Sign in to follow this  
SteveFx

DX10 Flashing Runways - Experimental Shader

But what level?

The default aa in dx10 is 4x, you cannot force higher in the driver, but you can increase to 8x by setting an entry in fsx.cfg MultiSamplesPerPixel in graphics.

With nvidia and ati you can then enhance but not override to further modes that use 8 base samples and also set super sampling. So you should be able to get the same level of aa but you need to set it up differently (and it will never work on the preview screen)

But what level?

I have : FXAA-->ON

Antialiasing-Mode-->Enhance Application Setting

Antialiasing-Setting-->8x CSAA

Odds are, most people have a better GPU than me at this point. So, that should be working. I am using Nvidia GeForce 304.79 (BETA) drivers.

The default aa in dx10 is 4x, you cannot force higher in the driver, but you can increase to 8x by setting an entry in fsx.cfg MultiSamplesPerPixel in graphics.

Maybe my setup is just weird then...I have forced 8x CSAA through the "Enhance Application Setting" option in the driver control panel. I am not using the MultiSamplesPerPixel parameter in my CFG.

and it will never work on the preview screen

Again, I have no clue why, but changing the AA in NVIDIA control panel actually affects that, even in DX10 mode.

Note--I am not currently using DX10 mode because the stress on my GPU lowers performance (My GPU sucks.)

IAgain, I have no clue why, but changing the AA in NVIDIA control panel actually affects that, even in DX10 mode.

FXAA does enable AA in the preview window but I wasn't impressed by the way it looked in-game. I was under the impression that FXAA overrides whatever you set in your AA settings but I could be wrong.

KInd regards

Jean-Paul

I7 8700K / Fractal Design Celsius S24 watercooling / ASRock Z370 Extreme4 motherboard / Corsair 32GB 3200mhz DDR4 / INNO3D iChiLL GeForce GTX 1080 Ti X3 / Samsung SSD 960 EVO M.2 PCIe NVMe 500GB / Seasonic-SSR-850FX power supply / Fractal Design Define R5 Black case / AOC Q3279VWF 32″ 2560x1440 monitor / Benq GL2450 24″ 1920x1080 monitor / Track-IR 4

That makes perfect sense. 8x csaa is an nvidia mode that is based on 4 msaa samples. It adds additional coverage samples which aren't the same thing.

See here

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/anti-aliasing-performance,3065-19.html

So it's an enhancement of 4x msaa equivalent to ati 4x EQ

You can enhance but only to modes that use the same number of base samples

Jean Paul you are correct any form of post processing aa willl smooth everything including text and the preview screens, but like you I hate the way it looks.

@pride are you using some form of smaa via a dx9 injector?

That makes perfect sense. 8x csaa is an nvidia mode that is based on 4 msaa samples. It adds additional coverage samples which aren't the same thing.

See here

http://www.tomshardw...ce,3065-19.html

Jean Paul you are correct any form of post processing aa willl smooth everything including text and the preview screens, but like you I hate the way it looks.

Possible. I have no clue about the technicalities of this stuff (i don't game much). Whatever the case is, it should look just fine (in my opinion). Oddly enough, FXAA doesn't seem to have affected the way text and preview screens look.

trevg

I think you have the same problem Jean-Paul Mes was discussing above. Smoke is an effect and there is a DX10 bug which carries over properties - normally with "lights" but actually they are just coloured shapes like smoke in FSX scenery terms. So I woudl guess that they are flashing in time to your plane beacon?

Turning the plane lights off will probably make the smoke disappear. Its a subject I am working on. I posted some complicated instructions for fake lights but if I were you I would wait a few weeks as there may be a better way

Steve

Steve further to above,

Classic is at PHOG, sugar refinery. Smoke is flashing in unison with the beacon on top of the chimney.

Sitting above the chimney in look down view with no power on aircraft, makes it very pronounced.

It must be tied to the lights as you suggest.

Trevor Golding

See here

http://www.tomshardw...ce,3065-19.html

@stevejp PLease explain what you mean.

@theredbaron I do not have FXAA turned on.

I haveb attached a shot of FSX with DX10 prewview off and on. Notice the runway edge lines and ultralight cables in the on shot.

Here is a copy of my nvidia inspector and the bottom of my general 10 file.

Can you confirm that you have ticked the Anti-aliasing tick box on the left hand side of the graphics settings screen in fsx and that if you start and stop fsx it remains ticked? I seem to remember that years ago i used to have a problem that it toggled itself off when I selected dx10 and so I had to select dx10, exit, run fsx and then set anti-alias back on.

Try setting the nvi setting for aa to application controlled and then take some screenshots in full screen mode ie after alt-return.

You have a sli setting for fsx can anyone with nvidia explain what that does?

Hi there,

Tried your installer version from your blog. Don't know if it made any difference in terms of performance but it sure got rid of the issues with the flickering, etc... I did see bridges from high up flickering over rivers and such but I would expect that it's not possible to fix something like that?

Anyways, I digress to my 2 important questions. I read most of the posts but I got a little loss throughout the 12 pages.

1. Can REX be installed overtop without issues caused by your fixes?

2. Does anyone have an explanation of how to use the NVidia Inspector and what steps to take as well as settings that should be put in there along with the settings I should set within FSX? Right now in FSX I have Antiscopic(or whatever it is) and Anti-Aliasing set. I also turned of DX10 Preview obviously.

Thanks.

@Pride: Some of you Inspector settings are wrong;

Set "Toggle FXAA" to "ON".

Set "AntiAliasing - Transparency SuperSampling" to "4x SparseGrid SS"

Set "Anisotropic Setting" to 8x or 16x

and finally -

"Frame Rate Limit" to "Off" - and set this to 30 inside FSX.

Both REX and ASE work fine, and can be installed/uninstalled without impact on Steve's DX10.

As much of my flying is now done around the Seattle area, my remaining, and most important issue - is still the land reflection into the water: it shimmers, and needs lots of testing to find a satisfactory answer, and at the moment this means playing with REX, playing with FSWC, and still fiddling with the WaterConstants file. Of course - remember - this was, and still is for many folks - a problem with DX9 as well.

There aren't enough hours in the day. :(

i7 4790K@4.8GHz | 32GB RAM | EVGA RTX 3080Ti | Maximus Hero VII | 512GB 860 Pro | 512GB 850 Pro | 256GB 840 Pro | 2TB 860 QVO | 1TB 870 EVO | Seagate 3TB Cloud | EVGA 1000 GQ | Win10 Pro | EK Custom water cooling.

Hi Steve, I read your blog in http://stevesfsxanal...flying-r-ranch/ about the grass blending problem, is it an transparency issue? Wonder have you found a fix? This is because I am working on a new lamp post that use 3d polygon light rather than effect fx light. As everybody know the fx point light will eat your fps.

Look at the DX9 screen, the new light is completely fine:

In DX10, it looks like a transparency issue to me:

I prefer to run in DX10 now because it give me higher fps and smoother flight. (If the same scene use the default fx light, the simulator would run in 3 fps). I hope the issue is same like what you posted in the blog, and hope you can find a solution. :)

Guest JohnnyVaughan

Hoping to install this fix when I get back from holiday in Tenerife. Can't wait to see how much it improves my simming experience! I can't believe we're still finding these amazing tweaks 6 years after fsx came out!!

FSX won't even load past the rebuilding scenery libraries for me. No crash report, no error logs. It just stops loading with 0 errors with this fix installed.