Sign in to follow this  
Simmo W

New AI TIMELAPSE vid for XP10

I'm not reacting to rumors and innuendo here, I'm reacting to statements made by the lead developer, which clearly indicate you won't be able to run X-Plane-10 with any kind of detail and max(20) AI, unless you have a top end computer. There was a time, I would jump right out and buy a more powerful computer, to run the next greatest sim out there, but sadly with the economy being what it is, those days are gone (at least for now)! With a default type aircraft and high detailed scenery, and even with 100% WOAI, or UT2 traffic, FSX uses 600-1GB memory, Only when you add complex addons does resources become an issue, culminating with the PMDG 737NGX, which takes it to the limit. So If as Austin states XP10 out of the box uses up all 4GB and CPU to run with 20AI, and detailed scenery, how is it going to support the 3rd party aircraft with complex systems, which eats up even more memory, that simmers are going to want, just like in FS?
Regarding the AI, I believe he is saying that to run it with a negligible frame rate hit you will need many cores. While a dual core is (relatively) ancient at this point, I would imagine you can still run XP10, just not on high settings without any impact. In all seriousness though, have you ever heard of a game/simulator that would just magically allow you to run max settings with a CPU that is 4 years old?? It makes sense that to get the most out of a NEW sim you will need to have a NEW mid to high end computer! Tell me, could you FSX on high settings back in 2006 with a CPU from 2002? Or how about FS2004 with a CPU from 2000?

Daniel Miller

I'm not reacting to rumors and innuendo here, I'm reacting to statements made by the lead developer, which clearly indicate you won't be able to run X-Plane-10 with any kind of detail and max(20) AI, unless you have a top end computer. There was a time, I would jump right out and buy a more powerful computer, to run the next greatest sim out there, but sadly with the economy being what it is, those days are gone! With a default type aircraft and high detailed scenery, and even with 100% WOAI, or UT2 traffic, FSX uses 600-1GB memory, Only when you add complex addons does resources become an issue, culminating with the PMDG 737NGX, which takes it to the limit. So If as Austin states XP10 out of the box uses up all 4GB and CPU to run with 20AI, and detailed scenery, how is it going to support the 3rd party aircraft with complex systems, which eats up even more memory, that simmers are going to want, just like in FS?
It's kind of a grey area. FS9, when it came out, was so complex out of the box that no one could run it on max settings. Even without add ons. So people had to find the sweet spot to make it run smooth. FSX had the same problems. These days, FSX out of the box can run at max settings because of crazy fast CPU's and graphics cards. To be honest, I don't even have X Plane 10 (although I wish I did), but I could imagine, if you were to run clouds resolution, AA, AF, shaders, terrain texture, world detail, HDR lighting, AI, vehicle traffic, autogen, etc... at maximum resolution, it only makes sense that it would hit ANY system hard. How hard for a specific PC setup is a question that can only be answered by testers or by users trying out the demo. When it comes to complex add ons for x plane, you cannot compare it to complex add ons for FSX. Both platforms are completely and totally different. NOTHING can be ported to x plane from FSX except just the 3D mesh. Even textures have to be resized. My Saab 340 is classed as complex. There are thousands of lines of code in that and has very little, if no impact in the sim. The new 737 coming out is even MORE complex and runs just fine. It's no secret that x plane is coded much more efficiently than the MSFS series. It's constantly being updated and tweaked. The difference here is, XP10 on maximum settings, from what I hear, will run at a very decent FPS with a powerful setup, whereas when FSX came out, nothing could run it at max settings.

I cannot believe all the conjecture here. What if Austin said 'this sim is so efficient that it only needs one Core? Everyone would seriously doubt it, then complain that it wasn't taking advantage of their nice new systems enough! To me it sounds nicely scalable. Again, wait for it all to come together and make your own decision.By the way, happy November! Where's the lastest MS Fright update? What are its systems requirements? Does it have a good flight model? Will I be able to fly online amongst the 9 year olds & their consoles to perfect my observation skills as a pilot?

It's like peoples buy a little MG thinking they will be able to fit and run a Ferrari V12 in it.....eye candy and perf. = high end computer, try Crysis 2 on a e8800 and a GTX 8800 768MB.....seriously guys.

It's like peoples buy a little MG thinking they will be able to fit and run a Ferrari V12 in it.....eye candy and perf. = high end computer, try Crysis 2 on a e8800 and a GTX 8800 768MB.....seriously guys.
Actually, since XP10 is still a 32bit app, if it uses up it's 4GB VAS allotment as Austin says it will, means your topend I7-980 system, has the same resource limitation as my lowly E6850, so have fun, when you want to add that PMDG level aircraft addon to it!!!

Thanks

Tom

My Youtube Videos!

http://www.youtube.com/user/tf51d

Actually, since XP10 is still a 32bit app, if it uses up it's 4GB VAS allotment as Austin says it will, means your topend I7-980 system, has the same resource limitation as my lowly E6850, so have fun, when you want to add that PMDG level aircraft addon to it!!!
Time for people to settle down a tad, I think.Tom, you are bringing in worst case scenarios on a piece of software that hasn't even left the head office yet. Is FSX not a 32bit app also? Yet it can run on a 64bit OS. Just like X Plane.Usually, at least for me, it makes sense to wait for an application to hit the market, get objectively reviewed and THEN make a decision. Not make a decision before it even hits the shelves based on an opinion that is, forgive me for saying so, so far out there, that unless you were Stephen Hawkings, seems just outright ludicrous.. Do you really think it would hit the market riddled with bugs and an enormous hunger for top end hardware and resources? Just wait and see and be objective fair about it.

I will try the demo, but I'm not basing what I said on just anyone's opinion, I'm basing it on what the primary developer, is saying about it. Maybe it was a poor choice of words on his part, but statements like "A lot of stuff happening at once. No surprise it will eat up all the CPUs and RAM (up to 4 Gig) that you can give it. " is not a very strong selling point. If true, though I give him credit for being honest!! I will try the demo, so hopefully he's just exaggerating the point a little.

Thanks

Tom

My Youtube Videos!

I will try the demo, but I'm not basing what I said on just anyone's opinion, I'm basing it on what the primary developer, is saying about it. Maybe it was a poor choice of words on his part, but statements like "A lot of stuff happening at once. No surprise it will eat up all the CPUs and RAM (up to 4 Gig) that you can give it. " is not a very strong selling point. If true, though I give him credit for being honest!! I will try the demo, so hopefully he's just exaggerating the point a little.
I don't think I'm reading into it what you are reading into it. What I can see from this statement is that X Plane 10 will make full use of the cpu and RAM. Give it more RAM, it will use that too. Personally, I'd be a little upset if it DIDN'T make full use of my system. What a waste of resources that would be. How much will it affect performance based on its scalability? Well, we'll just wait and see when it comes out. Try not to read too much into an answer given in a short interview. The interview looks to be just a short Q & A. For a more comprehensive answer to what you are asking, I'm sure the x-plane.com website has all the info you could ask for. As well as Ben Supniks blog. THOSE are your reliable sources of information.

Not beeing 64bit will be the one great omission and limitation of X-Plane 10. Even with version 9 you can't use a fast system's ressources because of that. But still I am looking very much forward to it. People need to understand where X-Planes comes from and judge the new features from there. Like AI/ATC: Until now, what was there was equal to nothing. Now this is coming - great!

To me it sounds nicely scalable.
I agree. Any piece of new gaming software (which is essentially what X-Plane is) will need the latest hardware to run at its best. People with lesser hardware will need to dial back the settings until they hit that sweet spot between visuals and performance. That this is true of XP10 is neither surprising nor unexpected.

It is really too bad that some people think that 64 bit software will solve the world's problems. They should read up on the fact that 64 bit programs run on 64 bit OS systems only run marginally faster or better.

You missed my point, peoples want the best sim. with a lots of eye candy with FPS in the 80's + all the time, they also want the developer to make sure that the sim. work on a e6850 without any perf. lost.....and to that I say...HELLO!! The developers are giving you a V12 engine (will see for sure at release) so if you want to use all it's power you'll need more top of the line hardware to keep up with it.... that's where my example came from, V12 in a small MG....what will give first, the transmission, the axel??As i understand XP-10 will need a top of the line GPU first with at least 2GB of memory to use all the eye candy, as I also understand each plane will use it's own core so I don't think my 980X set up is dead in the water yet.

It is really too bad that some people think that 64 bit software will solve the world's problems. They should read up on the fact that 64 bit programs run on 64 bit OS systems only run marginally faster or better.
Seems you and Austin share the same view.From the horses mouth. (I've never understood what that means!!!)http://wiki.x-plane.com/64-Bit_Processing_and_X-PlaneI guess it depends on how efficient X-plane 10's software is going to be. Looking forward to trying it out. Not looking forward to asking pleading the ball and chain for an upgrade. Still...it will be a good excuse to do so.

But you won't get a OOM error if you run over 4GB VAS.

Thanks

Tom

My Youtube Videos!

But you won't get a OMM error if you run over 4GB VAS.
You're talking about FSX. Again, X Plane is vastly different. It handles memory completely differently.