Sign in to follow this  
RYR738

Making Waypoints (Tutorial)

Fred,I was trying this yesterday using your tutorial. On the FIX page I was able to enter the radial, downselect this combination to the scratchpad, append the /distance then insert it on the LEGS page.I found it was also possible to make waypoints relative to custom waypoints, though others have said the NGX can't do this. It works if you downselect the custom waypoint to the scratchpad and edit that. However the NGX doesn't give the new point a new name, so you have two waypoints with the same name.Am I right in thinking that in the real NG along track custom waypoints should be entered by selecting the LSK next to the original waypoint? On the NGX you have to select the LSK after or before it, and get a disco.Kevin Hall
Hi Kevin !That FIX page thing does not work for me and I never get a discontinuity with along track waypoints.Are you using SP1 ?Fred.
Fred,Great tutorial. Could we expect one on programming a DME-ARC ? Is this even possible in the NGX ?
Thanks Martin !A proper DME ARC will be possible when the new PMDG navigraph data is available.However you might find this thread helpfull.http://forum.avsim.net/topic/352668-is-it-possible-to-fly-a-dme-arc-with-the-ngx/Fred.

Hi Kevin !That FIX page thing does not work for me and I never get a discontinuity with along track waypoints.Are you using SP1 ?Fred.
Hi Fred,Yes I'm using SP1 with the 6700 expansion.I've just rechecked and there are no discos for the along track waypoints, my mistake. I was really asking about how the NGX procedure compared to real world. On the first page of this thread you say insert the along track waypoint at the LSK of the original waypoint. If I do this for a custom waypoint beyond the original I get the INVALID FORMAT message. I have to insert it using the next LSK down. For waypoints before the original waypoint (minus distance) inserting at the original LSK works fine.Re FIX page, it definitely works, but only if I just insert the bearing. Bearing and distance won't down select. So for waypoint ABCDE I set this up as a FIX, insert the required bearing (e.g. 030) on one of the lines and downselect to the scratchpad which then reads:ABCDE030/0.0If I clear the 0.0 and replace with the distance I want I can then upselect this to the route in the LEGS page.Kevin Hall

ki9cAAb.jpg

Hi Fred,Yes I'm using SP1 with the 6700 expansion.I've just rechecked and there are no discos for the along track waypoints, my mistake. I was really asking about how the NGX procedure compared to real world. On the first page of this thread you say insert the along track waypoint at the LSK of the original waypoint. If I do this for a custom waypoint beyond the original I get the INVALID FORMAT message. I have to insert it using the next LSK down. For waypoints before the original waypoint (minus distance) inserting at the original LSK works fine.Re FIX page, it definitely works, but only if I just insert the bearing. Bearing and distance won't down select. So for waypoint ABCDE I set this up as a FIX, insert the required bearing (e.g. 030) on one of the lines and downselect to the scratchpad which then reads:ABCDE030/0.0If I clear the 0.0 and replace with the distance I want I can then upselect this to the route in the LEGS page.Kevin Hall
Hi Kevin !Glad to hear that you are getting no discos with the Along Track waypoints.In the NGX using the minus sign works great for waypoints before the line slected waypoint but it should also work ( as in the RW ) with out the minus sign for waypoints after the line selected waypoint.It would be great if PMDG can fix this little problem.At least for now we have the workaround of sequencing them on top of the next waypoint.I will experiment some more and report my findings.Fred.

Fred, it was already asked above but I can't understand how it can be done. ATC wants me to be at a certain altitude within say 30 miles from present position. How do I enter an along track waypoint 30 miles away from present position? Thank you for your help!

James Goggi

Fred, it was already asked above but I can't understand how it can be done. ATC wants me to be at a certain altitude within say 30 miles from present position. How do I enter an along track waypoint 30 miles away from present position? Thank you for your help!
Hey James!Go to Init - Pos get the most accurate (GPS) lat/long from present position and select it, it will go to scratchpad, go to Legs LSK1 L, it will create a Wpt for your present position, create then a second one by Radial and Distance (30nm) from that first created Wpt and select it as the first waypoint, and fly to it! Easy like candy! You can do that pretty fast when got used to!

Rafael Henrique Carelli

Go to Init - Pos get the most accurate (GPS) lat/long from present position and select it, it will go to scratchpad, go to Legs LSK1 L, it will create a Wpt for your present position, create then a second one by Radial and Distance (30nm) from that first created Wpt and select it as the first waypoint, and fly to it! Easy like candy! You can do that pretty fast when got used to!
Hey Rafael, technically speaking not exactly something entirely "new", but I never looked at it that way or used it like that. Great hint! Big%20Grin.gif One of the many small details you're glad to know.sig.gif

Hey James!Go to Init - Pos get the most accurate (GPS) lat/long from present position and select it, it will go to scratchpad, go to Legs LSK1 L, it will create a Wpt for your present position, create then a second one by Radial and Distance (30nm) from that first created Wpt and select it as the first waypoint, and fly to it! Easy like candy! You can do that pretty fast when got used to!
Great Info there Rafael! Much appreciated, since I use Radar Contact./ Leffe

Rafael's workaround for this is good in theory but in reality making a waypoint at your present position is not realistic beacause you are obviously moving and quite fast at that.As soon as you make the waypoint you have already passed it !!!ATC would always give you a fixed reference if they wanted you to do something like you asked.An along track waypoint would be used most often for that purpose.It was a very good thought provoking question though and it's always good to get people thinking.Asking questions is a great way to learn things !!!It would be nice to hear a few more workarounds for this.Fred.

Hopefully PMDG read those threads about making waypoints, so thosethings missing acording to RW, will be implementet in the future, hopefully maybe with a smallpatch on the SP very soon, would be nice. im%20Not%20Worthy.gif / Leffe

Rafael's workaround for this is good in theory but in reality making a waypoint at your present position is not realistic beacause you are obviously moving and quite fast at that.As soon as you make the waypoint you have already passed it !!!ATC would always give you a fixed reference if they wanted you to do something like you asked.An along track waypoint would be used most often for that purpose.It was a very good thought provoking question though and it's always good to get people thinking.Asking questions is a great way to learn things !!!It would be nice to hear a few more workarounds for this.Fred.
It's not theory Fred, it's just how we do it in real life. And believe me, I had quite a lots of "present heading for x miles" ATC requests.If you take more than 1 nm to do that "waypoint" task, lets say 2nm until you get experienced on creating it, make that waypoint 28nm instead of 30nm. That's a little bit obvious.

Rafael Henrique Carelli

It's not theory Fred, it's just how we do it in real life. And believe me, I had quite a lots of "present heading for x miles" ATC requests.If you take more than 1 nm to do that "waypoint" task, lets say 2nm until you get experienced on creating it, make that waypoint 28nm instead of 30nm. That's a little bit obvious.
Hi Rafael !Yes, I have seen one of the Gol RW cockpit videos and you guys do things a bit different to us (Ryanair)Much more hand flying for starters and in most cases much shorter runways. (Santos-Dumont !!)I have enjoyed watching that video many times and have always admired the skills of the pilots.It is great to see your posts here and keep them coming.Best wishes from Ireland..................Fred.

How do I create a waypoint from an NDB, if want to fly the app in V/Lnav.Ex NDB14 (inb.course133) ESNU inserted in fms, 1st point of that app. is OU1NB(NDB) at 1640f in FMS, so I want to create an waypoint at 10nm before NDB so i can start the app at 2500f as per app.chart.I tried: OU1NB313/-10, OU1NB313/10, ESNU313/15,ESNURW14313/15,RW14313/15.......nothing works!Does anyone know how to create a waypoint 10nm from that NDB?

Hi Robert !Waypoints can be NDB's, VOR's, etc.If the waypoint is question is named OU1NB, line selct it to the scratchpad and add /-10 at the end of it.It would then be OU1NB/-10 in the scratchpad.Line select that on top of OU1NB.You should now have a waypoint 10 miles before OU1NB.Fred.

I know that the NGX has a couple of problems regarding this, but in the real bird couldn´t you simply create an along-track waypoint 30nm after the present position fix you just inserted by entering "/30" after lineselecting it?

Hi Robert !Waypoints can be NDB's, VOR's, etc.If the waypoint is question is named OU1NB, line selct it to the scratchpad and add /-10 at the end of it.It would then be OU1NB/-10 in the scratchpad.Line select that on top of OU1NB.You should now have a waypoint 10 miles before OU1NB.Fred.
Hi Fred, thanx!It doesn't work, it creates a waypoint but it's no way near were it should be, it's like 120deg of to the right, can you please check that it works for you? i have tried doing it both in air & from ground & with different NDB app. just doesn't work....?