Sign in to follow this  
SteveFx

DX10 Flashing Runways - Experimental Shader

It's all going to depend upon what hardware you have, how you've setup your system, and FSX's config, Cap. I always set 30fps within the sim when using the 1/2 RR, and she usually sits around 29.9, with the odd diversion to 25-26. With DX10 - it stays at 29.9/30, and doesn't move.

DX10 "feels" more solid - my imagination, I know, because DX9 also "feels" solid too, but it is certainly slightly smoother and more fluid than it was before. I dumped the modified FlightZone's KPDX airport because of that flashing, and so now it needs testing again. For me - it's a new sim. Steve has made a huge difference to how I perceive the DX10 preview. It's very flyable.

Everytime I set my FPS from unlimited to 30, it drops to 18 or 19 and doesn't go any higher. For some reason my system ONLY likes unlimited frame rates.

Everytime I set my FPS from unlimited to 30, it drops to 18 or 19 and doesn't go any higher. For some reason my system ONLY likes unlimited frame rates.

Gotta drop your FF down to .10 or .15.

At .10 you will see practically no frames difference between Unlimited and Locked and Locked is much smoother and better at loading textures.

At the stock setting (I think it defaults .33) Unlimited will give a nice FPS boost, but more stutters and blurries.

Hi, Steve! Sorry for my english, I'm from Russia, I write with the help of Google. The problem, such as if I was not trying, I have to put this mod and did not work, I would like to see the detailed installation instructions and a statement describing in detail in post number 53 does not make. Mod Shader 3.0 do not use the video GTX 460. Thank you for your help.

@IFursov

Sorry I cannot change that one - I looked at the drawcalls and the Multi Sample flag is set true - so it must be that the render target used there has been created with a sample size of 1.

@jenasky

I am really sorry, but all I can understand is that there is something you don't understand and I don't know what.

Are there any russian speakers reading this who could help?

Nvidia Inspector combination of AA Setting of 4x4SS with 4x SparseGridSS, along with FSAA toggled On.

Where do you set 4X4SS?

I was also looking at FXAA Injector but it's only DX9 as far as I know.

...which you might be able to fix with an Nvidia Inspector combination of AA Setting of 4x4SS with 4x SparseGridSS, along with FSAA toggled On. These are my own "sort of" experimental settings, and might not work for others - but, in conjunction with the Terrain.fsh mod in the SgadersHLSL\Terrain folder - it did completely fix the shimmering experienced with the modded version of FlyTampa 's KSEA.

For me, Steve's mods have fixed DX10 perfectly, yielding stable airports and scenery, and giving a bonus of even better frames than we already have through the 1/2 Refresh Rate Vsync mod.

Paul,

My turn to be intrigued :-). Whatever I tried, the only AA methods that I could get to work were internal FSX AA (what you call FSAA ?) and through NI, Nvidia FXAA which also enables AA in the airplane preview window.

On my setup, neither "Override" nor "Enhance application setting" improved visual quality when setting a higher AA level in NI. How did you get that to work ? Same goes for Transparency supersampling : no visual difference (no impact on fps either)

Do you use FSX windowed or full screen ? What is the Terrain.fsh mod ?

I probably missed something somewhere so could you please post your NI settings ?

KInd regards

Jean-Paul

I7 8700K / Fractal Design Celsius S24 watercooling / ASRock Z370 Extreme4 motherboard / Corsair 32GB 3200mhz DDR4 / INNO3D iChiLL GeForce GTX 1080 Ti X3 / Samsung SSD 960 EVO M.2 PCIe NVMe 500GB / Seasonic-SSR-850FX power supply / Fractal Design Define R5 Black case / AOC Q3279VWF 32″ 2560x1440 monitor / Benq GL2450 24″ 1920x1080 monitor / Track-IR 4

Full screen mode, Jean-Paul. I've added my current DX10 fsx.cfg at the bottom - VFRDX10.txt.

Here are the NI settings. The top line shows the 580 driver version, and below is the code taken from a post someone (sorry) put in about three-maybe four years ago, in an attempt to stop shimmering.

FXAA is a new function within NI. FSX AA is the one you set in the Display Settings of FSX

Shimmering textures...

I fixed it by editing the file "Terrain.fxh" in the fsx folder: ShadersHLSL\Terrain\

I changed this: (line 66) (bottom line - red - pj)

sampler BaseSampler = sampler_state

{

Texture = (BaseTexture);

AddressU = Clamp;

AddressV = Clamp;

MinFilter = D3DTEXF_ANISOTROPIC;

MagFilter = D3DTEXF_ANISOTROPIC;

MipFilter = (State_MipFilter);

MipMapLodBias = -2;

};

to:

sampler BaseSampler = sampler_state

{

Texture = (BaseTexture);

AddressU = Clamp;

AddressV = Clamp;

MinFilter = D3DTEXF_ANISOTROPIC;

MagFilter = D3DTEXF_ANISOTROPIC;

MipFilter = (State_MipFilter);

MipMapLodBias = (State_MipMapLodBias);

}

i7 4790K@4.8GHz | 32GB RAM | EVGA RTX 3080Ti | Maximus Hero VII | 512GB 860 Pro | 512GB 850 Pro | 256GB 840 Pro | 2TB 860 QVO | 1TB 870 EVO | Seagate 3TB Cloud | EVGA 1000 GQ | Win10 Pro | EK Custom water cooling.

Thanks Paul,

I haven't tried the terrain.fxh yet but tried your NI settings and I am stumped. IQ and FPS are similar when I use these settings :

No improvements adding 4x4SS and 4x SparseGridSS. Perhaps my GPU ?

KInd regards

Jean-Paul

I7 8700K / Fractal Design Celsius S24 watercooling / ASRock Z370 Extreme4 motherboard / Corsair 32GB 3200mhz DDR4 / INNO3D iChiLL GeForce GTX 1080 Ti X3 / Samsung SSD 960 EVO M.2 PCIe NVMe 500GB / Seasonic-SSR-850FX power supply / Fractal Design Define R5 Black case / AOC Q3279VWF 32″ 2560x1440 monitor / Benq GL2450 24″ 1920x1080 monitor / Track-IR 4

Try enabling your FXAA "Predefined Nvidia FXAA Usage", just above the FXAA Toggle settings..

i7 4790K@4.8GHz | 32GB RAM | EVGA RTX 3080Ti | Maximus Hero VII | 512GB 860 Pro | 512GB 850 Pro | 256GB 840 Pro | 2TB 860 QVO | 1TB 870 EVO | Seagate 3TB Cloud | EVGA 1000 GQ | Win10 Pro | EK Custom water cooling.

Went there :-), no change except adding AA in the aircraft preview window. :mellow:. Could you try my settings, leave FXAA enabled if you want and check if it changes your IQ and FPS ?

KInd regards

Jean-Paul

Going to be a day or so, Jean-Paul... I have the cockpit pulled apart, building a new yoke, but - I thought I saw somewhere that your 920 was oc'd to 4.5 gig - and tied with a 285 gpu. If that is the case - I don't think you're going to get better performance with either DX9 or DX10. I picked up perhaps 4 frames, and smoother feel, but the killers for me were all fixed by following Steve's code changes: the flashing is gone, the fences are exactly as in DX9, headlights are all good, the arrows are red, but they are adequate, and (I believe) the AA issue is gone by virtue of using the NI settings + the Terrain.fxh change.

No worries and no hurry at all, Paul. I'm not after higher FPS, just trying to find out if higher IQ thru NI is possible.

KInd regards

Jean-Paul

Hi,

I haven't tried this tweak just yet (because my runways weren't flashing). But, I noticed that the self-shadowing in the VC is very temperamental. There is a lot of aliasing sometimes, and other times, it is fine. Does anyone else know what I am talking about? Other than that, I don't seem to have an aliasing problem (I use NVIDIA control panel instead of inspector).

Thanks!

Guest firehawk44

I'm throwing the following link into this discussion as it is another way to fix the flickering runways, etc., with DX10 preview turned on - http://forums1.avsim.net/topic/267998-dx10-runwaytaxiway-flickering-fix/. So, if Steve's fix does not work for you for some reason, you might try this method.

Best regards,

Jim

One place with the car headlight problem in DX10 is the Orbx freeware airport Vashon. This is the sort of thing.

That is caused by missing fx files in the effects folder. There are some programs that install their own fx files and overwrite the default. When you uninstall the program, it uninstalls the fx files too causing the blocks in the lights. It should also be appearing on aircraft too. If not, you might want to reinstall Vashon with the latest update to that freeware and make sure you have the latest FTX scenery objects installed.

Best regards,

Jim

No worries and no hurry at all, Paul. I'm not after higher FPS, just trying to find out if higher IQ thru NI is possible.

Jean-Paul,

I have spent a few hours trying DX10 Preview with Steve's shader mod. One thing I can tell you is that is IQ cannot be improved through NI. The only way to get AA is to enable it within FSX. As has always been for me in the past, IQ is better in DX9, FSX is smoother in DX9 and my performance is actually better in DX9. Steve's fixes however, work like a charm.

Steve,

I appreciate all your efforts delving into DX10. It still amazes me after all these years, that dedicated persons such as yourself come along and manage to unlock the hidden potential of FSX and improve the FSX experience for others.

Regards,

Bob