Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

bakaman

FSX + NGX : Some Performances "Tip-Tips" . A new FSX experience

Hi Fellas,Today my FSX experience was taken to another level by doing some tweaks. So what came up to my mind after 2hrs flight from Quito to Aruba was: "you cannot keep these tweaks to yourself"! So thats why i decided to post here. I'm 100% sure that there will be a couple of posts from people thinkin that they are always right, and/or know everything about this FS thing: I won't just answer to that. If you love the NGX just like i do and you think that your system needs a little more tweaking then you are in the right place.Alright, initially my system was clocked at 4.6GHZ but i used to notice some annoying stutters. I defrag'ed several times but it did not help. I've tried tons of things i read about on this forum but nothing helped until a guy named Turbine777 quoted one of my post saying that i should try the NVIDIA inspector or whatever.... So this morning when i woke up i started the beast and did 2 things:1- My rig is now set to 4,9Ghz (with respect to vcore limits and CPU temps )2- I changed some options in my NVIDIA control Panel: Pictures are attached, check 'em out.The result is AMAZING !!!!!!! See, i'm a simmer since the Sierra Pro pilot simulator: I've never had such a fantastic experience of Flight simulation. I get some crazy FPS. For example:- No less than 55 fps when in cruise (in busy areas such as Paris) with a maximum of mega_shok.gif and an average of 65 to 70 fps. I just completed a flight from Quito to Aruba (Both are some payware sceneries: actually i have so much sceneries now that i never fly to default airports, except Dakar )and my fps didn't drop below 45 fps at those airports. In conclusion my performances have increase about 7 to 10%.-STUTTERS JUST VANISHED !!!!! You can not imagine how much i'm happy!The only thing is that these settings are for people using Nvidia cards. Sorry for ATI owners!I'm enjoying this sim so much that after landing at TNCA i launched another flight to KMIA from latin vfr. (a FPS killer from my experience). Right now I'm cruising on IVAO under Copa Airlines colors . I'll let you know what are my FPS at destination.I'll also put together a video to share with you. Thats something i've been wanting to do for a long time, but I'm so lazy.....( you guys have no idea).Also My simple recommendation are:FSX in windowed mode allowing to travel EASYLY between FSX, TOPCAT, EFB AIVLASOFT, FSBUILD AND IVAP(Personally i run all these programs simultaneously). That way if ivap crashes your sim is still up and running. One last thing is sync off when tweaking your cfg file at Bojote website (if not it'll reduce your fps for nothing at least in the configuration I'm talking about).I guess thats pretty much it, and i also would like to add that you guys can feel free to contact me if you want to have some infos about any FSX payware, because i have 'em all (or almost all): I'd be glad to share with you performances matters at any airports or discuss about whatever you want.Really hope this will help you !Happy new year and enjoy the NGX !

That would be Dan, as always, a great font of knowledge and ever so helpful. I reckon he carries the mantle of the late great Opa Marshall. Nice one, Dan

Wow 32x AA.. That would bring my system to a hault. I guess I should of went for the i5 instead and picked up the 580 gtx.

Wow 32x AA.. That would bring my system to a hault. I guess I should of went for the i5 instead and picked up the 580 gtx.
i guess you can try something lower ! i just maxed out mine to see what happen. Since I'm doin fine....its all good.Anyway, i just landed at KMIA international airport and my FPS were jumping from 28 to 34 fps.

You think this will work with 560Ti ? I am currently using the settings pinned at the top of these forums.

I tried them just now and my FPS were the same as before locked at 30.. but the autogen was shimmering and i was having some texture flashes.. I use nvidia Inspect though.

You think this will work with 560Ti ? I am currently using the settings pinned at the top of these forums.
you are talking about the pics on this topic right? Of course you can try . and i think you can get good results as long as you have a top notch cpu, since fsx is directly linked to your cpu capabilities. I remember the emails exchanged with Ryan when i was choosing my GPU: he advised 560TI, 570 and 580: he also mentioned that there was no (noticeable) difference between these GPU in FSX. SO YES. lol

I tried them just now and my FPS were the same as before locked at 30.. but the autogen was shimmering and i was having some texture flashes.. I use nvidia Inspect though.
I dont personaly. But did you try the bojote tweaks with my recom and running fs in windowed mode sync off?PS: fps unlimited in fsx

I tried the settings above on my system and only got a 2 FPS loss....8 FPS to 6 FPS in FlyTampa KBOS at Dusk sitting in the 744X....Maybe a lower AA setting? And yes, I'm fully aware of what a piece of crap my system is, but one can dream... :(

I can't visually tell the difference between 8x and 32x.. granted I'm only on a 19" monitor right now, so maybe that has somthing to do with it.

I tried the settings above on my system and only got a 2 FPS loss....8 FPS to 6 FPS in FlyTampa KBOS at Dusk sitting in the 744X....Maybe a lower AA setting?
see my spec in my signature, they are very different from yours.....furthermore i really don't understand how you get single digit fps in fsx. Iwas running fsx on an iMac 27 2,8ghz and never get something lower than 15fps. Let me add that my density and autogen are set to normal and water settings to low 2x or something like that

Sorry, I got to burst your bubble, a bit.This does make FSX perform generally good, but with the sacrifice of the picture quality.This is your setting (around 31fps in this shot):This is my setting (around 29fps in this shot):Now, the difference is I run 8xS + 2x SGSS (Sparse Grid Supersampling) - a full scene supersampling, something other modes don't achieve - thus giving better performance.Also with your setting there are way too many jaggies on the external model for my taste.SGSS is known to kill the performance, just try 4x SGSS with clouds. GTX580 is virtually eating through 2x, but 4x is killing it.EDIT: Please note that JPG compression makes these shots even worse. Especially 2nd one, which is way cleaner uncompressed.

running in windowed mode for me decreases my fps by at least 5not a very good solution for me
oops sorry for you. very weird because for me it is just the opposite. windowed mode allows multitasking and is a way for me to avoid ctd. Whereas full screen mode forces me to alt+enter all the time resulting in ctd, graphical pbs. FSX HATES ALT+ENTER.

FSX HATES ALT+ENTER.
Mine doesn't. I've never had a crash during alt+enter.

see my spec in my signature, they are very different from yours.....furthermore i really don't understand how you get single digit fps in fsx. Iwas running fsx on an iMac 27 2,8ghz and never get something lower than 15fps. Let me add that my density and autogen are set to normal and water settings to low 2x or something like that
Yeah, I'm at the (really) bad end of the hardware world, and really did this just to see what ridiculously low number I could get. Even if FSX looks silk smooth, its still around 12 FPS, 8 is only happening because I'm at BOS, which I will be leaving shortly for LFPG.

Mine doesn't. I've never had a crash during alt+enter.
you're a very lucky ! anyway these settings work extremely well on my rig and the windowed mode does help a lot without reducing the image quality so don't feel concerned about that issue sorry.
Yeah, I'm at the (really) bad end of the hardware world, and really did this just to see what ridiculously low number I could get. Even if FSX looks silk smooth, its still around 12 FPS, 8 is only happening because I'm at BOS, which I will be leaving shortly for LFPG.
nice flight !

bakaman, I feel you are misleading people a little bit: the mode provides, in FSX, very little quality for quite a lot of performance drop. I think it simply overdoes where it shouldn't. But that's me and my experience.

bakaman, I feel you are misleading people a little bit: the mode provides, in FSX, very little quality for quite a lot of performance drop. I think it simply overdoes where it shouldn't. But that's me and my experience.
sorry for those experiencing fps drops..... my experience is different and allows me to reach good fps. i don't think "misleading" is appropriate. I've just posted my settings if you are not happy with them just roll back to what you got before. there is nothing else i can say. we all have different settings. I see you are at 5ghz right? i have always been below that but "it seems" that i getter better results. its all about tweaking i guess. If you want to test exactly the settings i have , PM me and we'll try.

I have i7 930 OC ot 3.02 with 6gb ram, with GTX 470 oc 20%, used you setting with nivida control panel, what did you set your FSX filtering and anti aliasing to????

Really I think the 4.9 Ghz overclock in this case has much more to do with the performance improvement than the NVidia settings..

I have a similar system to the OP:2600K at 4.7Gigabyte Z68A16GB 1600Mgz RAMGTX 580 ('Super' Overclocked)Coolermaster V8On my modest 22" screen I see a very nice increase in visual quality, but I also see a frame drop of around 5-10 when on the ground. I am yet to run a few flights to see how this performs over the whole flight but at the moment it seems to work well.I will note however that frames are much more stable - I see 36-45 in thunderstorms, on the ground, in the VC at defaul JFK (my test airports for tweaks are JFK, LHR and LAX - frames at these airports make my final decision on tweaks haha). Before this it was a little higher, but more jumpy. Nice work bakaman!

Oh man, I just stopped doing this a while back. Thanks and all but everyones system is so different you are allways going to get different results. Windowed mode or no, phasers set to stun, hyperwarp plasma detection set to OU812, its never ending. I think we all need to find out own path. Your Nvidia Inspector is very different than Nicks and his made a world of difference. Not to say yours is not better, it very well may be. It's just that I for one am tired and weary and just want to fly the damn thing.Chasin the dragon of the ultamit FSX. Just buy a fast machine and barge through it with sheer brute force!None of the comments here are necesarily the opinions of any of my sponsors or affiliates.

sorry for those experiencing fps drops..... my experience is different and allows me to reach good fps. i don't think "misleading" is appropriate. I've just posted my settings if you are not happy with them just roll back to what you got before. there is nothing else i can say. we all have different settings. I see you are at 5ghz right? i have always been below that but "it seems" that i getter better results. its all about tweaking i guess. If you want to test exactly the settings i have , PM me and we'll try.
Quite, one can always revert back. But did you take the compare shots of the dropping quality between the shots? That can't be omitted... the line smoothness on the displays is major, and the readibility on the engine N1 is impossible.

Oh man, I just stopped doing this a while back. Thanks and all but everyones system is so different you are allways going to get different results. Windowed mode or no, phasers set to stun, hyperwarp plasma detection set to OU812, its never ending. I think we all need to find out own path. Your Nvidia Inspector is very different than Nicks and his made a world of difference. Not to say yours is not better, it very well may be. It's just that I for one am tired and weary and just want to fly the damn thing.Chasin the dragon of the ultamit FSX. Just buy a fast machine and barge through it with sheer brute force!None of the comments here are necesarily the opinions of any of my sponsors or affiliates.
Lol, well said! I've wasted far too much of my life messing around with FSX settings in the past!I think a post of this ilk should be served with lashings of "YMMV".