Sign in to follow this  
SteveFx

DX10 Flashing Runways - Experimental Shader

You are sure you checked C:\Users\youraccountname\AppData\Local\Microsoft\FSX\ ?

KInd regards

Jean-Paul

I7 8700K / Fractal Design Celsius S24 watercooling / ASRock Z370 Extreme4 motherboard / Corsair 32GB 3200mhz DDR4 / INNO3D iChiLL GeForce GTX 1080 Ti X3 / Samsung SSD 960 EVO M.2 PCIe NVMe 500GB / Seasonic-SSR-850FX power supply / Fractal Design Define R5 Black case / AOC Q3279VWF 32″ 2560x1440 monitor / Benq GL2450 24″ 1920x1080 monitor / Track-IR 4

If you start FSX, go into Settings and check DX10 Preview in Display, then exit FSX - the next time you start FSX it will be created. Maybe you haven't run FSX in DX10 mode?

i7 4790K@4.8GHz | 32GB RAM | EVGA RTX 3080Ti | Maximus Hero VII | 512GB 860 Pro | 512GB 850 Pro | 256GB 840 Pro | 2TB 860 QVO | 1TB 870 EVO | Seagate 3TB Cloud | EVGA 1000 GQ | Win10 Pro | EK Custom water cooling.

This is an excellent thread. I do hope that when it settles down (if it ever does !), someone who understands it all will summarise the key points for those of us who can't keep up but want to try DX10 without the wrinkles.

Under [Main]

FIBER_FRAME_TIME_FRACTION=0.1

It's not there by default: you need to add it as above. Try first at .18 and see the difference. You'll be surprised.

Do I set the frame rate in FSX options to 30 or keep it at unlimited?

Jean-Paul - I am fairly sure the problem with poles that you report is the same issue as the aircarft lights - do they still illuminate the ground after they go out? I know thats a daft question about a light - but thats what the aircraft ones do if you look closely.

That depends on a few things, TC. Technically - if you've an Nvidia card: the latest 300 series drivers include a new method of controlling the visible Vsync tearing, and since approximately v1.9.5.x of Inspector - it has the requisite parameters allowing you to use it. In this case - the fps needs to be set at 1/2 of the refresh rate of your monitor - so - normal monitor runs at 60 HZ, right? - set the rate at 30fps within FSX , and set the Tear Control to 'Standard' and the Vertical Sync to '1/2 Refresh Rate' in Inspector. This gives a smoother flight experience and picks up a few frames at the same time.

If your machine won't hold 30 because of your settings, or proc speed, whatever - then it's up to you. Personally I used to use 24 and 26 for my rates - set in the sim, as it was able to give me the settings I wanted (or close), and not stutter or drop too much, except at the heavy scenery areas. If you're running an ATI/AMD gpu - I have no idea anymore. I reckon my last sentence will still be valid for ATI/AMD, though.

Setting 'unlimited' within FSX usually causes larger fps swings, with hesitations every few seconds, as if clearing its throat - but - some folks do use it, and it works for them!

i7 4790K@4.8GHz | 32GB RAM | EVGA RTX 3080Ti | Maximus Hero VII | 512GB 860 Pro | 512GB 850 Pro | 256GB 840 Pro | 2TB 860 QVO | 1TB 870 EVO | Seagate 3TB Cloud | EVGA 1000 GQ | Win10 Pro | EK Custom water cooling.

I apologize for being extremely immature, but while I'm reading Steve's blog with huge interest, my first look at the link in his signature made me think 'Steve's what!?'. :o

Jean-Paul - I am fairly sure the problem with poles that you report is the same issue as the aircarft lights - do they still illuminate the ground after they go out? I know thats a daft question about a light - but thats what the aircraft ones do if you look closely.

Not daft at all :-) but it is hard to say with Orbx scenery. Lightpole autogen seems to be annotaded on bright spots "painted" on the texture so I can't be sure if the light illuminates anything or not. When I put a plane beneath a light pole, it isn''t illuminated, which is probably normal.

What I can confirm is that the lights will flash on or off depending on the angle you look at them (probably the same problem as the navlights ?)

KInd regards

Jean-Paul

I7 8700K / Fractal Design Celsius S24 watercooling / ASRock Z370 Extreme4 motherboard / Corsair 32GB 3200mhz DDR4 / INNO3D iChiLL GeForce GTX 1080 Ti X3 / Samsung SSD 960 EVO M.2 PCIe NVMe 500GB / Seasonic-SSR-850FX power supply / Fractal Design Define R5 Black case / AOC Q3279VWF 32″ 2560x1440 monitor / Benq GL2450 24″ 1920x1080 monitor / Track-IR 4

Jean-Paul thanks for pointing out the rain fix.

It's appreciated.

Thanks guys.

Peter

guys what does this "FIBER_FRAME_TIME_FRACTION = 0.1" ??!!

This was taken from a post a while ago - probably one of the Aces team, so appologies if you're the author and I haven't given you credit!

There are several ways to adjust how much CPU time FS devotes to loading scenery and textures. The easiest way is to set the target frame rate slider to a value that your machine can consistently achieve. The lower you set the slider, the more CPU time is diverted from rendering to loading data. Another thing you can do is to modify the following variable in FSX.CFG:

Add this entry, just below the [MAIN] section in FSX.CFG

FIBER_FRAME_TIME_FRACTION=0.33

This variable determines the amount of CPU time given to loading scenery data as a fraction of the time spent rendering. For example, the default value of 0.33 means that for every 3 milliseconds spent rendering, FS will give 1 millisecond to the scenery loader. If necessary, you can use a larger value to devote more time to loading. Or, if you don't have a problem with the blurries and you want slightly higher frame rates, then you can use a smaller value.

Other reasons for "The Blurries" may include:

Exhaustion of video memory.

If a particular scene requires more video memory than your video card has available, the Flight Simulator graphics engine has no choice but to remove some of the highest resolution mipmaps from video memory to save space, leaving only lower-resolution mipmaps for rendering. This usually appears as a sudden change. One moment, all the textures in the scene are sharp and full-resolution and suddenly everything becomes more blurry. It can also get progressively worse over several frames as FS works to fit more textures into video memory.

There are several ways to combat this problem.

a) If you are running at a very high screen resolution, lower it slightly to free up additional video memory.

B) Some video cards use lots of video memory for anti-aliasing, so try turning it off.

c) Turn down the setting of the "Global Max Texture Size" slider.

d) Lower the setting of the AutoGen and scenery complexity sliders.

e) Reduce the setting of the terrain texture resolution slider.

f) Turn down the amount of AI traffic.

Note: (pj) A modern - GTX 480 and newer - video card linked with any i7 proc will allow a much lower FFTF - down to abot .1. Of course, you can experiment with it: it will reduce stutters and give you extra frames along with a much smoother ride.

Would anyone be nice enough to just upload their edited fx file (with all the new revisions) and make a new topic and pin it?

Fly Navy

You are sure you checked C:\Users\youraccountname\AppData\Local\Microsoft\FSX\ ?

Yes

If you start FSX, go into Settings and check DX10 Preview in Display, then exit FSX - the next time you start FSX it will be created. Maybe you haven't run FSX in DX10 mode?

This is what I did

OK.. What is at the end of that pathname, then? Can you post a screen shot, Squish? It HAS to be there!