Sign in to follow this  
alainneedle1

X-plane 10 demo is out...

A main issue that I have with the GUI is the way that it looks. I feel like I am operating a program written long ago.

I don't see anyone raving about the interface in X-Plane.As a designer - simply put - it's not good. That is different from the idea that it may be completely functional. It "marches to the beat of its own drummer" - and by ignoring long-held, proven, and expected design conventions, I think part of the dislike it that it presents itself as "f#$# you, don't like it, too bad."Laminar could have made great improvements here - perception is reality. But they're a small company. However, just as with Flight, we don't know how the final will turn out and fans of both can only keep their fingers crossed. Doesn't look like the XP interface will change, though.

Laminar could have made great improvements here - perception is reality. But they're a small company. However, just as with Flight, we don't know how the final will turn out and fans of both can only keep their fingers crossed. Doesn't look like the XP interface will change, though.
Prepar3D went through this themselves. P3D v1.0's UI was totally reworked from the really bad one that MS/ACES had done for ESP. When P3D released v1.1, the UI got throughly borked up. Much effort was put into reworking the UI to fix it up again for v1.2...

Fr. Bill    

AOPA Member: 07141481 AARP Member: 3209010556

Avsim Board of Directors | Avsim Forums Moderator

I don't see anyone raving about the interface in X-Plane.As a designer - simply put - it's not good. That is different from the idea that it may be completely functional. It "marches to the beat of its own drummer" - and by ignoring long-held, proven, and expected design conventions, I think part of the dislike it that it presents itself as "f#$# you, don't like it, too bad."
I watched a preview vid where Austin was demo-ing X-plane for some folks at Lelystad and he even said something like "I think I am the only person in the world who likes the interface"So yeah I don't think it's going to change, and I think that Austin realizes that it turns alot of people off the program. It might benefit them to add a simpler interface over the top of it, with all those infinite options available as an advanced tab, but hey that's up to the LR team to decide. After doing it once or twice you can get in and set up your options pretty quickly, but I am sure it's pretty dizzying for a first time user.

I watched a preview vid where Austin was demo-ing X-plane for some folks at Lelystad and he even said something like "I think I am the only person in the world who likes the interface"So yeah I don't think it's going to change, and I think that Austin realizes that it turns alot of people off the program.It might benefit them to add a simpler interface over the top of it, with all those infinite options available as an advanced tab, but hey that's up to the LR team to decide. After doing it once or twice you can get in and set up your options pretty quickly, but I am sure it's pretty dizzying for a first time user.
some me the money ... Austin will change it UI, my bet!

To all of the people that are saying XP10 is awesome.... LOL.gifLMAO.gifI just downloaded the trial for the first time and I am TOTALLY unimpressed.Same as XP9.... Just takes WAY longer to load and harder on FPS. Menu layout is still AWFUL.Sound system is something from 10 years ago.-- ONE engine sound file for the 172.Flight dynamics are terrible.... I fly 172's in real life and this thing handles much worse than the FSX 172 default.ROFL

To all of the people that are saying XP10 is awesome.... LOL.gifLMAO.gifI just downloaded the trial for the first time and I am TOTALLY unimpressed.Same as XP9.... Just takes WAY longer to load and harder on FPS. Menu layout is still AWFUL.Sound system is something from 10 years ago.-- ONE engine sound file for the 172.Flight dynamics are terrible.... I fly 172's in real life and this thing handles much worse than the FSX 172 default.ROFL
Thanks for your input, Ben.Feel free to rturn to your sim of choice.Have a look at this wonderful scenery in Prepar3d.I wish you well.f16db.jpg

Thanks for your input, Ben.Feel free to rturn to your sim of choice.Have a look at this wonderful scenery in Prepar3d.I wish you well.f16db.jpg
1. Turn up your settings.2. Show the FPS.3. Anti-Alaising looks MUCH better.4. Clouds looks much better.5. Textures on aircraft are much more crisp.6. 3D Sound Cones7. Professional Easy to use GUI. Not something that looks like Windows 95ALSO, FPS in XP10 are much worse than FSX and P3D at the same settings.XP10 is by far the most demanding sim I've ever used. Blows FSX out of the water as a performance HOG.

1. Turn up your settings.2. Show the FPS.3. Anti-Alaising looks MUCH better.4. Clouds looks much better.5. Textures on aircraft are much more crisp.6. 3D Sound Cones7. Professional Easy to use GUI. Not something that looks like Windows 95ALSO, FPS in XP10 are much worse than FSX and P3D at the same settings.XP10 is by far the most demanding sim I've ever used. Blows FSX out of the water as a performance HOG.
Ok, obviously, you know best.im Not Worthy.gif

I watched a preview vid where Austin was demo-ing X-plane for some folks at Lelystad and he even said something like "I think I am the only person in the world who likes the interface"
Understanding your flaws is a start, but DOING SOMETHING ABOUT THEM is another. The UI has been the same for so long I dont feel that even though he understands the problem, he wont do anything about it.

Kevin Miller

3D Artist and developer

And if you can't figure out how to setup your joystick in any flight-sim, you need a different hobby or just wait for Nick_N to post a guide on how to do it.
Thats a rather bold statement considering that I have been flying flight sims since DOS days, and worked on flight sims on teams like Oleg Maddox/1C and ACES, yet your telling me im too stupid for flight sims? Careful when your sling insults. You dont know who your talking with. Im just saying most flight sims welcome new users with an easy to use UI, that has more advanced features for those who want to go beyond the basics. There is no such welcoming layer in XP, so the learning curve for new users is more like a brick wall. Not all of us are willing to climb it.This is the thing that gets me the most. After XP10 "BETA DEMO" is out, the forums light up with complaints about the bad UI from new users. Not just AVSIM, but many other forums. Even Austin himself seems to understand that the UI is not the most friendly. Yet the XP fans bitterly defend the UI and even go so far as insulting new users. I would understand there position if it was just 1 or 2 FSX die hards crying about the UI, but my god people! Open your eyes! Almost every complaint I have seen so far is about the UI. Maybe, just maybe, they may be onto something?

Kevin Miller

3D Artist and developer

Just tried the DEMO. Never used xplane before. I always heard the flight models are meant to be awesome.In the XP10 demo the flight models are totally poop. All the planes wobble around like they are hanging on threads.Visuals are average & performance is dodgy.UNINSTALLED!FSX IS KING!!!
You tried ALL the planes and ALL the settings already??Well that was FAST! I've had it for about 3 or 4 days and I still haven't tried all the planes.BTW, I'd like to know how you uninstalled it.

Just tried the DEMO. Never used xplane before. I always heard the flight models are meant to be awesome.In the XP10 demo the flight models are totally poop. All the planes wobble around like they are hanging on threads.Visuals are average & performance is dodgy.UNINSTALLED!FSX IS KING!!!
Totally agree. More and more people are actually realizing why this sim has little to no potential. They need to fix these things in order to win over current FSX users.I would be MUCH more apt to switch if the experience actually was easy and enjoyable. The sim is WAY WAY to dull and lifeless.
You tried ALL the planes and ALL the settings already??Well that was FAST! I've had it for about 3 or 4 days and I still haven't tried all the planes.BTW, I'd like to know how you uninstalled it.
To uninstall you delete the folder Silly.gifIf you try some of the planes you realize that they all fly similarly with that "blade element theory" stuff that they claim is SO realistic....I've logged countless hours in 172's and I can straight on tell you that XPlane 172SP handles NOTHING, I MEAN NOTHING like the real thing.-I tried different calibrations etc etcXPlane would have potential if they made the UI better and actually tried tweaking their flight dynamics somewhat....The planes in there fly BIZARRELY.LOL.gif

Totally agree. More and more people are actually realizing why this sim has little to no potential. They need to fix these things in order to win over current FSX users.I would be MUCH more apt to switch if the experience actually was easy and enjoyable. The sim is WAY WAY to dull and lifeless.
Why do you feel the need to increase the font, bold it, italicize it, color it and underline it? Are you that hateful towards the competition that you feel you have to drive your point across that much?
To uninstall you delete the folder Silly.gif
I know how to get rid of it. HE said he uninstalled it. Not me. You can't uninstall X Plane. Rolling Eyes.gif I wanted to know how he actually "uninstalled" it seeing as it's impossible to do.
If you try some of the planes you realize that they all fly similarly with that "blade element theory" stuff that they claim is SO realistic....I've logged countless hours in 172's and I can straight on tell you that XPlane 172SP handles NOTHING, I MEAN NOTHING like the real thing.-I tried different calibrations etc etc
Neither does the FSX one.
XPlane would have potential if they made the UI better and actually tried tweaking their flight dynamics somewhat....The planes in there fly BIZARRELY.LOL.gif
Maybe because you haven't flown all of them in real life?