped updating I let it continue for a while and it navigated past 2 or 3 waypoints where it changed course perfectly (watching it on FSC, externally and on the CDU). I suspect this thread may be discussing 2 or 3 different types of "freeze" which may not be connected. I presume Ryan (or someone) is doing some analysis to identify subsets of these symptoms because they don't all appear to be the same thing.

Bill Casey

wpigeon.jpg

For me switching to external view and back did not help.

Switching to external view didn't work for myself also.

Not able to replicate per se, but I've definately seen a frozen 2D HUD (the full screen one). Happened multiple times in succession as well, with some periods of normal functioning in between. Plus I have seen the 2D click spots freeze, basically not changing a thing. Interestingly enough the VC would still work, and eventually switching back and forth somehow might cure the issue, but no guarantees. Yet have to repro it. sig.gif EDIT Oh and switching to external view, spot, top-down or whatever seems to involve the outside model will CTD on a regular basis. It did work at times, but now I just refuse to do it until new video card arrives. Hope that helps somewhat. This plane is really not made for 256 megs.

I don't think it is related to FSUIPC either. I had a problem before where some of the windows in the FMS were blacked out and numbers could not be entered and numbers would not change in the speed, heading, and altitude windows in the 2D panel. They did work in the V/C but the FMC did not work in the V/C. So after my last panel freeze I loaded up the aircraft and again had black windows in the FMC and nothing could be entered into the FMC such as numbers into the scratch pad etc. Also didn't have any sound. So I deleted FSUIPC.ini and restarted FSX. All was well at first, everything worked, and then after entering in all the data, entire route, fuel, payload etc. and doing a few other things like setting up with overhead etc.for about 10 minutes, (actually less because the IRS hadn't finished aligning yet) this problem suddenly came back. This time I hadn't even set up FSUIPC yet, and my joystick was calibrated with FSX. Then other things on the panel stopped working. And then stopped working in the V/C as well (for example, the FMC menu button woldn't bring up the menu and the screen was black) . Going to outside view and back did nothing. Neither did going outside of FSX and coming back in. Still had sound though. During this time I hadn't gotten online or started UVACARS so these are not involved. At the time, I had about 20 fps on the ground in LTBA. Had to shutdown FSX. Now not sure what to do. Anyways, this could be the beginning phase of the panel failure that we seem to be seeing. I looked at my dll.xml and it looked OK. The new PMDG entries were at the bottom and so I moved them below my other PMDG entries so that the FSINN stuf was at then end, but this didn't seem to make a difference. One other strange thing I noticed was in my UVACARS Flight Events log of the last flight that crashed that I described above, there was a record of the anti-ice of Engine 2 and all the navigations lights turning on and off many times a minute for the entire 3 hour flight. I did not use anti-ice on this flight and the lights were turned on on the ground and off at 18,000' per UVA SOPs. So these things were cycling on and off or some other logged events that the ACARS thought was anti-ice and nav lights was toggling on and off. I wanted to post a small piece of the log here as it is really amazing how many of these events there are but I can't highlight it to cut and paste. I have never seen this in any previous flight event log of mine. Not sure if this is relevant or not, but just thought I would mention it.

i7 3770K HT, 8GB RAM, nVidia 980GTX, Win7, P3D 3.4, FSG mesh, UTX, GEX, ST, ASA16/ASCA, NickN optimized

I have to join the (sad) party here... After take off from LOWI I was holding at MUC VOR while descending to 5000. Exit the holding at heading 079 for final approach. The FMC had the arrival runway 26L selected via the same VOR. Autopilot was initially in L/NAV, V/S, then to exit the hold switched to HEAD Hold mode. Few seconds later discovered that the avionics are frozen and remembered that I saw this post. I tried to troubleshoot myself with switching views, etc. Didn't work. What I was left working was my throttle. The Joystick inputs were disregarded. Everything in the flight deck was still clickable and I could change the autopilot settings, however the plane remained on the last heading. Switched the A/T, A/P off, with max thrust the plane started climbing but I could not correct because of lack of Joystick control. This situation occurred after few hours seamless operations and a couple of landings and take offs using full autopilot authority to the last 1000 feet. Installed addons are LOWI, EDDM, VFR Germany South, Flight Environment X, ASE online weather, FSUIPC, AES Once again recap on the frozen items I tried and stated as not working - Lateral/Pitch control (joystick or autopilot) + all displays. [EDIT] Time of day - around 1PM. Weather - nothing significant - some clouds above 7000. FPS - around 20-25 (locked @30 with external limiter). No stutters or freezes. During the freeze troubleshoot I switched the views several times but there were no problems with the textures...

Regards,

Martin Martinov / VATSIM 1207931

Here's a quick question for all of you... just a shot in the dark. What time of the day is it? and whats the weather like? I bet some of this is due to dawn/dusk transition and/or bad weather which needs more resources?

I have replicated the error In terms of the freeze several times now. It is definitely the CDU for me, albeit I found if I save the flight as default I don't get it any more?. No idea on the exterior textures. I have tried with all weather and time of day scenarios.