Sign in to follow this  
Paul Deemer

What is the obsession with the Autoland?

Bottom line is that I like to be as realistic as possible, so like real pilots I mostly autoland. LOL.gif Henri

Henri Arsenault

Why do people even care or wonder how others use their product? ....this thread is bizarre.
There's a "if you don't follow real world procedures, you shouldn't even buy the product" brigade on the forums. Below is the photo of one of those people when we talk about flying under the Golden Gate Bridge. gruesome_scanners-300x208.jpg I try to follow them as much as possible. Just last night I struck my wife because she was trying to make casual conversation below 10,000 feet, then I remembered I was never married, so I have no idea who I hit.

Chris Hicks

There's a "if you don't follow real world procedures, you shouldn't even buy the product" brigade on the forums. Below is the photo of one of those people when we talk about flying under the Golden Gate Bridge. gruesome_scanners-300x208.jpg I try to follow them as much as possible. Just last night I struck my wife because she was trying to make casual conversation below 10,000 feet, then I remembered I was never married, so I have no idea who I hit.
LMAO.gifLMAO.gif Love you new profile pic !!! Nerd.gif

forum troll Some of you arm chair pilots take yourselves way too seriously
Yes we do! Some of us take offense at people referring to this as a video game! Especially after we spend years learning how to fly like real world pilots. I have over 6800 hrs flight time in the 737-767-747-MD11 planes on VATSIM. It a Sim!

You may ask yourself why simmers use VNAV descent when real life pilot very rarely use it and prefer V/S or FL CH.Same question but different answer.In the world (yes, there is an "outside USA"), autolands can be decided by airlines policy. Few times a year for the training, in case of cat III bad weather landing or to control the aircraft systems. Some airlines require the use of autoland on specific airports. Let's forget about Airbus.The use of VNAV computed descent is never mandatory and lot of pilots don't rely on it...especially on Boeings :--)

Best regards,
David Roch

AMD Ryzen 5950X //  Asus ROG CROSSHAIR VIII EXTREME //  32Gb Corsair Vengeance DDR4 4000 MHz CL17 //  ASUS ROG Strix GeForce RTX 4090 24GB OC Edition //  2x SSD 1Tb Corsair MP600 PCI-E4 NVM //  Corsair 1600W PSU & Samsung Odyssey Arc 55" curved monitor
Thrustmaster Controllers: TCA Yoke Pack Boeing Edition + TCA Captain Pack Airbus Edition + Pendular Rudder.

Sorry Paul but this is wrong.Very few things are left today to the pilot's "taste".Airlines decide the conditions of manual landings and 80% of Airbus landings are done via autoland actually.
WRONG!!!!! I hope that's a typo on your part there as I hoped you would know better, 80% if not more, 95% even are done manually in the Airbus, Just because we have FBW does not take away anything from our hand-flying skills. Since the beginning of this year I have so far carried out two autolands, so unless every other pilot in the airline is carrying out autolands to beat the band I don't know where you got your figure from. And I don't mean to rant here but the idea that Airbus pilots are simply button pushers is not only wrong but an insult to all of us. There is nothing more in my profession that angers me over someone saying that we no longer fly the plane and that the autopilot does all the work, especially when they come across so smug about it, pulling figures out of the air like that. I'm sorry but I will not have it. Wishing you a good day,Rónán Kyne

Rónán O Cadhain.

sig_FSLBetaTester.jpg

You may ask yourself why simmers use VNAV descent when real life pilot very rarely use it and prefer V/S or FL CH.Same question but different answer.In the world (yes, there is an "outside USA"), autolands can be decided by airlines policy. Few times a year for the training, in case of cat III bad weather landing or to control the aircraft systems. Some airlines require the use of autoland on specific airports. Let's forget about Airbus.The use of VNAV computed descent is never mandatory and lot of pilots don't rely on it...especially on Boeings :--)
Most airlines I know of use a VNAV Path descent in Europe.VNAV is a very advanced system and on some airlines it is mandatory. Fred.
WRONG!!!!! I hope that's a typo on your part there as I hoped you would know better, 80% if not more, 95% even are done manually in the Airbus, Just because we have FBW does not take away anything from our hand-flying skills. Since the beginning of this year I have so far carried out two autolands, so unless every other pilot in the airline is carrying out autolands to beat the band I don't know where you got your figure from. And I don't mean to rant here but the idea that Airbus pilots are simply button pushers is not only wrong but an insult to all of us. There is nothing more in my profession that angers me over someone saying that we no longer fly the plane and that the autopilot does all the work, especially when they come across so smug about it, pulling figures out of the air like that. I'm sorry but I will not have it. Wishing you a good day,Rónán Kyne
Well said !!!

Yes we do! Some of us take offense at people referring to this as a video game! Especially after we spend years learning how to fly like real world pilots. I have over 6800 hrs flight time in the 737-767-747-MD11 planes on VATSIM. It a Sim!
Actually... Paul... by the strict definition of what a simulator is... it's not. Until it is approved for training by the CAA and meets the requirements as laid out by the authorities, it's a game. If you get offended by that you may want to look deeper at the size of your ego. I have been flying FS since the days of the C64. I've been logging hours online since the first dial up BBS virtual airlines existed. So be careful before you get your epeen out and start waving it around. Your attitude is what gives us aviation enthusiast a bad name. At the end of the day we're all Walter Mitties pretending to fly on computer... live and let live, can the attitude - Let people call it what they want, it doesn't impact you one little bit. All of our collective "simming" experience is worth nothing in the real world, so stop jumping on people from a great height with your ub3r l33t skilz™ your response is no better then a 13 year old script kiddie on the quake.net chat rooms calling people "noobs" while spamming ascii pictures... And I am sure you are a much better and mature person then that. Chuck

Most airlines I know of use a VNAV Path descent in Europe.VNAV is a very advanced system and on some airlines it is mandatory. Fred.
Bah-Humbug, most times we simply opt for an open descent, it suits ATC better to give them our best rate of descent, in an ideal world we'd use VNAV descent but it's not, and no airline can mandate the use of VNAV. It's just there as a guidance for us pilots. The day I get cleared direct LAPMO and discretion to 3000' is the day I'll fall out of my seat with joy.....

Rónán O Cadhain.

sig_FSLBetaTester.jpg

WRONG!!!!! I hope that's a typo on your part there as I hoped you would know better, 80% if not more, 95% even are done manually in the Airbus,Rónán Kyne
Sorry, obviously a typo as you can imagine!

Best regards,
David Roch

AMD Ryzen 5950X //  Asus ROG CROSSHAIR VIII EXTREME //  32Gb Corsair Vengeance DDR4 4000 MHz CL17 //  ASUS ROG Strix GeForce RTX 4090 24GB OC Edition //  2x SSD 1Tb Corsair MP600 PCI-E4 NVM //  Corsair 1600W PSU & Samsung Odyssey Arc 55" curved monitor
Thrustmaster Controllers: TCA Yoke Pack Boeing Edition + TCA Captain Pack Airbus Edition + Pendular Rudder.

Guest tonyf38

"Nothing beats the human touch"... ~My former flight instructor who was a fighter pilot and United 767 Capt~

I've also got a Batman simulator called Arkham Asylum. It's prepared me for real world crime fighting.

Chris Hicks

Most airlines I know of use a VNAV Path descent in Europe.VNAV is a very advanced system and on some airlines it is mandatory.
Well, I've been flying Boeings 757 and 767 for over thirty years.Maybe not enough to convince you.

Best regards,
David Roch

Actually... Paul... by the strict definition of what a simulator is... it's not. Until it is approved for training by the CAA and meets the requirements as laid out by the authorities, it's a game. If you get offended by that you may want to look deeper at the size of your ego. I have been flying FS since the days of the C64. I've been logging hours online since the first dial up BBS virtual airlines existed. So be careful before you get your epeen out and start waving it around. Your attitude is what gives us aviation enthusiast a bad name. At the end of the day we're all Walter Mitties pretending to fly on computer... live and let live, can the attitude - Let people call it what they want, it doesn't impact you one little bit. All of our collective "simming" experience is worth nothing in the real world, so stop jumping on people from a great height with your ub3r l33t skilz™ your response is no better then a 13 year old script kiddie on the quake.net chat rooms calling people "noobs" while spamming ascii pictures... And I am sure you are a much better and mature person then that. Chuck
Sad but true !! At the end of the day, FSX is classed as a Game. Just as well we don't really believe that though !!! Fred.

Actually... Paul... by the strict definition of what a simulator is... it's not. Until it is approved for training by the CAA and meets the requirements as laid out by the authorities, it's a game.
Where did that come from? CAA or authorities do not need to approve anything for a simulator to be a simulator.Definitions for simulator Read to your heart's content. Not much mentioned about CAA but I would venture to say that FSX can be defined as a simulator. Just my humble two cents... ;)