Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

spilok

New NVidia 301.42 drivers!

Only tested these WHOL (not beta) NVidia 301.42 drivers for about an hour tonight, but I really believe I saw faster texture loading (no delay), better frame rates, and high quality, crisp scenery. Flew in Pennsylvania at dusk, and switched to my Hawaii Megascenery departing from Honolulu. Lots of great clouds using ASE and REX for textures. My sliders are all the way over to the right for Autogen and Density, and these drivers performed better than anything else I've ever used. I hope we get agreement from others who try them.

I'm excited about these, and look forward to more tests tomorrow.

Stan

Help AVSIM continue to serve you!
Please donate today!

I really believe I saw faster texture loading (no delay)

I saw faster texture loading as well(much improved). Frames were slightly better but mine were always pretty decent. I would highly recommend upgrading to this driver.

I concur.These new drivers are very good!! :Party:

It's subjective I know, but this driver just made my scenery and aircraft look fantastic. Richer colors without over-saturation...crisp. Smooth video. Really good.

Yes I believe I picked up a couple frames and gained some overall smoothness as well.

Jim

For some reason I'm seeing much smoother frame rates as well. I updated the driver and increased the resolution, and I'm still getting noticeably smoother frame rates. It's strange as to why, but I'll take it!

I concur also, and also offer a huge thanks to Word Not Allowed. I did as he suggested in the video / hardware forums, and set my V-Sync to 1/2 refresh rate, and my anti-aliasing to 2xSgSS and 8xS. Wow, just Wow! My sim is performing great in all respects. Smooth as butter, no stutters, gorgeous graphics. Compared to he early days of FSX, we sure have come a long way!

-Bob

Is anyone here that has upgraded to this new driver that used this new driver to replace the 301.24's? If so is there any difference between the two?

Bob

Count me in as a fan of these also. My 580 sure seems to enjoy these... and my fsx also.

Is anyone here that has upgraded to this new driver that used this new driver to replace the 301.24's? If so is there any difference between the two?

Bob

Hi Bob, Textures seem to load much quicker, and I don't get texture flashers like I used to at some airports like UK2000. So yes, I do see a difference, and a good one. Hope that helps.

Rgds

Hi Bob, Textures seem to load much quicker, and I don't get texture flashers like I used to at some airports like UK2000. So yes, I do see a difference, and a good one. Hope that helps.

Rgds

Great thanks. I will give them a try.

Bob

The new drivers are superb. One word of caution for everyone, the installation of the new drivers changed some of my NVInspector settings, so after you install, go back to the inspector panel and check your settings for FSX. I had to reset about 4 of the settings.

Lee

Bob

Probably no change except that the 301.24's were BETA and the 301.42 drivers are official WHQL drivers. It's best to run your display drivers with WHQL drivers and only run BETA temporarily until the WHQL drivers come out.

Best regards,

Jim

Anyone try them out or have any thoughts on how they might perform on a GTX 285? Things are running smoothly for me now and don't want to fix something that ain't broke if these new drivers don't help with older cards. Any thoughts would be very much appreciated. Thanks!

Interesting for me as I am having issues even though all nvidia settings remained the same when using the beta version of these drivers. I am using UsePools=0 and Highmemfix. I am now getting flashes and tearing. It is very smooth though. So I never tried this before. In Nvidia Inspector I moved from High Quality to Quality and set texture filtering trilinear optimization on and set fsx from ansio to trilinear in the fsx UI.

For my old eyes, I could not tell one bit of difference in texture quality. I was able to increase my cloud coverage from high to max, but lowered the water to one notch below high which was there to prevent flashes and tearing on the older drivers. Tearing and flashing is gone and I have increased my frames 2-3 and all is working well. Still set at 1/2 refresh rate and locked at 30 in-game. Also I do not have the shimmering of some of the airport buildings due to the reduced load (apparently) in my video card.

Just a thought for those that may be having a few issues. You tell me if you can tell the difference between using quality rather than high quality and using trilinear in FSX vs Anisio.

Bob

Bob

Anyone try them out or have any thoughts on how they might perform on a GTX 285? Things are running smoothly for me now and don't want to fix something that ain't broke if these new drivers don't help with older cards. Any thoughts would be very much appreciated. Thanks!

Bob, I'm finding a definite advantage on my GTX260, much smoother and fluid. Worth a shot!

Cheers

Larry

Just a thought for those that may be having a few issues. You tell me if you can tell the difference between using quality rather than high quality and using trilinear in FSX vs Anisio.

Bob, with my 57 year young eyes i don't see a difference between quality and high quality and a minor one between anisio and trilinear, but since framerate and smoothness are the same for me i use high and anisio.

Cheers.

They're fine for my GTX 280. May actually be some improvement in texture loading though it's too early to tell. Certainly no problems so far.

I actually see a 5 FPS improvement in my Aerosoft F16 NYC test flight that I run. FSX is locked at 30 FPS and overall the sim just seems to run better, FPS seems to stay a lot closer to the lock of 30 FPS than with my old 270.61's.

All of my heavy duty payware aircraft works great except the ES CX750. After I went from 270.61 to 301.42 I started getting graphic corruption in the VC. If I toggle from windowed mode to full screen it clears the corruption up, I then toggle back to windowed mode and it is fine for another 60 to 120 minutes. Right now since this is the only problem I have encountered I am going to stick with 301.42.

Hey guys. Maybe one of you gurus can help me out. I have seen this before and the only option was to revert back to previous version of nvidia drivers. So I have a evga gtx480. I install the new 301.42's nd then later when I try an run fsx a screen pops up right away say something sbout my video card isn't good enough and I should at least have an nvidia8800 or ati something. Obviously I have at least an 8800. Anyone able to help me out? Thanks!

i am running 301.24 drivers for my GTX280M with great results using the new 1/2 vsync built in option and limiting within FSX to 30 as Word Not Allowed and others have said to do....

should I bother upgrading again to another driver? I was still amazed the 301.24 were available for my aging 280M but they worked awesome...

This is the first time I installed a new NV driver w/o uninstalling/cleaning the prior driver. Is this considered the right approach nowadays, i.e. not to uninstall the former driver?