Sign in to follow this  
Mike T

Pull the Plug on the FLIGHT Forum.

Yeah, probably Flight will allow you to adjust settings beetween something simulator like and arcade. Still the remaining question for me to see is how big area Flight will cover with addons.
They have already stated that the quality and kind of addons they'll bring will be determined by people's feedback. So, I think the quality of the addons will be determined by the support that MS Flight can have from us.The day of release we should all go to the FLIGHT forums and post our feedback asking for more realistic planes and maps and show MS we all are there supporting it and willing to pay for those addons. Then they'll make a great realistic product otherwise MS Flight will fail.

Falcon, IL2, DCS series, Flaming Cliffs, Silent Hunter, Rise of Flight, X-Plane, FS series. In ALL of them users have the chance to tweak the realism settings and play/fly it in a "realistic" or arcade way.
Pretty much false. While the user can tune certain settings to make them a little easier to fly, they can never be dumbed down to the point where, for example, you can successfully pilot an aircraft using nothing but a computer mouse.

Why don't you just come out and say what you mean instead hiding behind obfuscation? Taken in the context of your entire message, that comes across as some backhanded jab at me and AVSIM. If you want to accuse us of some nefarious dealings, then do so. Otherwise, put your pen back in your pocket.
No, not nefarious. Let's just say that Microsoft knows the value of putting on a glitzy press junket. Give folks the royal treatment and they'll be less likely to say anything negative. It's one of the oldest PR tricks in the book.

Pretty much false. While the user can tune certain settings to make them a little easier to fly, they can never be dumbed down to the point where, for example, you can successfully pilot an aircraft using nothing but a computer mouse.

Edited by Arwen

~ Arwen ~

Home Airfield: KHIE

Actually it can be. FSX allows mouse control. DCS series are hardcore simulation in terms of flight systems and procedures and they allow you to fly the airplanes with a gamepad and lockon on and shoot with just one button when playing in arcade settings.Silent Hunter can be played as an arcade with automatic fire solution while in the highest realism settings you can even use real procedures to solve a fire solution.Falcon can be played with just a few keys and icons like an arcade and in the highest realism settings you have to use hotas and flight procedures to even lock on a plane with the radar.ANYTHING that is software has a gameplay component unless you fly a PMDG addon and even there you can set everything to just fly the plane with a nice pink mouse, a gamepad or even a wii remote gamepad. :biggrin:EDIT: the post above mine speaks for itself.... Edited by jtmedina

Once a plane is on its approach path and properly trimmed then it will practically land itself, so that doesn't really count as a "mouse controlled landing". Sorry. And I'm talking about the entire flight, from taxiing to take-off to cruise to landing to taxiiing to parking. You might be able to control some aspects with just the mouse, but not the entire procedure. Flight, on the other hand, has been simplified to the point where this kind of thing is possible. This has been explicitly stated in official press releases, so there's no use denying it.

FSX allows mouse control.
It allows it, yes, as does X-Plane, but with significant disadvantages compared to traditional controllers like joysticks and yokes.

No, not nefarious. Let's just say that Microsoft knows the value of putting on a glitzy press junket. Give folks the royal treatment and they'll be less likely to say anything negative. It's one of the oldest PR tricks in the book.
Well, you don't think much of my integrity, do you? I read the same in another of your posts. You don't know me and you have no clue as to the historical and current relationship that I and AVSIM have with MS. Never-the-less, cast aspersions on my integrity again, and you won't be posting them here again.

Once a plane is on its approach path and properly trimmed then it will practically land itself, so that doesn't really count as a "mouse controlled landing". Sorry. And I'm talking about the entire flight, from taxiing to take-off to cruise to landing to taxiiing to parking. You might be able to control some aspects with just the mouse, but not the entire procedure. Flight, on the other hand, has been simplified to the point where this kind of thing is possible. This has been explicitly stated in official press releases, so there's no use denying it.It allows it, yes, as does X-Plane, but with significant disadvantages compared to traditional controllers like joysticks and yokes.
I bet you MS Flight will have identical realism settings. In fact in some aspects of the FM it will be even better when played at the highest realism settings compared to FSX stock planes.As for the mouse control, I have flown FSX with a gamepad with highest realism settings on and using clickable cockpit and flight procedures and took off and landed dozens of times successfully. And yes I love hardcore simulation but it doesn't matter the input if you are good at flying the plane. Edited by jtmedina

I think the mouse is being discriminated against. If the landing is :( monkeyed :( a lot of virtual passengers can loose their lives. That was a fine landing. I say the entire flight profile can be flown via mouse. I am off topic as usual.

It allows it, yes, as does X-Plane, but with significant disadvantages compared to traditional controllers like joysticks and yokes.
Yet you're assuming that there are no "significant disadvantages" in controlling Flight with a mouse, when you have nothing to base this on.Have you tried controlling Flight with a mouse? Have your tried using joystick/throttle/pedals with Flight?Why do you so desperately need to tear down Flight? Edited by Arwen

~ Arwen ~

Home Airfield: KHIE

Tom,When I saw your initial posts here at AVSIM around the beginning of the year, I know you were mad/upset. It's easy to go back and see what was said (clicking on your name and posts). I, like everyone else, was waiting for more words after the CES show, but you kept pointing us to your blog posting of 4 Jan 12. I was expecting a response, based off of what you said, to a post CES blog.Are you going to write more based off what you said (after CES show posting), or are we only going to get the 4 JAN 12 posting?In my opinion, Microsoft has been dodging every single important question regarding the release of "Flight". Good friends of mine were at CES and they are incredibly disapponted with Microsoft's answers to the simulation aspect of this outing. They are dodging every HARD question. It's absolutely tell-tale to their true intent.So, what is AVSIM's stance and when can we expect an OFFICIAL response?- Blake

Edited by NWarty

Blake

Blake, I wouldn't expect a reply from "AVSIM official" anytime soon.Speaking for myself only....you know the saying right?? If you cant say anything good...

John Binner, MCDST
U.S. Dept Of Veteran Affairs, Senior IT Analyst

OI&T, SPM, Clinical Imaging

2022 Build: Thermaltake Core X71 Full tower case, ASUS Prime X570-P Motherboard, AMD Ryzen 7 5800X 8-Core CPU, ASUS TUF Gaming Radeon RX6900 XT GPU, G.SKILL Ripjaws 32GB DDR 3600 RAM, Thermaltake Toughpower GF1 850W 80+ Gold PSU, Cooler Master MasterLiquid ML240L Water Cooler

When I saw your initial posts here at AVSIM around the beginning of the year, I know you were mad/upset.Are you going to write more based off what you said (after CES show posting), or are we only going to get the 4 JAN 12 posting?
Blake, I am angry. But it has nothing to do with the mechanics, accuracy, real life performance etc. of FLIGHT... I have pretty much said that in my posts over the last week or two.What I was angry about then and still am, is the treatment of this community and the lack of recognition or concern for the stalwart support that it has given to MSFS for many years. My singular message, if I have had one, is to be patient, and let's see how this turns out. Is that doing "damage control" for MS, as I have been accused of?I think MS has made a short sighted mistake driven by marketing / business development folks that mistakenly see FLIGHT as the next Battle Field 3 or something close to it. I see 3PD's migrating elsewhere. I give the MS team two years at most, to re-engage with the 3PD's. After that, MS will be seeing some very talented people in our community migrating elsewhere.

Blake, I am angry. But it has nothing to do with the mechanics, accuracy, real life performance etc. of FLIGHT... I have pretty much said that in my posts over the last week or two.What I was angry about then and still am, is the treatment of this community and the lack of recognition or concern for the stalwart support that it has given to MSFS for many years. My singular message, if I have had one, is to be patient, and let's see how this turns out. Is that doing "damage control" for MS, as I have been accused of?I think MS has made a short sighted mistake driven by marketing / business development folks that mistakenly see FLIGHT as the next Battle Field 3 or something close to it. I see 3PD's migrating elsewhere. I give the MS team two years at most, to re-engage with the 3PD's. After that, MS will be seeing some very talented people in our community migrating elsewhere.
Tom,That is what I wanted and I feel that in your post, just now, was one of the most passionate I've seen from you. It wasn't what Flight "is", but what everything that Flight has been behind the scenes. That's what I wanted to see, given that you and your staff have built this community to what it is today. I know you've been holding back, believe me, I get it.I feel for so many out there that have been affected. When I heard my good buddy's repsonse to my questions at CES, I was heart broken. This is just one hobby of mine and I know that the people who love it, will pick up the slack.Many thanks for your response.- Blake Edited by NWarty

Blake

I know you've been holding back, believe me, I get it.
I guess I need to be less subtle.

Sign in to follow this  
  • Tom Allensworth,
    Founder of AVSIM Online

• Flight Simulation's Premier Resource!

AVSIM is a free service to the flight simulation community. AVSIM is staffed completely by volunteers and all funds donated to AVSIM go directly back to supporting the community. Your donation here helps to pay our bandwidth costs, emergency funding, and other general costs that crop up from time to time. Thank you for your support!

Click here for more information and to see all donations year to date.