Sign in to follow this  
Ben Cap

Who wants the NGX on P3D?

Prepar3d with NGX?  

341 members have voted

1. 1. Would you like PMDG to have NGX ported to P3D?

It would increase the amount of RAM that FSX can use and prevent it from being seriously affected by large graphics card's video RAM. Basically, if FSX was a 64bit application many problems that people experienced with the NGX (CTDs etc.) wouldn't have occured.
I've got a pretty powerful system and the only time I have EVER gotten a CTD was 2 years ago while flying the Flight1 super 80 pro.

People get so defensive when they read the word, "subscription""Shut the door on our hobby?" LOL You think LM is going to abandon a relatively new development for no apparent reason?LM P3D is getting more and more popular, what you just said was totally illogical. rolleyes.gif
.....Er well yes is the short answer. LM I assume are part of the US government's defence payroll. The US, just like the UK, are on the brink of a double dip recession. The UK's defense budget has in the past couple of years been cut and cut and cut and sorry to burst your bubble but the chiefs in charge WILL shut down what most will perceive to be a 'game'. FSX was and still is extremely popular but that didnt stop MS closing it down. If they hadnt kept the activation servers running we would all be screwed just as P3D users will if your subscriptions become void through default of their closure.I think it looks like an extremely poor simulator. For a start their website doesn't even work correctly. I have tried watching the two promo videos which cannot stream without buffering every 2secs despite using 3 difference pcs, 3 difference browsers and different ISPs at different times of the day. The flight dynamics also look seriously dodgy on their fighter plane video. Sorry but if it did looked better and had a fixed unit price I may have considered it as a replacement for FSX which has never looked better with the amount of addons I have.I also disagree with their business model, it's like something out of Dragon's Den getting the public to fund the your development of your product before its fully released.Sorry I tried modifying my post and it went crazy deleting my initial post and just posting the addendum above

800driver.jpg

Chris Ibbotson

Yes, yes, yes, no, yes, yes.Do you have the ability to distinguish between the necessities of daily life and a pure entertainment product?Can we please go with Dave's notion now? I'm sick and tired of justifiying myself like a backstabbing Judas, just because I do things differently than you.
I agree completely, whilst flight simulation is very enjoyable and I use it most days I can it is NOT important. I can appreciate some users say P3D is certified as a viable training aid unlike FSX but again flying and RL flight training are NOT more important than lifes necessities like food, water etc. To me it's on the same level as golf

800driver.jpg

Chris Ibbotson

.....Er well yes is the short answer. LM I assume are part of the US government's defence payroll. The US, just like the UK, are on the brink of a double dip recession. The UK's defense budget has in the past couple of years been cut and cut and cut and sorry to burst your bubble but the chiefs in charge WILL shut down what most will perceive to be a 'game'. FSX was and still is extremely popular but that didnt stop MS closing it down. If they hadnt kept the activation servers running we would all be screwed just as P3D users will if your subscriptions become void through default of their closure.I think it looks like an extremely poor simulator. For a start their website doesn't even work correctly. I have tried watching the two promo videos which cannot stream without buffering every 2secs despite using 3 difference pcs, 3 difference browsers and different ISPs at different times of the day. The flight dynamics also look seriously dodgy on their fighter plane video. Sorry but if it did looked better and had a fixed unit price I may have considered it as a replacement for FSX which has never looked better with the amount of addons I have.I also disagree with their business model, it's like something out of Dragon's Den getting the public to fund the your development of your product before its fully released.Sorry I tried modifying my post and it went crazy deleting my initial post and just posting the addendum above
Not to mention, they're explicitly not selling this product to the public. People are buying developer licenses here, when they're not developers. There's every possibility that Lockheed Martin will tighten up the application procedure and/or close out the accounts for people who aren't actually doing any developing, at any time. They would appear to have little interest in making this product available to the general public, likely because they don't want to deal with providing support to them.So all of you who are switching, there's a good chance you'll find yourself forced to switch back to FSX later on, when Lockheed Martin decides that their lax application process is resulting in too heavy a support load.Me, I won't be switching until there's an official way for the public to buy in, and one not involving subscription fees that could be changed at any moment without warning.

Mike Tomkins
Knoxville, TN
Flight Sim user since the subLOGIC / Apple II days

+1

Jude Bradley
Beech Baron: Uh, Tower, verify you want me to taxi in front of the 747?
ATC: Yeah, it's OK. He's not hungry.

X-Plane 11 X-Plane 12 and MSFS2020  🙂

System specs: Windows 11  Pro 64-bit, Ubuntu Linux 20.04 i9-9900KF  Gigabyte Z390 RTX-3070-Ti , 32GB RAM  1X 2TB M2 for X-Plane 12,  1x256GB SSD for OS. 1TB drive MSFS2020

I've never heard of this, but I Googled it and found this "Prepar3D application is not to be used, offered, sold or distributed through markets or channels for use as a personal/consumer entertainment product."How can it be used to replace FSX which IS for consumer entertainment?

I've never heard of this, but I Googled it and found this "Prepar3D application is not to be used, offered, sold or distributed through markets or channels for use as a personal/consumer entertainment product."How can it be used to replace FSX which IS for consumer entertainment?
Training or development. Start working on a patch of scenery or making an airport for yourself & bam, your a developer. Nothing in the Eula says you have to market or distribute your addon.

LM is fully aware of the private uses and have given its blessings to those uses.

Training or development. Start working on a patch of scenery or making an airport for yourself & bam, your a developer. Nothing in the Eula says you have to market or distribute your addon.
But wouldn't you still be developing for the purpose of entertainment? I wonder why they put that it is not for entertainment? Usually it's the other way around.

Aren't the majority of addons developed for entertainment?This is pure speculation, but I suspect the limitation has something to do with their license agreement with MS.

I believe LM has posted in other threads that this means you won't find it on shelves next to Call of Duty (or Microsoft Flight!) - they won't be marketing it for personal entertainment, but they don't seem to have any problem with people using it as such

Not to mention, they're explicitly not selling this product to the public. People are buying developer licenses here, when they're not developers. There's every possibility that Lockheed Martin will tighten up the application procedure and/or close out the accounts for people who aren't actually doing any developing, at any time. They would appear to have little interest in making this product available to the general public, likely because they don't want to deal with providing support to them.So all of you who are switching, there's a good chance you'll find yourself forced to switch back to FSX later on, when Lockheed Martin decides that their lax application process is resulting in too heavy a support load.Me, I won't be switching until there's an official way for the public to buy in, and one not involving subscription fees that could be changed at any moment without warning.
You have no basis for your statements. Rolling%20Eyes.gifJohn Nicol of P3D said that they are welcoming simmers to try it for a month and see if we like it....

You have no basis for your statements. Rolling%20Eyes.gifJohn Nicol of P3D said that they are welcoming simmers to try it for a month and see if we like it....
So why, then, do they make you say you're a developer to get access to it?Even if what you say is true, that just means they won't kick you out yet. One person on the team unofficially saying "Try it for a month" does not mean "Lockheed Martin Corp. promises that you'll always have access for $9.95 per month as a consumer using it solely for fun". It means "I as ecosystem manager and principle engineer am OK if you try it for a month, because I want to generate buzz and/or get more bug reports right now, and so I'm not going to throw a fuss at you saying you're a developer when you aren't". Could be next month they'll kick you out, change the price to $50 a month for consumers, or... pretty much anything really.

Mike Tomkins
Knoxville, TN
Flight Sim user since the subLOGIC / Apple II days