Sign in to follow this  
rcbarend

RIP: David "Opa" Marshal

Opa was wonderfully generous as a fellow-hobbyist, but he was much more than that. He was also happy to chat about anything, swap family news, and share a joke. I really do feel a vacancy in my life. I am sure his family feel much more. That sadnes is the price we pay for our associations with those we love, and with someone like David, it's a fair price, since he was such a warm and kindly person who gave us so much. Maybe there's a little comfort for his family in knowing that he really did reach friends around the world.

Really sad news :( Opa helped me with a scenery issue a few weeks back and many times in the past. Always helpfull and such a kind hearted person, a great loss..

Rob Prest

Really sad to read this news.  Been away from FS for a year or more, but remember his posts and willingness to help back when I was active with FS9.  My thoughts are with you and your family Daryl.  My condolences.  :-(

- Chris

Gigabyte Z790 Aorus Elite AX | Intel Core i9 13900KF | Gigabyte GeForce RTX 4090 24 GB | 64GB DDR5 SDRAM | Corsair H100i Elite 240mm Liquid Cooling | 1TB & 2TB Samsung Gen 4 SSD  | 1000 Watt Gold PSU |  Windows 11 Pro | Thrustmaster Boeing Yoke | Thrustmaster TCA Captain X Airbus | Asus ROG 38" 4k IPS Monitor (PG38UQ)

Asus Maximus VII Hero motherboard | Intel i7 4790k CPU | MSI GTX 970 4 GB video card | Corsair DDR3 2133 32GB SDRAM | Corsair H50 water cooler | Samsung 850 EVO 250GB SSD (2) | EVGA 1000 watt PSU - Retired

Been a member of the AVSIM forums for a very short time. I've been browsing through old and new threads to gain a better understanding of FSX. One name particulary stands out as one of the most helpful and friendly guys: David "Opa" Marshall. The news of his passing away really brings tears to my eyes. My sincere condolences to his family. Opa, may you fly high in the heavens and play the pipe organ for the Lord.

For so many years.DM,rip.And thanks for all help you give so many. Geert BurgstraThe Netherlands

This was terrible news. How sad. I'll miss his posts.

I like many others here may have not know Mr. Marshall but through these forums and myself not ever having actually spoken to him I know that this FS community has lost a true beacon of generosity and kindness in "Opa". My sincerest condolences to his family during this difficult time...he will be sorely missed.

photo-thumb-129244.jpg I had missed seeing Opa`s avatar , and that calm assurance ... His ` Foot Print ` has been so large in our Forums that some token of our appreciation may well be in order, changing the name of the Hanger Chat Forum to `` Opa`s Hanger `` was an idea that came to mind , any other suggestions from the membership?

Although, I never really exchanged messages with Opa, I noticed that he often posted messages in the forums and was a real asset to the FS Community as he was always helping out other pilots. RIP

CXA001-1.jpg

VATSIM: P2 | I1

Guest PFL

Very sad indeed... RIP Opa, you were a true Teacher! "A cloud does not know why it moves in just such a direction and at such a speed, it feels an impulsion....this is the place to go now.But the sky knows the reason and the patterns behind all clouds, and you will know, too, when you lift yourself high enough to see beyond horizons."

Rest in peace David, you'll be missed by your family and the FS community.I wish the family strength with the acceptance of their loss

This is incredibly sad news. Opa was without a doubt was one of the giants of this community, and will be hugely missed. He left such a high bar as an example of a wonderful human being. Prayers and thoughts for the family.