Sign in to follow this  
PIC007

Southwest blows tires on takeoff...

Wow, kudos to SW for a good save. One of the pax says that they heard a loud pop and then the pilot put the nose back down on the runway. Guess they aborted after V1.Good job SW. Still the only major airline to never have a fatality.American Airlines probably won't be the last major network carrier to declare bankruptsy, that is, as long as Southwest and Jetblue keeps taking the marketshare from the other carriers. JB

The whole V1 thing is overrated :)
Personally, I think they made the right decision. PIC can do what he/she feels is the right decision. They have the final word. They just need to explain afterwards. Lots of company procedural changes are made after evaluating incidents like these. Who knows, maybe his decision was with company procedure.JB

Absolutely the right decision...everyone got home safely. Some airports after V1 I could take off and land twice before running out of runway. 'Runway behind me'...isn't that one of the four or five most useless things in aviation? :)Happy HO HO.

"'Runway behind me'...isn't that one of the four or five most useless things in aviation? :)"Runway behind you, altitude above you, and the fuel you didnt put in the tank :-)

Jay

I am sorry to all those who may be offended,but I HATE American news channels. Everything is like the armageddon and its the end of the world.Everything in that report was blown so out of proportion that it would be a comedy sketch here in UK/Europe.really gets to me

Alex Ridge

Join Fswakevortex here! YOUTUBE and FACEBOOK

I am sorry to all those who may be offended,but I HATE American news channels. Everything is like the armageddon and its the end of the world.Everything in that report was blown so out of proportion that it would be a comedy sketch here in UK/Europe.really gets to me
Aircraft problems are always news, and they come in "3's".... the other 2 today were a United CRJ that lost an engine in Burlington VT and a private jet that had a problem and went through a fence in Ft Lauderdale.......I dont see anything "blown out of proportion" in that report.

Jay

+1thx Ian

Ian C. McCulloch

'What would one do without Malt Whisky? Slainte Mhath'

It only can get better

must have been a slow news day. Hardly news worthy imho. Nothing thats not happend 300 times before with no real fuss.

Too funny....How else do you think our privately owned News orginazations are gonna increase their ratings?Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't the BBC still government funded? If so, no real need to scare the people into watching the tube..JB

Just remember, almost all newscasters have absolutely NO idea about how a commercial jet works. This in turn, makes them think that this is 'an un-practiced, unusual event'. No doubt unusual, but certainly not a new thing to pilots.All for a story,

Wow, kudos to SW for a good save. One of the pax says that they heard a loud pop and then the pilot put the nose back down on the runway. Guess they aborted after V1.Good job SW. Still the only major airline to never have a fatality.American Airlines probably won't be the last major network carrier to declare bankruptsy, that is, as long as Southwest and Jetblue keeps taking the marketshare from the other carriers.JB
I guess the young boy killed when the Southwest aircraft overshot the runway at Midway doesn't count?

NAX669.png