Sign in to follow this  
M_Sauce

Procedures for Queenstown, NZ

Same problem though no co-ords published but waypoints are (differ from NZ AIP).
That would be useful so that I can name the waypoints accurately. They might not me in the exact position to the meter, but at least they will have the correct names. Precision of the waypoints is not critical because due to the fact that "radius to fix" sectors are not modeled (yet?). So I will need to move some waypoints around after testing so that the aircraft flies the required track. I will also have to add waypoints in some locations to get the track to show properly as well.But anyways, the closer the data is to real life, the better it will come out.To Other Jeff: Tried the calculator but it is not very useful. I used a fix depicted as "collocated" on the list (AURUM) but for which I already have the LAT/LON so that I could test the calculator. You have to take Mag-var into effect, which will mess with the bearing a bit. And I suspect the distance it needs is along track, where the numbers published on the list might be slant distance (ie, DME). Anyway, I couldn't get a close enough match. Not to mention that the tolerances for "colocated" fixes are potentially half a mile and up to half a degree (308 @ 16nm could actually be 308.49 degrees @ 16.49 nm) That is just too much variance.I do have one more trick I could try, but it is gonna take some time. I will try taking screen shots in the look down map mode of fsx of the whole queenstown area covered by the RNP missing WPs. Then I will use phot shop to overlay the state chart pictorial depiction over the screenshots of FSX to get as close a match as possible. I can then import that combo into ADE and use it as a backing photo for NZQN. Finally, I can use the pointer to move over the fixes and just write down the coordinates from ADE. A very convoluted way, I know, but I can't think of any other way besides just eyeballing it.

Argh! The ellipsoidal distance is the great circle, so I take your point re slant range. What I have been able to do is manually insert the waypoints (or the named ones). It does however seem a bit odd to be flying an RNP approach in circumstances where there is a distinct lack of P...

Jeff Hunter

What I have been able to do is manually insert the waypoints (or the named ones). It does however seem a bit odd to be flying an RNP approach in circumstances where there is a distinct lack of P...
I agree, with manual insertion you won't get the benefits of GS and tighter tolerances (or at least the simulated RNP)I've managed to code the RNP 5, still needs some tweaking, but it was really cool (I haven't coded the missed approach yet either, but I have found a way to extract the fixes for it). It flew it really well but I need to move some fixes slightly to provide better alignment and constant turn rate, as well as to provide a steady descent rate. With so many crossing heights the VNAV is working really hard and at full landing config it struggles to make changes in the descent angle so I need some vertical adjusting as well.Unfortunately, while the aircraft flies the track really well, the ND will not look like the RNP charts. The tracks are not smooth and continuous but the aircraft does fly the track just about perfectly. I can't wait to do one of these to minimums. Anyways, it is fully achievable so I hope to have something available soon for some beta testing. Once I've compiled all the approaches and departures I will upload it to AVSIM for everyone to use.

Anyways, it is fully achievable so I hope to have something available soon for some beta testing. Once I've compiled all the approaches and departures I will upload it to AVSIM for everyone to use.
Looking forward to that. Just did a RW5 approach and went manual from WALPC using the terrain display for the turn. The landing was a bit off mind - a real blast!

It's a great approach all right, pretty scary looking out the windows as a pax when your winding along the valley with the peaks well above on both sides. I scored a jump-seat ride into Queenstown in a 737 this year which was wicked, pretty cool view from the business end :)

Dean Stringer

I scored a jump-seat ride into Queenstown in a 737 this year which was wicked, pretty cool view from the business end :)
How did you manage that? :( Thought that was impossible since 9/11. I remember my dad getting me a view of the cockpit on the old BOAC Trident when I was a young boy but these days I'm too scared to even ask to be honest.

Am I right in seeing a circle to land on the RNAV RNP RW5 procedure? These charts look awesome? How far is the progress now with reproducing these for FSX?

Gavin Price

Am I right in seeing a circle to land on the RNAV RNP RW5 procedure? These charts look awesome? How far is the progress now with reproducing these for FSX?
I am waiting on some resources that will make the procedures more accurate and much more realistic. The State charts are missing a lot of data. It is enough to make something which will get you down safely, but I would really like to make it as accurate as possible.Right now I am actually still tweaking the RNP 05 approach. I am also plotting and tweaking the Bowen 2 RNP departure as well as the Cardrona and Jardine RNP departures. Some things I am learning as I go along and are a bit slow, especially since I am trying to get it as accurately and precise as possible. All waypoints now need to be LAT/LONGed, so that takes a while. Once the testing of what works and what doesn't is complete, then the other procedures should be quicker to plot.Hoping to have these done by next month, pending the resources I need.

Yeah I had a go at mapping these out today. I got the RNAV approach into RNW 5 done pretty much but done but it's hard to map the arcs without putting in false waypoints. It's a pretty awesome approach especially the circle just before touch down.

Gavin Price

Here are some shots of the testing I did today. Still tweaking the final capture, might have to settle for LNAV / VNAV only. The FAC / GP modes do not like capturing final so close in. Will test some more to see if I can get IAN working.Inbound over Frankton arm:Beginning circle with cumulo-granite to the left:Looking back towards the field during the circle:Rolling into final to runway 05 between the hills:Same spot from the outside:One more fix to go before final alignment:HUD view rolling onto final:On the brakes:Belly shot on a dusk circle (I love this FTX scenery, it really adds to the experience. Can't wait till they release NZQN airport as an add-on to NZ South Island):

Guest 747-fan

Probably my favourite spot in NZ, Queenstown.This has been posted again and again, but it still is a great video, a short 3 part documentary about a 737-200 ANZ flight NZCH-NZQN (skip to part 3 for the approach only):Part 1:

Part 2:
Part 3:

I forgot about those Vids, Those "Hush" kitted Pratt & Whitneys bring back memories. Thanks for posting.

System: MSFS2020-Premium Deluxe, ASUS Maximus XI Hero,  Intel i7-8086K o/c to 5.0GHz, Corsair AIO H115i Pro, Lian Li PC-O11D XL,MSI RTX 3080 SUPRIM 12Gb, Samsung 970 EVO M.2 SSD, 1Tb Samsung 860 EVO SSD, 32Gb Corsair Vengeance DDR4 3200Mhz RAM, Corsair R1000X Gold PSU,Win 11 ,LG 43UD79 43" 4K IPS Panel., Airbus TCA Full Kit, Stream Deck XL.

Any word on the ZQN nav data?Ash Frew.
Yeah, progress is being made. Have of the procedures have been coded, and they are being beta tested right now. When I get back from vacation I will code the rest, which should go quicker now that I have the method down. When finished, I will post on here a link and you will be able to download them from AVSIM.