Sign in to follow this  
SteveFx

DX10 Flashing Runways - Experimental Shader

The only way to get AA is to enable it within FSX.
Yes - I think so, too, however, Bob FXAA seems to give a smoother look - not so 'pixelated'. I tried it because of KSEA's shimmering concrete - not the runways, just the hard areas looking like sand.

As has always been for me in the past, IQ is better in DX9, FSX is smoother in DX9 and my performance is actually better in DX9.
Not the same here - it's exactly opposite.

It still amazes me after all these years, that dedicated persons such as yourself come along and manage to unlock the hidden potential of FSX and improve the FSX experience for others.

Agreed. You would think that the guys that develop scenery and other general addons would have known about this, and most of the other issues similar to that which that Bojote uncovered a couple of years back.

i7 4790K@4.8GHz | 32GB RAM | EVGA RTX 3080Ti | Maximus Hero VII | 512GB 860 Pro | 512GB 850 Pro | 256GB 840 Pro | 2TB 860 QVO | 1TB 870 EVO | Seagate 3TB Cloud | EVGA 1000 GQ | Win10 Pro | EK Custom water cooling.

Thank you for this, Steve. I haven't tried your fixes yet, but will do it tomorrow morning.

I'm curious, is it possible to add a dithering to Dx10 VC shadows? It's the last big drawack of Dx10 mode.

Michał Puto

A2A Simulations | Blockhouse-C | Twitter

Hello empeck, l I hope that you aren't too keen a football fan!

I wonder exactly the same thing. The shadowing logic is all within the shaders and there are web tutorials on how to implement shadowmaps and how to blur then edges to remove pixelation.

Its not a trivial change, the first step is to try and understand exactly how the existing shadowing works and then try and relate that to the described techniques.

I am currently looking at nav lights though.

Steve

Hello empeck, l I hope that you aren't too keen a football fan!

No, actually I'm not, and that's a good thing today.

I wonder exactly the same thing. The shadowing logic is all within the shaders and there are web tutorials on how to implement shadowmaps and how to blur then edges to remove pixelation.

Its not a trivial change, the first step is to try and understand exactly how the existing shadowing works and then try and relate that to the described techniques.

I am currently looking at nav lights though.

Steve

Thanks for your answer. I'm keeping my fingers crossed. After flying in DCS and Rise of Flight lack of VC shadows in FSX is a big issue. Fixed Dx10 would be a massive improvement. Thanks again.

Michał Puto

A2A Simulations | Blockhouse-C | Twitter

Hello .... Not only did this fix correct flashing runways but also buildings that flashed also. I flew last night from Caynonlands (KCNY) down to Grand Canyon (KGCN) low and slow (favorite area to canyon dive) Cayonlands always had flashing runways.... No More Grand Caynon always missed terminal buildings and runway flashing... No More and i have to say the Shadow effect in the Lear is unreal.. no jaggies just a smooth appearence of a lack of words shadow. Thanks I am only running your first vesion without fence fix.. Your work is much appreciated and a lot of us get a new life with fsx,

Steve

Glad you enjoy it Steve.

My guess is that the dx10 shadow quality depends on the distance the shadow is projected over, so the worst case would be the planes such as the cessna with lots of rear facing windows and when the sun is behind.

Thank you a hundred times over Will give this a go this evening !!

Gotta drop your FF down to .10 or .15.

At .10 you will see practically no frames difference between Unlimited and Locked and Locked is much smoother and better at loading textures.

At the stock setting (I think it defaults .33) Unlimited will give a nice FPS boost, but more stutters and blurries.

Where are you seeing .10 / .15 / .33? I can't find those values anywhere in the FSX.cfg file.

Under [Main]

FIBER_FRAME_TIME_FRACTION=0.1

It's not there by default: you need to add it as above. Try first at .18 and see the difference. You'll be surprised.

i7 4790K@4.8GHz | 32GB RAM | EVGA RTX 3080Ti | Maximus Hero VII | 512GB 860 Pro | 512GB 850 Pro | 256GB 840 Pro | 2TB 860 QVO | 1TB 870 EVO | Seagate 3TB Cloud | EVGA 1000 GQ | Win10 Pro | EK Custom water cooling.

Thanks Phil, I didn't know SMAA. Unfortunately, it doesn't work with DX10 Preview, FSX crashes while loading.

For those who are interested, I stumbled upon another DX10 fix I wasn't aware of discovered in 2007 by Omzig a.k.a. Gizmo (Shade) and Christian Buchner (Tileproxy). It solves the "umbrella" bug when it rains

You will find it here (and it works like a charm :smile: ) Some more possible settings here

Steve, any chance you can solve the lightpoles bug ? It looks as if someone pulls the plug on all the lights (not the runways) every second or so.

KInd regards

Jean-Paul

I7 8700K / Fractal Design Celsius S24 watercooling / ASRock Z370 Extreme4 motherboard / Corsair 32GB 3200mhz DDR4 / INNO3D iChiLL GeForce GTX 1080 Ti X3 / Samsung SSD 960 EVO M.2 PCIe NVMe 500GB / Seasonic-SSR-850FX power supply / Fractal Design Define R5 Black case / AOC Q3279VWF 32″ 2560x1440 monitor / Benq GL2450 24″ 1920x1080 monitor / Track-IR 4

I haven't seen any issues with runway lights? Where exactly. I have just (finally) fixed the Cessna nav lights which turns out to be effects to do with lights so it could be related. I need to go though the other planes and check them out.

E.g to fix just the nav lights you have to copy the texture fx_2.bmp in the effects\textures dir and give it another name, then edit the effect fx_navgre.fx And fx_navred.fx so that the particle attribitues other than the first and last use the new texture.

I will be posting more comprehensible instructions when I have more time!

The runway lights are fine, I meant the city light poles you find in i.e. Orbx scenery. They keep flashing.

Wow, a fix for the nav lights ! You never cease to amaze me :Applause:

KInd regards

Jean-Paul

I7 8700K / Fractal Design Celsius S24 watercooling / ASRock Z370 Extreme4 motherboard / Corsair 32GB 3200mhz DDR4 / INNO3D iChiLL GeForce GTX 1080 Ti X3 / Samsung SSD 960 EVO M.2 PCIe NVMe 500GB / Seasonic-SSR-850FX power supply / Fractal Design Define R5 Black case / AOC Q3279VWF 32″ 2560x1440 monitor / Benq GL2450 24″ 1920x1080 monitor / Track-IR 4

Amazing work, Steve. It never ceases to amaze me how many people out there are still contributing to FSX' continued primacy in the flight sim world. I am going to try all of this later, but having now got my system _just_ where I want it with respect to smoothness and lack of stutters, I'm loathe to start dicking around with it!

Shouldn't this topic be at least stickied or incorporated into one of the guides? Perhaps if you have the time, you could do an idiots guide with asscociated edited files that ppl who are a little scared of their PC's can use? I'm happy editing shader files etc, but a lot of ppl aren't :smile:

Again, well done, Steve. I take my hat off to you, sir :clapping:

JAKE EYRE
It's a small step from the sublime to the ridiculous...Napoleon Bonaparte
newSigBetaTeam.gif
lancairuk.jpg

I don't have a Shaders10 folder in AppData/Microsoft/FSX not even after using preview DX10