Sign in to follow this  
Chock

Going down like a lead balloon?

Chock,

I have been excited about this project since I first saw it in your signature. I have been interested in lighter-than-air travel since college when I did a paper on rigid airships. It is impossible today to imagine just how massive these aircraft were unless you visit some of the surviving airship hangars such as those in Tillamook, Oregon or Moffett, California. When you realize that these airships filled the entire hangar, you appreciate how HUGE they were. At Tillamook, the hangar doors are 150' high. As a joke, someone years ago put a basketball hoop and backboard above the hangar door.

Like most people in this topic, I believe the swastikas need to stay. I am not a fan of revisionist history. Some history is good, some of it is bad, but all of it needs to be remembered. Thank you for being concerned enough about this matter to ask for our opinion on it.

Most people don't know it, but like the Titanic, the Hindenburg had a less famous sister ship. The LZ-130 Graf Zeppelin II was nearly identical to the LZ-129. She was never put into service and only flew some test flight before being scrapped.

Last year, I downloaded a copy of the U.S.S. Macon airship for FSX and it was fun to fly and try and moor it to the masts. How do you plan on "landing" the Hindenburg. Will you have accompanying sceneries of Friedrichschafen and Lakehurst NAS?

Swastikas don't bother me despite my mother and her family being bombed by the Luftwaffe in 1940 in Leicester, England,(they survived).

I downloaded this freeware FS2004/FSX Ju52 a while back but it looked stupid because it hadn't got a swastika-

FSX-Ju52.gif

But I found a downloadable swastika file for it and now it looks fine (below..:)

FSX--Ju52s.gif

How do you plan on "landing" the Hindenburg. Will you have accompanying sceneries of Friedrichschafen and Lakehurst NAS?

I'm going to probably have to make something along those lines, yeah. At the very least some kind of mast for it.

Al

Alan Bradbury

Check out my youtube flight sim videos: Here

Historical accuracy is important and revisionist histroy is terrible. The American Civil War is a good example of revisionist history run amuck and it's pathetic.

How so? I very much disagree.

Politics were the reason i made my Hindenburg's Crooked Cross visibility coded to be added or not using the same model and texture set , having chosen the DLZ 129 as the culmination of its classes evolution and for the pleasure of building the interior, it was my first release and remember getting Bill Leaming , William Ortis, Felix R from FFSD online at one time in the Zep , quite a sight to see four of them in game , had a thousand parts in each and the maximum poly load at the time of 65,000 per model.

More funny still is the time i watched an airrace online in the DLZ-129, I had swapped in game and saw all the players in Zeps going around pylons as i didnt have the aircraft being raced in FS9 , Pitts Bulldogs on the short layout at 4SD , funny as hell to see a dozen 129's going left , wish i still had the pics of it . I know the model is still in the Avsim Library but i dont have FS9 loaded anymore to run it .

Good going on the model , are you doing this in Gmax?

Nope, just for the challenge of doing it in the lesser program, I'm using FSDS instead. I spend a much of the time teaching people 3DSMax, so the last thing I want to do is play around with it when I get home as well LOL, so I figured I'd see if FSDS was up to making a decent model of it.

Al

Alan Bradbury

Check out my youtube flight sim videos: Here

Mooring masts are a mystery to me, some are about a hundred feet high (how do passengers get in/out?) but this mast (Hindenburg at Lakehurst 1936) is much smaller, presumably allowing them to simply step down from the gondola onto the ground.

Incidentally i've attached a summary about the swastika image laws from the net which clarifies that it's fine to show them "in context" if there's no nasty neo-###### intent behind them.

I was admin/mod at a military history forum for several years and we posted hundreds of pics about the ###### regime including swastikas on flags and tailfins, and the only time we were told off was when an inexperienced mod at Photobucket deleted a couple of swastika pics for "Violation of Terms", but I appealed to the Pbucket bosses and got them re-instated..:)

Hindenburg_at_lakehurst1936.jpg

NO Swas****! Do not even use the name! WW2 did not happen! In fact, on further reflection, you should not even attempt to model this aircraft, the sooner we all forget what happened, the better.

Sorry, but I just hate revisionist history.

I do realize there are legal implications, so do what you must do, but, please, at the least, include the historically correct version.

And, thanks for doing this aircraft, it should be interesting to fly.

And if swastikas were banned (heaven forbid), kids would grow up never seeing pics like these that bear witness to the destruction of Nazism-

He111 victim of Spitfires, Scotland 1940

LammermuirHeinkel.jpg

Stuka

stuk-wrk.jpg

Ju88 downed in Britain

Ju88-down-GB.jpg

Me 109, London

7926b017.jpg

Thunderbolt pilot Cpt Edwin Fisher 1944

Cpt-EdwinFisher_P47-1944.jpg

Sorry to bump up an old thread, but anyone know what has happened to Chock (Alan?)

I sent him a few PMs just before the Olympics.

I think he is busy with work.

Personally.......I hope you make two different versions. Historically / Politically correct or not, I know I would get far more enjoyment from being able to pick, and fly one without the swastikas! I don't deny history in any way, shape, nor form. However! I would not want to fly in something sporting the "symbol" of something that represents so much hurt and death. I sincerely hope you'll make two different paints.

Dennis