Sign in to follow this  
N1G

"Shade" for FSX

I'm interested to hear from anyone who's buys this first to let us know what they think. The price is right though, only $11.26 USD, but I'd like to see some indepth documentation and maybe some shots of the UI before I get it.
I've got it. it appears that you can't see the light/shadow selections and their effect before starting FSX. I have an email into Steve to be sure that this is the case. I'll let you know as soon as I hear

Hoping that it may have the capability of "in game" settings

KROSWYND    a.k.a KILO_WHISKEY
Majestic Software Development/Support
Banner_MJC8.png

Sys 1:  AMD 7950X3D, NOCTUA D15S, Gigabyte Elite B650, MSI 4090, 64Gb Ram, Corsair 850 Power Supply, 2x2TB M.2 Samsung 980s, 1x4TB WDD M.2, 6xNoctua 120mm case fans, LG C2 55" OLED running at 120Hz for the monitor, Win11. Sys 2:  i7 8700k, MSI GAMING MBoard, 32Gigs RAM, MSI 4070Ti & EVGA 1080Ti. Hardware:  Brunner CLS-E-NG Yoke, Fulcrum One yoke, TM TPR Rudder Pedals, Yoko TQ6+ NEO, StreamDeck, Tobii Eye Tracker, Virpil VPC MongoosT-50CM3 Base with a TM grip
SIMULATORS: MSFS2020/XP12/P3D v5.4 & v6:  YouTube Videos

Hoping that it may have the capability of "in game" settings
It doesn't. This app does not operate at the driver level. All settings must be applied before starting FSX I just found out. This is going to take a while to get it adjusted correctly. Maybe people can share files as in ENB but at this point, I don't know. Can't answer the photoscenery because I don't have any Rolling%20Eyes.gif

I've got it. it appears that you can't see the light/shadow selections and their effect before starting FSX. I have an email into Steve to be sure that this is the case. I'll let you know as soon as I hear
That's kind of a bummer that you can't do it on the fly like ENB. It's very time consuming to have to reboot to keep checking your settings, but I suppose it's kind of along the lines of being unable to install cloud sets and things of that nature while FSX is live.Any change you could post some shots of the UI to see what it looks like and what is available to adjust. I was surprised that the info still seems kind of vague in the Flightsim Store add for this product. I guess there might not be much to say if its really simple.

Avsim Board of Directors | Avsim Forums Moderator

I'm pretty sure you don't have to reboot like you say. When you start shade, the color sets inject and when you quit FSX, they are removed. True, you cannot make changes on the fly, but you don't need to reboot between FSX starts.. -Damien

I'm pretty sure you don't have to reboot like you say. When you start shade, the color sets inject and when you quit FSX, they are removed. True, you cannot make changes on the fly, but you don't need to reboot between FSX starts..
So if you can't do it on the fly or in game and you dont need to reboot FSX, then what do you have to do? Just end a flight back to the FSX UI, make the adjustments, then start a new flight?

Avsim Board of Directors | Avsim Forums Moderator

I just purchased the software. I did not have the time to try it out yet but here is the UI. And here some more information about how Shade works (from the manual)

About ShadeWhile FSX has its own in-engine ambient light ramp that is non-controllable this light ramp also has a tone/coloursubsection that with some tweaking can be control by us as end users, this is where Shade comes in handy, Shade isa small 3 part program which will allow you to setup colours/tones for the 3d shadow and lighting & fog elements foreach day of FSX’es ten day sky cycle , the functions of each exe in the Shade package and there use will be explainedin further detail later on in this guide, but for now here’s a quick rundown of each exe and its basic function - Shade_GUI .exe A GUI that allows you to create/load/save custom lighting schemes for each and every one of FSX’es 10 day skycycle these settings are in turn used by the shade launcher program to set FSX’es rendering engine to use thesecustom tones for its 3D object/terrain lighting/shadowing & fog bank values - Shade_palettebuilder.exe A GUI that allows you to create load/save 180 slot custom colour palettes for use by the main Shade_GUI.exe colour pickers - Shade.exe A small launcher program that starts FSX after injecting your custom lighting values (created with theShade_gui.exe) upon closing FSX Shade will remove these values so no permanent Changes are made thus allowing you to run FSX with or without the custom lighting of your preference

KInd regards

Jean-Paul

I7 8700K / Fractal Design Celsius S24 watercooling / ASRock Z370 Extreme4 motherboard / Corsair 32GB 3200mhz DDR4 / INNO3D iChiLL GeForce GTX 1080 Ti X3 / Samsung SSD 960 EVO M.2 PCIe NVMe 500GB / Seasonic-SSR-850FX power supply / Fractal Design Define R5 Black case / AOC Q3279VWF 32″ 2560x1440 monitor / Benq GL2450 24″ 1920x1080 monitor / Track-IR 4

Nice, Im looking forward to hearing some reviews on this, the concept sounds really interesting.

So if you can't do it on the fly or in game and you dont need to reboot FSX, then what do you have to do? Just end a flight back to the FSX UI, make the adjustments, then start a new flight?
I apologize for the miscommunication. When I say Reboot, I was referring to Rebooting your computer, not FSX. I haven't played around with shade too much, but it looks like you must close and restart FSX in order for changes to be made. -Damien

you must close and restart FSX in order for changes to be made.
That is correct which pretty much makes this a no go app for me, unless somebody takes the requisite large amount of time to create a shared profile, and you know that everybody's taste is going to be different. The idea of this app is good, how it executes is...well..no going to be everybody's cup of tea. For ten bucks, you may want to give it a try. Consider it contributing to the local economy Money%20Eyes.gif Mark

Hi all,I just purchased this shader program, and it's pretty neat. I did a test on the telluride mission with a thunderstorm going on, and it looks really cool. You can see the shadows over the mountains, and the clouds have a deeper, more ominous look to them. Having only used the program GUI a little bit, it looks like you can set up an infinite number of color, shade variations. I didn't notice any frame rate loss, and I can see it's going to take a lot of tweaking to get it exactly where I want it, but I think for $11 it's worth the price. Terry

There a lots of presets to try, so you don't have to go through the process of making your own to start with... This is not changing shaders like FSWC, so it does mean you have to exit the sim to make changes, as it needs to 'inject' the new values... this is the case with other programs such as REX, so is not such a big deal for most of us. There is lots of scope with Shade to further customise your FSX experience, which is a great bonus for those who love to tweak and fiddle... which is most of us right?... cool.png

Here are 2 screenshots taken late in the afternoon : one with my usual mix of textures ( REX & FEX) and another adding Shade with default settings. Both are without ENBseries.

KInd regards

Jean-Paul

I7 8700K / Fractal Design Celsius S24 watercooling / ASRock Z370 Extreme4 motherboard / Corsair 32GB 3200mhz DDR4 / INNO3D iChiLL GeForce GTX 1080 Ti X3 / Samsung SSD 960 EVO M.2 PCIe NVMe 500GB / Seasonic-SSR-850FX power supply / Fractal Design Define R5 Black case / AOC Q3279VWF 32″ 2560x1440 monitor / Benq GL2450 24″ 1920x1080 monitor / Track-IR 4

- Shade.exeA small launcher program that starts FSX after injecting your custom lighting values (created with theShade_gui.exe) upon closing FSX Shade will remove these values so no permanentChanges are made thus allowing you to run FSX with or without the custom lighting of your preference
does that mean I have now everytime use shade.exe to start or only once ...?

Guenter Steiner
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Betatester for: A2A, LORBY, FSR-Pillow Tester
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------