Sign in to follow this  
armchairpil0t

What improvements does Flight have over FSX?

I thought I'ld chime in now that there are lots of opinions I can attack!... Just kidding! LOL!FPS... please don't try and compare FSX and Flight in this regard. In FSX, if you turn "everything" off to match Flight (i.e. no AI (cars, boats, planes)... no airport vehicles (moving or static) you see a similar FPS rate. And don't forget that FSX does not use your GPU effectively... nor does it "effectively" take advantage of multiple CPU cores. Flight is supposed to... if it does... why do I still get...Autogen Popups... I still see them, even with my machine specs (check my sig)and why do I still get...Stutters... if I go to "highest" settings, I get them occassionally.Toe Brakes... why don't they work?Trim settings... why do I have to set the sensitivity manually?Control settings... same question as in Trim Settings???Lighting at night... why are so many saying they see "tree, mountains, ground textures, etc." at night?Did I forget anything... "please fill in the blanks ____________________________"What do you think will happen to Flight, when (if) they attempt to add the "stuff" that FSX has now (mentioned above). Do you think it will run "better"? How could it?BTW, I am having a "BALL" playing with flight. Really... partly because I don't spend time comparing it to something that is "completely different". Yes, I know they are similar... but humans and monkeys are even MORE similar... I doubt this thread would exist if someone was trying to compare "us" to "them" though! Do you?Now... stop all this comparison stuff and go have some FUN! See you online (TheSnakeBite58)...I'll be the one flying! LOL!

So what are the actual improvements Flight offers over FSX? I sure overlooked something
I can run it on my computers! Not being sarcastic...well, maybe slightly...but I have not been able to get FSX to run smoothly on my computers - and I just built a new one!

I can run it on my computers! Not being sarcastic...well, maybe slightly...but I have not been able to get FSX to run smoothly on my computers - and I just built a new one!
Its not that difficult to make FSX run perfect. Now I see people "tweaking" flight. That was suppose to be a big selling point. No tweaking needed.

Its not that difficult to make FSX run perfect. Now I see people "tweaking" flight. That was suppose to be a big selling point. No tweaking needed.
I wonder what you call 'perfect' then... :wink: I have FSX 'running great' but compared to MS Flight it isn't that great anymore... It's great compared to FSX out of the box or before I got my latest computer or without tweaks. but compared to MS Flight, which is butter smooth, FSX doesn't look too good.BTW Afaik most current MS Flight tweaks aren't about performance.

I wonder what you call 'perfect' then... :wink: I have FSX 'running great' but compared to MS Flight it isn't that great anymore... It's great compared to FSX out of the box or before I got my latest computer or without tweaks. but compared to MS Flight, which is butter smooth, FSX doesn't look too good.BTW Afaik most current MS Flight tweaks aren't about performance.
Flight is actually quit good for what it is and for what its intended use is, but the statement ,"compared to MS Flight it isn't that great anymore"?; Please... On an adequate computer, a properly configured FSX with 3rd party scenery, weather, navigation and aircraft, flying your chosen part of the globe is an awesome thing. MS could eventual morph Flight into something similar, but I don't think that is their intent. If they follow their typical product life cycle, Flight may become obsolete in 2 or 3 years and replaced by a new title.Again, Flight is a excellent software title, but in your enthusiasm don't confuse an apple with an orange.

i9-12900K | Asus ROG Strix Z690-F Gaming | RTX 3080 | 32GB DDR5 | Win 10 Pro | Acer Predator UltraWide 3440x1440 (G-Sync)

Flight is actually quit good for what it is and for what its intended use is, but the statement ,"compared to MS Flight it isn't that great anymore"?; Please... On an adequate computer, a properly configured FSX with 3rd party scenery, weather, navigation and aircraft, flying your chosen part of the globe is an awesome thing. MS could eventual morph Flight into something similar, but I don't think that is their intent. If they follow their typical product life cycle, Flight may become obsolete in 2 or 3 years and replaced by a new title.Again, Flight is a excellent software title, but in your enthusiasm don't confuse an apple with an orange.
I was reacting to the statement that it is possible to get FSX running perfect. :wink: That's something else then you are talking about. FSX looks great and all on my PC and it runs well, but not perfect, specially not compared to the buttersmooth MS Flight experience!

And the default aircraft have better FMs as well... at the level of the best add-ons for MSFSX, of fs9.I believe they have carefully parametrized each model, as opposed to most of the default airplanes/helos in MSFS previous versions...I believe they have also "tweaked" some aspects of weather, namely winds and gusts.

Main Simulation Rig:

Ryzen 5600x, 32GB RAM, Nvidia RTX 3060 Ti, 1 TB & 500 GB M.2 nvme drives, Win11.

Lenovo TB310FU 9,5" Tablet for Navigraph and some available external FMCs or AviTABs...

Main flight simulator: Finally MSFS 2020 ! Best sim ever, all summed up... Have to agree...

I was reacting to the statement that it is possible to get FSX running perfect. :wink: That's something else then you are talking about. FSX looks great and all on my PC and it runs well, but not perfect, specially not compared to the buttersmooth MS Flight experience!
Well, I thought that about FSX until I built a new computer last month. At 4.9 Ghz my I7 machine runs it nearly silky smooth with only an occasional hitch. On my Q6600 I built four years ago it was not up to the task and very disappointing.Flight is fun to fly, but it reaches its limits very quickly and then I become bored. FSX being an open platform, the sky is the limit.

i9-12900K | Asus ROG Strix Z690-F Gaming | RTX 3080 | 32GB DDR5 | Win 10 Pro | Acer Predator UltraWide 3440x1440 (G-Sync)

Guest mna27

the flight physics for me is the best improvement in flight over fsx. even on max realism while playing fsx I get the feeling the plane is on a track. Don't forget flight is still essentially a beta, so much more will be added in the future. If you don't like it come back in a few months and check it out. The best part about this business model, which alot of people complained about lack of in FSX, is continuous support. There were only 2 service packs released for FSX, but with the business model being used in Flight (continuous new releases of planes/regions) it ensures long term support for flight.....because the money will still be trickling in over the years.

There's a huge difference between FSX's "tweaking for performance" (required!)......and Flight's "tweaking for personal preference" (optional!)

Fr. Bill    

AOPA Member: 07141481 AARP Member: 3209010556

Avsim Board of Directors | Avsim Forums Moderator

There's a huge difference between the FSX's "tweaking for performance" and Flight's "tweaking for personal preference."
So much so, you really cannot even compare the two.

Of course we can compare them, at least for the functionality that both offer.If one of the added functionality of FSX is essential for somebody, then the answer is easy. Use FSX!

Pierre

P3D when its freezing in Quebec....well, that's most of the time...
C-GDXL based at CYQB for real flying when its warming up...

True - however I was speaking to Bill's comment, of the large difference in why one would tweak the individual files for FSX, versus tweaking the same for Flight.I have spent, and probably will spend even more, quite a lot of time tweaking files for FSX to gain a litte more performance, whether that be fps, reduce stuttering, changing how autogen pops in , etc... as opposed to spending a little time on tweaking Flight files for my joystick sensitivity, null zone, how I want trim to react to a button press, how I want the eyepoint to move with the same, etc... :smile:

I tried to climb an air stair and couldn't - that would have been cool - to board an airliner like a DC-6 by climbing the air stairbeing able to sit down would be cool too...it might have been the only way to improve those hundred dollar hamburger missions, being able to get out of the plane, walk into thecafe and sit down with a sangwich and a cold drink..lol

I remember when FSX was out and it was not a jump and fly thing at all when it comes to performance . When it comes to Flight the sky its the limit also . That limit comes at MS price and im more than happy to blow my money again like i did before just because how it runs on my current machine . i wish FSX back in its days was as smooth as Flight without lossing sleep till 4 or 5 am reading about how to get it to run all maxed out .Flight its in its first days let it get old so we can compare the two . The Devs at MS are working on other things that were not poping out during beta and for the looks this time we will get more updates than we did with FSX.

being able to get out of the plane, walk into thecafe and sit down with a sangwich and a cold drink..lol
+1 lol i always think of that after those jobs . there is detail in areas outside Hilo that tells me someone has plans for us to be able to get out of the plane and do more than just walk around .

Image removed as image is no longer available.