Sign in to follow this  
propkop2k2

FSearthTiles Updated Version

Hi everyone, 

I'm back to using FSET after a hiatus from simming.  I'm new to version 1.30 and have a few questions: 

1.  How am I able to compile large areas? More specifically, how can I manage what I have already created and looking to complete? I've read about the using Google Earth and KMZ files, but yet to fully grasp the process and concept.  I would be wonderful if I was able to draw polygons and have those areas developed by FSET or something along those lines. 

2.  I'm only doing US scenery and have only one working service (virtual earth).  I've exaustively searched the net for other working map services like Yahoo etc, to find them outdated.  Would someone please be kind enough to supply me at least one other service as Virtual Earth has a lot of coloration issues in certain regions in the US?

Thank you very much in advance! 

-peacefarm

Hi All

I am having some problems with FSET and could do with some adult supervision.

I am trying to integrate Aerosoft VFR London X with OrbX FTX EU using the method created by Etienne. I am using his instructions but when i compile the tiles in FSET using the AreaKML.kml file get the error "You have excluded all tiles or have not defined a polygon named area if using a KML file" Any ideas how I can overcome this???

I love this project and have got it to work but if you don't use the KML it includes the rivers and lakes in the image and these present an unrealistic lean to it all.

Looking forward to some adult supervision.

Paul

Hi All

I am having some problems with FSET and could do with some adult supervision.

I am trying to integrate Aerosoft VFR London X with OrbX FTX EU using the method created by Etienne. I am using his instructions but when i compile the tiles in FSET using the AreaKML.kml file get the error "You have excluded all tiles or have not defined a polygon named area if using a KML file" Any ideas how I can overcome this???

I love this project and have got it to work but if you don't use the KML it includes the rivers and lakes in the image and these present an unrealistic lean to it all.

Looking forward to some adult supervision.

Paul

Hi Paul, since you already stated you are using the kml method, are you including a polygon called "Area" in AreaKML.kml? That is used by FSET to delineate what inagery to use...

I have moved on to a different technique now, instead of using GE Ive been creating my mask outlines in QGIS using the mapserver plugin. It means you can trace outlines directly into a vector layer from a whole range of map backgrounds then export the result as kml, or shp files etc. Its much more flexible and allows greater accuracy with different image sets :)

Of course you still need to have the same layers in the AreaKML.kml file to compile scenery with FSET!

Kevin Firth - i9 10850K @5.2; Asus Maximus XII Hero; 32Gb Cas16 3600 DDR4; RTX3090; AutoFPS; FG mod

Beta tester for: UK2000; JustFlight; VoxATC; FSReborn; //42

xaP1VAU.png

Hi Kevin thanks for answering, I am using the Areakml.kml file created by Etienne, may I ask if you have an address I can send it to you to have a look, I am happy doing what needs to be done, I just don't know what needs to be done lol.

The short answer is

"I don't know"

I am following the instructions but have got to the point that my meagre knowledge of this is hurting me

[Service1]  #Google Maps 
ServiceName = Google
ServiceCodeing = qrts 
ServiceUrl =https://khm0.google.com/kh?t=t%s&n=404&v=158
Referer = https://khm0.google.com 
UserAgent = Mozilla/4.0 
ServerVariations = khm0,khm1,khm2,khm3 

Hi Guys,

Does anyone have a working service block for google?  What I have above isn't working anymore.  

Or for https://earthexplorer.usgs.gov/   

I've noticed there is new 2017 imagery and I'd like to refresh my stock.  But I can't seem to get google up.

Also, The link for this newer FSET is not working.  Is there a place I can download FSET 2?

Thank You

[Service1]  #Google Maps 
ServiceName = Google
ServiceCodeing = qrts 
ServiceUrl =https://khm0.google.com/kh?t=t%s&n=404&v=158
Referer = https://khm0.google.com 
UserAgent = Mozilla/4.0 

Hi Guys,

Does anyone have a working service block for google?  What I have above isn't working anymore.  

Or for https://earthexplorer.usgs.gov/   

I've noticed there is new 2017 imagery and I'd like to refresh my stock.  But I can't seem to get google up.

Also, The link for this newer FSET is not working.  Is there a place I can download FSET 2?

Thank You

Hi Denali, I'll check my Google service entry tonight and PM you.

Is there an FSET2? I'm working on v1.3?

Cheers K

Kevin Firth - i9 10850K @5.2; Asus Maximus XII Hero; 32Gb Cas16 3600 DDR4; RTX3090; AutoFPS; FG mod

xaP1VAU.png

Thanks

Is there an FSET2? I'm working on v1.3?

One of the original posts in this thread mentions it, and the link has FSET-Version%20101 within it, so I gathered from there.

I've actually made bunch of scriptlets using autohotkey that automates downloading of large FSET areas.

I think I remember exploring the 2.0 version somewhere, and it had some kind of resume capability, but my memory may be foggy and wrong.

Thanks

One of the original posts in this thread mentions it, and the link has FSET-Version%20101 within it, so I gathered from there.

I've actually made bunch of scriptlets using autohotkey that automates downloading of large FSET areas.

I think I remember exploring the 2.0 version somewhere, and it had some kind of resume capability, but my memory may be foggy and wrong.

http://www.avsim.com/topic/365949-fsearthtiles-updated-version/page-1#entry2323738

This slightly later entry shows v1.03 so I'd assumed the development curve to be 1.01, 1.02 to the current 1.03....

Posted Today, 01:01 PM

kevinfirth, on 07 Feb 2017 - 12:24 PM, said:

Thanks

[service1] #Google Maps

ServiceName = Google

ServiceCodeing = qrts

ServiceUrl = http://khm0.google.com/kh?t=t%s&n=404&v=709

Referer = http://khm0.google.com

UserAgent = Mozilla/4.0

xaP1VAU.png

Thanks Again.  What else is good is I'm not seeing the google watermark in the final product.  

That is good news

Thanks Again.  What else is good is I'm not seeing the google watermark in the final product.

That is good, I usually have used virtual earth imagery myself, I might look at some Google stuff more now.... K

xaP1VAU.png

Not sure if it is because of the resolution i'm using, 30cm.  It might show up on other res.

Any chance someone has the source for FSET.  I used to have it but I misplaced it.  

On 2/5/2017 at 7:30 AM, kevinfirth said:

Hi Paul, since you already stated you are using the kml method, are you including a polygon called "Area" in AreaKML.kml? That is used by FSET to delineate what inagery to use...

I have moved on to a different technique now, instead of using GE Ive been creating my mask outlines in QGIS using the mapserver plugin. It means you can trace outlines directly into a vector layer from a whole range of map backgrounds then export the result as kml, or shp files etc. Its much more flexible and allows greater accuracy with different image sets :)

Of course you still need to have the same layers in the AreaKML.kml file to compile scenery with FSET!

Any chance you can give me some more information on how you're using QGIS to define mask outlines?  I am currently trying to make some scenery in Norway.  I downloaded the vector data for lakes in Norway.  I open in QGIS and then export as KML.  When I open this in Google Earth, the lake definitions are not very accurate/don't follow the coastline very closely.

Thank you so much for any help you can give me!  I appreciate your time!!

• Upvote 1

Regards,

Kevin LaMal

"Facts Don't Care About Your Feelings" - Shapiro2024

I recently "discovered" FS EarthTiles in my search for a photoreal scenery application that worked easily with both FS2004 and FSX since I use both in my flying hobby.  Creating FSX photoreal was a breeze, but like many in this thread, I found all my FS2004 photoreal showed up with grey textures.

I searched all nine pages of this thread for the answer to the problem and never found anything that worked, so I went back to the user.rtf doc and read it page, by page, by page, especially the part about the .ini file format, as I was sure something was wrong there.

That was when I noticed something I had missed each time before.  When compiling the scenery for FS2004 the FS2004SDK copy of ImageTool that you place in the FSET folder must be renamed from ImageTool.exe to ImageToolFS2004.exe (just as you must rename the platform specific resample.exe to either resampleFSXSP2.exe or resampleFS2004.exe) for the scenery to compile correctly.  Once I did that rename I have had 100% success compiling FS2004 Photoreal Scenery.  it doesn't look as crisp as the FSX sceneries, but it is still exponentially better than default scenery.  After adding in autogen with the FS2004SDK Autogen Annotator the result is very, very nice, even at ground level.

Randy

• Upvote 1

On 7/12/2018 at 9:31 PM, Ramjett said:

I recently "discovered" FS EarthTiles in my search for a photoreal scenery application that worked easily with both FS2004 and FSX since I use both in my flying hobby.  Creating FSX photoreal was a breeze, but like many in this thread, I found all my FS2004 photoreal showed up with grey textures.

I searched all nine pages of this thread for the answer to the problem and never found anything that worked, so I went back to the user.rtf doc and read it page, by page, by page, especially the part about the .ini file format, as I was sure something was wrong there.

That was when I noticed something I had missed each time before.  When compiling the scenery for FS2004 the FS2004SDK copy of ImageTool that you place in the FSET folder must be renamed from ImageTool.exe to ImageToolFS2004.exe (just as you must rename the platform specific resample.exe to either resampleFSXSP2.exe or resampleFS2004.exe) for the scenery to compile correctly.  Once I did that rename I have had 100% success compiling FS2004 Photoreal Scenery.  it doesn't look as crisp as the FSX sceneries, but it is still exponentially better than default scenery.  After adding in autogen with the FS2004SDK Autogen Annotator the result is very, very nice, even at ground level.

Randy

Mate, I have spent most of today trying to figure out why I keep getting grey rectangles! THANK YOU! I have looked high and low for the answer and came across this by chance!

I might have to write a definitive ‘how to’ to save the next keen scenery builder some time...!

YOU however are a star!