Sign in to follow this  
alainneedle1

X-plane 10 demo is out...

Guys, this is a BETA DEMO where you can send them a message about what you see as wrong with XP-10 so they can work on it....did you all do that before posting your finding here after trying the demo....naaaa probably not right?Give them a chance.I posted here because we are all simmers, have I not seen post about Prepar3D in Flight's forum....look to me like some of you are aiming at a mod. job...rolleyes.gif

Guys, this is a BETA DEMO where you can send them a message about what you see as wrong with XP-10 so they can work on it....did you all do that before posting your finding here after trying the demo....naaaa probably not right?Give them a chance.I posted here because we are all simmers, have I not seen post about Prepar3D in Flight's forum....look to me like some of you are aiming at a mod. job...rolleyes.gif
The game is set for release in a month, which means the dvd's have to start printing almost immediately.If you think there will be anything but perhaps some quick performance tweaks before the release you are more gullible then I thought.The major problems are with the base system's design, not things they will fix. I.E. the autogen system putting boxes of one story houses with no connecting roads to represent urban Seattle. They designed it that way with their plausible world random AI generator vs. real world land class. The ground textures being plain and low res because they didn't want to use anything but autogen to fill things out. The colors being washed out. The clouds morphing. The AI system being so bogged down and limited. These won't be fixed before any release or perhaps anytime soon after that. They won't even admit they are problems for the most part. You either like it or don't.

I was Just stating the fact on the irrelevance of the post "in here" - since you put it as "we are all simmers" I agree, some may disagree. Im not in the forum police and dont have any plans of joining either.!wink.png

spacer.png

MSI Codex 5 10SC-262UK Desktop PC - Intel Core i7-10700, RTX 2060 Graphics, 16GB RAM, 2TB HDD, 256GB SSD.

@777, no problems man, as long as everybody understand that we are all in the same boat....I mean plane everything is A-OK, we don't have tolike XP-10 but we can talk about it.@bronchie, I have no clue about what can be fixed and what can't in XP-10, I just know that it can only get better because of the patch they will release from time to time, I'm sure XP-10 won't be perfect (is there a sim who is?) but let's give them a chance to prove us wrong like we will do with Flight.

Wow. Um. So I tried the demo. I couldent even get the joystick set up within the 10 minute timer!!! By default, this thing does not come with joystick enabled. So I enable it, and there is NOTHING SET by default on any of the joystick keys. Even the axis are all messed up. Its not like I have a super complex stick. Just a Saitek Av8R, but no matter what I did, I could not get it to work. So I try and load up a few aircraft. What a task! The UI is basically a copy of File Explorer with everything changed and hidden. You need to brows folders to load an aircraft, and select an aircraft file to load it. Not very friendly at all. I could not fly yet because I took too long trying to set up my joystick and out of fustration I just closed it. Not worth my time if it takes me 15 minutes just to set up a standard fing joystick!!!!!!!!!!!I want to like it, I really do. I wouldent mind developing for it! But if they cant make it more accessable then forget it. Im not going to spend a day trolling forums and hashing out config files just to set up a friggen joystick.

Kevin Miller

3D Artist and developer

Wow. Um. So I tried the demo. I couldent even get the joystick set up within the 10 minute timer!!! By default, this thing does not come with joystick enabled. So I enable it, and there is NOTHING SET by default on any of the joystick keys. Even the axis are all messed up. Its not like I have a super complex stick. Just a Saitek Av8R, but no matter what I did, I could not get it to work.So I try and load up a few aircraft. What a task! The UI is basically a copy of File Explorer with everything changed and hidden. You need to brows folders to load an aircraft, and select an aircraft file to load it. Not very friendly at all.I could not fly yet because I took too long trying to set up my joystick and out of fustration I just closed it. Not worth my time if it takes me 15 minutes just to set up a standard fing joystick!!!!!!!!!!!I want to like it, I really do. I wouldent mind developing for it! But if they cant make it more accessable then forget it. Im not going to spend a day trolling forums and hashing out config files just to set up a friggen joystick.
I tried the demo. There are things about it that really impressed me, like the airport night lighting... something things made me chuckle... like the Dear on the runway at Boeing Field... I guess it could it happen.... but I agree on the UI. The program would be better with an overhauled User Interface: the current one seems dated and sterile.Also, I noticed the sloped runways at KSEA appeared a tad extreme... to the point where it would be like landing on the side of a hill... is there a slider to increase the mesh resolution and would that make the slope angles less steep, more rounded off?

You can see in this video, there is a big slope at the north end of KSEA in XP10. Its not there in real life. A burn was built up to keep the runway flat. You can see this clearly in Bing maps.

Kevin Miller

3D Artist and developer

IMO, this idea of sloping runways in flight simulators is well overrated. Maybe real world pilots appreciate it, but I prefer them to be flat (apart from a handful of exceptional ones, like Lukla).

Christopher Low

UK2000 Beta Tester

FSBetaTesters3.png

IMO, this idea of sloping runways in flight simulators is well overrated. Maybe real world pilots appreciate it, but I prefer them to be flat (apart from a handful of exceptional ones, like Lukla).
What do you mean overrated? These "sloped runway" guys are just looking for incremental steps in improvement to reality and immersion. .... no different than any other improvement. Sloped runways are certainly more credible of an improvement vs. shadows of a truck, or highway underpasses (just a few of the truly overrated requests).

You can see in this video, there is a big slope at the north end of KSEA in XP10. Its not there in real life. A burn was built up to keep the runway flat. You can see this clearly in Bing maps.
Hmmm, a "Runway Simulator." Notice the one drunk pilot who ran off the right edge of the runway before takeoff? How about the one who burned rubber after exiting the runway?Impressive, not. Massive yawn.Thanks for making the time-lapse video though! Nice job... im Not Worthy.gif

Fr. Bill    

AOPA Member: 07141481 AARP Member: 3209010556

Avsim Board of Directors | Avsim Forums Moderator

Been doing some test with the stupidly limited 10 minute demo. Was very unimpressed. When I installed it, I promised myself that I would actually give it a fair try, despite all my negativity towards it. But after several minutes, I could tell this wouldn't go well. It's still visually limited just like X-Plane 9. The UI appears still very unorganized and ugly. FPS weren't all that great. The "plausible world" is a lie...the houses look to generic. The shadowing system doesn't look good. (shadows don't even fall on houses that are generated by the aircraft.) Had to change settings. tongue.pngOverall, FSX and even FS9 can be made to look just as good. (FSX looks almost better by default) Even the aircraft in XP don't even seem to fly right...the Cessna 172 is as maneuverable as an F/A-18.The one thing that I did find cool was the cloud shadows that actually affect the lighting on the plane if you fly under them. But the clouds don't look all that great.Rant over. Big%20Grin.gif
Thank you for the info. Were the start up menus any better? X-plane 9 was rather crude to those who wanted to try it out, by over complicating everything.To 777, It's i7 2700, not i5 2700

I never used the full version of XP9, (only the demo) but from what I remember, XP10's menus seem identical. It really doesn't seem much different at all.

Brandon Filer

Wow. Um. So I tried the demo. I couldent even get the joystick set up within the 10 minute timer!!! By default, this thing does not come with joystick enabled. So I enable it, and there is NOTHING SET by default on any of the joystick keys. Even the axis are all messed up. Its not like I have a super complex stick. Just a Saitek Av8R, but no matter what I did, I could not get it to work.So I try and load up a few aircraft. What a task! The UI is basically a copy of File Explorer with everything changed and hidden. You need to brows folders to load an aircraft, and select an aircraft file to load it. Not very friendly at all.I could not fly yet because I took too long trying to set up my joystick and out of fustration I just closed it. Not worth my time if it takes me 15 minutes just to set up a standard fing joystick!!!!!!!!!!!I want to like it, I really do. I wouldent mind developing for it! But if they cant make it more accessable then forget it. Im not going to spend a day trolling forums and hashing out config files just to set up a friggen joystick.
People can make bad comments about FSX all they want, but at least it's easier to use. X-Plane 9 UI was too horrible to enjoy it's benefits.I know they'll be lots of people to say that X-Plane is much more realistic, but the way they do stuff, I don't really care.

People can make bad comments about FSX all they want, but at least it's easier to use. X-Plane 9 UI was too horrible to enjoy it's benefits.I know they'll be lots of people to say that X-Plane is much more realistic, but the way they do stuff, I don't really care.
Actually, you will find more (way more) that will say the MSFS is more realistic.

Actually, you will find more (way more) that will say the MSFS is more realistic.
Sadly I haven't seen many f them. I must be looking in the wrong place. LOL.gif But it's good to know.