Sign in to follow this  
N1G

"Shade" for FSX

It looks good and well-named as it doesn't add HDR so without ENB the shots look over dark to me. This is pretty much the issue with most graphics without HDR since they can only add shadows. It definitely does a good job at what it does and the shots with Shade+ENB look fantastic.

A stunning impression so far. The only downside I'd note (which may well be setup/preset related) is that some nice weather clouds now look like they will drop rain in the next minute. But flying around the Orbx enhanced areas looks even more amazing now.I've only loaded PNW so far, to test flight, but you won't need a comparison picture to get the different looks within the first second since the big and moving picture won't fail to impress then.The GUI looks a bit overwhelmingly filled at the first start, but I think I've got the idea behind those comparison areas and the various tones to choose from. But I'm glad to find some presets to try or start from and I'm looking forward to get some more user made ones too. biggrin.png I have REX running, which of course adds quite a bit to FSX, but that lighting correction from Shade really enhances the thing a lot.

Yes this thing is pretty neat, love the effects on the clouds, going to start messing around with some of the features later, wish the developer could open a forum up here at avsim, looking forward to community profiles. And here's one more pic :)

I'm sure it's a great little app - at that price, what's not to like? But, blimey, a little proof-reading of the manual would have trapped the plethora of spelling and punctuation errors that make it extremely hard to follow in places. It's sometimes the difference between the perception of a product as a serious and professionally produced application, and a piece of freeware, which this ain't.

Great screen shots Mark. I had see a bunch you had posted over there about a month ago leading up to this. Needless to say you really captured some great shots that show the product of well. Can you tell me more about the palette editor and can it actually create different ENB palettes that you can save and use with just ENB without using Shade? POST EDIT: Better yet Mark, is there a way we can download the manual or PDF that it comes with to take a look at prior to purchase to get a better idea of all the stuff it does.
The Palette Builder is not connected with ENB... Shade can be used with or without Enb. The palette builder allow you create a custom selection of colours, clicking on any of your custom values, will open the colour picker, from which you can either add that colour into a Time Of Day [TOD] slot, or modify it. Unless your running the program, this probably sounds baffling, but it become clear very quickly. You could send a message to Steve, and see if the PDF is available prior to purchase...

I got the program, and I was actually expecting more. I saw those screenshots thoughout the development phase and I was expecting something similar... while what I got is just some slight color change, no shadows from the scenery...

The Palette Builder is not connected with ENB... Shade can be used with or without Enb. The palette builder allow you create a custom selection of colours, clicking on any of your custom values, will open the colour picker, from which you can either add that colour into a Time Of Day [TOD] slot, or modify it. Unless your running the program, this probably sounds baffling, but it become clear very quickly. You could send a message to Steve, and see if the PDF is available prior to purchase...
Thanks for clearing that up Mark.Rather than contact Steve about the PDF I will just buy the program instead since it's only a few bucks. The only reason I was interested in the PDF was to see how ddifficult it was to setup and adjust. After seeing that one screen shot of the UI it brough back memories of trying to figure out how to create custom sky colors in FEX as well as the difficulties in understanding some of the stuff in EZdok. I'm sure if you know a lot about color, gamma adjustments, and all those type of things its rather easy, but if your like me and don't know much about that stuff or have a background in it, then its a bit more difficult to figure out. After looking at that one screen shot of the UI Jean-Paul posted it looked rather confusing with all the days and times of the day to make adjustments to. I had no idea about the 10 day sky cycles you mentioned and admit it sounds rather confusing.Anyways, since it has some presets to try out I will probably just start with those and see how I get on. I'll pick it up tomorrow and start messing with it.Thanks for the help.

Avsim Board of Directors | Avsim Forums Moderator

I got the program, and I was actually expecting more. I saw those screenshots thoughout the development phase and I was expecting something similar... while what I got is just some slight color change, no shadows from the scenery...
So with this utility you can change color tones ?On the screenhosts you could clearly see contrast/shadow popping out. Do you need to have scenery shadows on for this ?Are there no theme's to choose from, so one could start right away? Before buying this I will wait what others have to say about this.

13900 8 cores @ 5.5-5.8 GHz / 8 cores @ 4.3 GHz (hyperthreading on) - Asus ROG Strix Gaming D4 - GSkill Ripjaws 2x 16 Gb 4266 mhz @ 3200 mhz / cas 13 -  Inno3D RTX4090 X3 iCHILL 24 Gb - 1x SSD M2 2800/1800 2TB - 1x SSD M2 2800/1800 1Tb - Sata 600 SSD 500 Mb - Thermaltake Level 10 GT case - EKWB Extreme 240 liquid cooling set push/pull - 2x 55’ Sony 4K tv's as front view and right view.

13600  6 cores @ 5.1 GHz / 8 cores @ 4.0 GHz (hypterthreading on) - Asus ROG Strix Gaming D - GSkill Trident 4x Gb 3200 MHz cas 15 - Asus TUF RTX 4080 16 Gb  - 1x SSD M2 2800/1800 2TB - 2x  Sata 600 SSD 500 Mb - Corsair D4000 Airflow case - NXT Krajen Z63 AIO liquide cooling - 1x 65” Sony 4K tv as left view.

FOV : 190 degrees

My flightsim vids :  https://www.youtube.com/user/fswidesim/videos?shelf_id=0&sort=dd&view=0

No problem... he may have been reading this as Steve the developer has just put the PDF up for download. http://shadeforfsx.blogspot.com/
Great, thanks Mark. I am downloading now and will have a look if I can keep my eyes open a little longer :-)

Avsim Board of Directors | Avsim Forums Moderator

So with this utility you can change color tones ?On the screenhosts you could clearly see contrast/shadow popping out. Do you need to have scenery shadows on for this ?Are there no theme's to choose from, so one could start right away? Before buying this I will wait what others have to say about this.
To what I saw:I see some slight changes.These strong contrasts is what I'm after.Scenery shadows in FSX are not working to my knowledge - I see no difference no matter what I do, I even tried a clean FSX install.There is also no difference when Shade is used if Ground Shadows are activated or not.There are themes to choose from. Only downside, you have names of themes, but no example shots. You have to try each one on your own. There are about 10.It's not a simple program to use and it would be very useful to know, and it doesn't say in the documentation, how it really works.For instance, what does it mean sun (internal lighting) if you choose dark... I don't understand the concept thus have really big problems applying the concept.Another thing is this "10 days" concept of FSX. Which ten days are these??Does it also apply different colors in different presets depending on what color scheme you are using in REX for instance? I see that it applies better contrasts to already existing colors... that's cool, but is it depending on what you have set in you coloring program like REX? And some shots, I tried 4 presets, this is the one I like the best yet:Default:Shade:

OK, this is great:
After having seen these screenshots I bought it too.What Preset do you use there ? Looks very good. I am sure the developer reads this : please update the manuel with Preset screenhots and add some more explantion with perhaps some examples.A tutorial with screenshots would be nice.

13900 8 cores @ 5.5-5.8 GHz / 8 cores @ 4.3 GHz (hyperthreading on) - Asus ROG Strix Gaming D4 - GSkill Ripjaws 2x 16 Gb 4266 mhz @ 3200 mhz / cas 13 -  Inno3D RTX4090 X3 iCHILL 24 Gb - 1x SSD M2 2800/1800 2TB - 1x SSD M2 2800/1800 1Tb - Sata 600 SSD 500 Mb - Thermaltake Level 10 GT case - EKWB Extreme 240 liquid cooling set push/pull - 2x 55’ Sony 4K tv's as front view and right view.

13600  6 cores @ 5.1 GHz / 8 cores @ 4.0 GHz (hypterthreading on) - Asus ROG Strix Gaming D - GSkill Trident 4x Gb 3200 MHz cas 15 - Asus TUF RTX 4080 16 Gb  - 1x SSD M2 2800/1800 2TB - 2x  Sata 600 SSD 500 Mb - Corsair D4000 Airflow case - NXT Krajen Z63 AIO liquide cooling - 1x 65” Sony 4K tv as left view.

FOV : 190 degrees

My flightsim vids :  https://www.youtube.com/user/fswidesim/videos?shelf_id=0&sort=dd&view=0

Word Not Allowed,I just tried endless summer with the NGX, loaded at LEPA, ASE weather, dark clouds above, cockpit of the NGX was dark, moved into a sunny spot and the cockpit got brighter. Woww!!! Incrediable addon.I did not have ENB on, I always have it off in sundrenched locations due to the way FSX coded lighting in these arears, so will try when I fly over Switxerland. Cheers

After having seen these screenshots I bought it too.What Preset do you use there ? Looks very good. I am sure the developer reads this : please update the manuel with Preset screenhots and add some more explantion with perhaps some examples.A tutorial with screenshots would be nice.
+1

System: MSFS2020-Premium Deluxe, ASUS Maximus XI Hero,  Intel i7-8086K o/c to 5.0GHz, Corsair AIO H115i Pro, Lian Li PC-O11D XL,MSI RTX 3080 SUPRIM 12Gb, Samsung 970 EVO M.2 SSD, 1Tb Samsung 860 EVO SSD, 32Gb Corsair Vengeance DDR4 3200Mhz RAM, Corsair R1000X Gold PSU,Win 11 ,LG 43UD79 43" 4K IPS Panel., Airbus TCA Full Kit, Stream Deck XL.