Sign in to follow this  
Mike T

Pull the Plug on the FLIGHT Forum.

Lets see how good they've made it, and take it from there!
From what some beta testers reports, it's crap

Guest jahman
I'm with the Glass Half-Full crowd
For the glass half full thingy the glass has to be at the 50% mark. Flight is more like at the 1% mark of what we traditional simmers want. Maybe in the future Flight will add the features we want, but right now it's at the 1% mark, and there's no way you can put "1%" and "full" in the same sentence.Cheers,- jahman.

MS might be willing to pay Tom to remove this forum (along with all the damaging posts).
Well, one thing I certainly agree with is that the posts in this forum are damaging to Flight (at least my perception of it as an open-minded person), let alone the posts made in the last 24 hours, including a deleted thread started by a beta tester who tried to get yet another mile out of denegrating the product whilst violating their NDA.That said, given that there has barely been anything about the product that has come as a surprise to me, perhaps I should have anticipated the negativity. On the other hand, I am quite annoyed that people here seem to tar all AVSIM members with the same brush. I'm not a hardcore flight simmer and I have many interests outside aviation and flight simming that consume my time. I don't have the time nor inclination to go hardcore and apart from a very few third party payware add-ons (two aircraft and a couple of scenery areas) and a weather utlity I wrote, my FSX installation has remained stock for 5 years.I don't really see anything about Flight that suggests to me that the experience for a non-hardcore gamer / simmer will be anything else than it has been on previous versions and most likely a lot more, since there is now the prospect of a leaner and more refined game engine and the prospect of a higher quality of scenery than has been available in older versions, without getting into the ultra-detailed level of sceneries offered by existing third parties (and I don't want those either, I want midle-of-the-road stuff).When I signed up as a member here, I was not aware that being hardcore was a pre-requisite. I guess I have been lucky to hide away in a corner for a month and not get caught out! I certainly feel like the odd-person out now though.Although I am going to enjoy the Flight product and it will likely supercede FSX for me unless there is a serious technical issue with it, I do have to agree that I think this forum should be closed. It's doing nothing positive for the game and it is dragging still-enthusiastic people such as myself down with it. Afterall, I don't really want to keep coming to a forum which keeps ditching on a game that may well end up a favourite of mine. That would just be silly.Perhaps the real concern that has arisen for me over the last day is where people such as myself can converse in a like-minded way with other people enthusiastic about Flight. It certainly isn't here and I doubt on the existing forums on the net will be much different. Maybe it will be like Need for Speed Shift 2 - I just enjoy it in private now because I got sick of the bagging!
On a different note, I wonder if the employees working on Flight realized that this would create a huge backlash from the established flight simulator community.
Tom has stated in another thread that MS knew what to expect. Therefore, nothing ought to have come as a surprise to them. That said, I sort of wonder why the three big sites were invited if they knew ahead of time what the reaction would be.

For the glass half full thingy the glass has to be at the 50% mark. Flight is more like at the 1% mark of what we traditional simmers want. Maybe in the future Flight will add the features we want, but right now it's at the 1% mark, and there's no way you can put "1%" and "full" in the same sentence.Cheers,- jahman.
I recall taking my first flight in the FSX demo - over St Maarten...That was quite an unpleasant change from my FS9 world.And yet, FSX is pretty darn impressive, 5 years later!Lets give it time! If Flight is any good, it will stay on my harddrive, if not,it will go the same way as XP10..

Bert

You know. I'm thinking, this is a website for enthusiasts who have dedicated thousands of hours to this hobby and to each other. No, we don't always get along, but that's because each of us is passionate in our own way, and that is because we LOVE our hobby. We have the full gamut of skill levels here, from those who are experiencing a flight simulator for the first time and have never been in a real airplane, to 25,000 hour 747 and 777 captains. Over the last 25 years, there have been literally thousands of video games released from PAC MAN to Battlefield 3, and this community of simulator fans remain loyal to this nerdy, niche hobby. At places like Avsim we swap flight stories, spin tall tales, give help to those who want to be a part of those with their eyes turned toward the sky. We marvel at the level of flight simulation power that we spend our hard earned money to replicate. We marvel at the complex work of art that is the PMDG 737NG or the LDS 767. We lose ourselves in the complexity of airports by FSDream Team and Fly Tampa. We tweak, and tweak, so to get that perfect flight where the sun meets us in the morning sky as we begin our descent into London Heathrow after a flight from JFK the night before. And we are all addicted to that rush of satisfaction when we plant our Cessna 172 or Boeing 777, center line, in a way that would make any flight instructor or check airman proud. This is who we are. This is what we do.The motto of Avsim is: "Where Flight Simulation Enthusiasts Gather from Around the World!" Well I say, don't dignify FLIGHT by giving it its own forum here at Avsim. Obviously WE are not the type of people that Microsoft is interested in. In my opinion not another second should be wasted giving Flight the slightest consideration. Let's get back to supporting companies that want to support this community. Let's get back to figuring out how we can keep this community growing and attracting talent to spend their time making our world more realistic for both the new and pro simmer alike. I'd be damned if I spend one cent on FLIGHT when that money would be better served as a donation to Avsim or helping to support a 3rd party developer to keep them in the community.As far as I know, we don't have a Battle Field 3 Forum. We don't have an XBOX Forum. We don't have a World of Warcraft Forum. I submit we don't need a FLIGHT forum either. Let the gaming sites take over Flight chat so the 12 year old gamers can decide on what's the best way to get all the bonus coins floating over Waikiki Beach. Dare I say the word? BOYCOTT? Yep, I dared. BOYCOTT FLIGHT!
I can't refrain myself from asking to pin this thread and vote it as the thread of years, sadly I have to say.Mike T, we can start a boycott action, I am with you and I am available to to organize whatever action needed.Rarely I feel touched by a post but this is one of those times.I am with you, we can think where to start from, all together

Even if the glass is half-full I think the glass doesn't have very tasty drink in it. I'm leaving the glass on the table for the buxom barmaid (or was that flight attendant) to pick up the half-full glass and I'm going back to my old favourite drinks (FSX, FS9) as well as trying out some new ones - Prepar3D and XP10.I also agree with the OP to pull this forum or if it must stay relegate it to a sub-forum "Flying Games".

Yep - Kill it off - after the announcement - Flight is of NO interest to me whatsoeverI will stick with FSX and all the wonderful enhancements availableGoodbye Flight

Blimey, what's with the irate attitudes? Seriously guys no one is forcing you to install Flight, let alone pay for add ons once you get sick of Hawaii. I say leave the forum open, would be a shame to do otherwise as I'd be willing to bet there are plenty of avsim members who probably will be happy living in both worlds (you won't be hearing from them though because of all the agro) why not let them communicate and share experiences here at avsim, at least it'll be a relatively neutral location and not subject to MS influence.

Dean Stringer

Blimey, what's with the irate attitudes? Seriously guys no one is forcing you to install Flight, let alone pay for add ons once you get sick of Hawaii. I say leave the forum open, would be a shame to do otherwise as I'd be willing to bet there are plenty of avsim members who probably will be happy living in both worlds (you won't be hearing from them though because of all the agro) why not let them communicate and share experiences here at avsim, at least it'll be a relatively neutral location and not subject to MS influence.
+1
Mike T, we can start a boycott action, I am with you and I am available to to organize whatever action needed.I am with you, we can think where to start from, all together
First of all: if you want to start a boycott, why not start today and leave this Flight-forum? blum.gif I noticed thatr Mike T, after saying he would boycott Flight, still posted on the Flight forum. Make your choice, men, and boycott totally or not at all, I'd say. ^_^And er... 'we can think where to start from. all together"... er... "organize whatever action needed"...? We are talking about a flying game here. This is not about racial segregation or something else important...! Those rather dramatic sentence makes it sound as if a boycott can lead to something positive...? I don't really get this. What do you want to start to get where...? "All together...?" +1 to Dean's post once more...
Yep - Kill it off - after the announcement - Flight is of NO interest to me whatsoeverI will stick with FSX and all the wonderful enhancements availableGoodbye Flight
Maybe, just maybe, someone else still might be interested in Flight... So you want Avsim to kill the forum because YOU don't like Flight?Well, goodbye and fun with FSX then! Just like me btw: MS won't force me to uninstall FSX and to not use the PMDG 737NGX whenever I get tired of flying low and slow around Hawaii... So... what's the problem? There IS no problem! :( I'll be seeing you on the FSX forum which I will be coming to for quite some time, even if I DO install Flight! :( Edited by J van E

And er... 'we can think where to start from. all together"... er... "organize whatever action needed"...? We are talking about a flying game here. This is not about racial segregation or something else important...! Those rather dramatic sentence makes it sound as if a boycott can lead to something positive...? I don't really get this. What do you want to start to get where...? "All together...?" +1 to Dean's post once more...
If you like Flight good for you.I am deeply upset against those console kids in MS and a boycott action will please me a lot and I couldn't care less if some MS fans are against.

If we don't try to bring FLIGHT customers into our little corner of the hobby via sites like AVSIM, we will have lost in the longer term.
+1000Too true Tom, for those of us who have been in the hobby for quite a while, desktop flight simulation has taken many guises... The whole concept of "hardcore" is at the same time both elitist and somewhat childish...We have no concept to this day how complex this Flight environment can or has the potential to become, all we know is that there will be a very basic framework that will enable a whole new group of "simmers" to enter our world and then progress perhaps to FsX, P3D or perhaps XPX...It's a tad early to be laying on the histrionics this thick...

I also was skeptical about all the doomsayingBut don't fool yourself Bert. The minute it was confirmed that there's no place in Flight for 3rd party developers it was all over
If thats really true..............Flight is just for the kids.Without 3rd party developers Flight is dead for real simming , I am afraid.BUT how sure are we about this?

forumlogopaintmod.png

"Non licet omnibus volare cum aquilis" (Azzurro)

Visit Flybike-Paints

Me too Bert... +1

Thanks Dean, a bit of calm amongst all the noise, how refreshing...Tom, please leave this forum open for those of us who would like to discuss this sim in a sensible and adult manner...

If you like Flight good for you.I am deeply upset against those console kids in MS and a boycott action will please me a lot and I couldn't care less if some MS fans are against.
Again I wonder... what do you think about when you talk about a boycott action...? Do you call simply not downloading the free game a boycott action? I don't get the boycott action... Please explain what you are thinking about when you talk about a boycott... I am just curious! :( Edited by J van E

Sign in to follow this  
  • Tom Allensworth,
    Founder of AVSIM Online

• Flight Simulation's Premier Resource!

AVSIM is a free service to the flight simulation community. AVSIM is staffed completely by volunteers and all funds donated to AVSIM go directly back to supporting the community. Your donation here helps to pay our bandwidth costs, emergency funding, and other general costs that crop up from time to time. Thank you for your support!

Click here for more information and to see all donations year to date.