Sign in to follow this  
Chock

Going down like a lead balloon?

I would say keep the swasticas.

Its no where near as offensive as the addon to put the twin towers back in the game.

Jack Cannon

Yeah keep them, pretending that ##### never existed isn't going to help anyone, bad things in history should be remembered so we can learn from them and hopefully make sure that these things never happen again. But yeah of course another version without would be good for users in countries where swastika is illegal even in historical models like this.

Last time I checked (and that was fairly recently, since I do still make models every once in a while), modelers were either young kids or dedicated hobbyists into the history, research and just the skill and enjoyment of model making, and not given to goose-stepping about in their lounges whilst watching The Triumph of the Will.

There was a discussion a while back in a scale modelling forum I frequent where one of the regulars - a truly nice guy and one of the very few who does it purely for the fun and doesn't obsess over details and accuracy - told us how a visitor to his house had called him a ###### because he had some of his models on display that had a Hakenkreuz on the tail. Ridiculous.

I know the law in Germany states something to the effect of the swastika can only be used for educational purposes, and they don't regard model kits (and presumably flight simulator models too) as educational. I believe lots of German modellers build WW2 Luftwaffe kits with the swastika for display at home, but have to cover the swastika up when they display them at model shows.

I understand that Revell - or at least the German company and not the American offshoot - will *never* make a kit with swastika decals. Likewise Airfix won't, and I believe Italeri too. It's funny though because the Revell catalogue is absolutely jam packed with WW2 German kit! In fact just this afternoon I've come back to my ship with a couple of Revell kits of a 1/144 Type VIIC/41 and Type XXI U-Boats to keep me busy between watches for the next couple of months! Sure enough the Kriegsmarine ensign has no Hakenkreuz...

As a lifelong aviation enthusiast I am absolutely fascinated by WW2 Luftwaffe stuff and have a huge pile of Luftwaffe kits at home. I'm no ###### sympathiser but for the sake of historical accuracy I will finish my WW2 Luftwaffe kits with the Hakenkreuz on the tail. I do however understand that some people will be offended by that symbol and what it has come to represent.

I'd say the best solution for your Hindenburg would be to follow the example of Matthias at Classics Hangar - release the model without the Hakenkreuz and seperately upload just the necessary textures with the Hakenkreuz for those who wish to have it.

I am Jewish and I see nothing wrong with including the swastika for historical purposes as long as your intent is not to glorify nazism. That being said it would be nice to have 2 models just so people don't have to be forced to stare at it. Put an iron cross or something on the alternate model.

I think the only consideration required is to ensure there's a version available that has no swastika. Anyone in countries that make the symbol a criminal issue could face fines/jail time if they were found to have it on their computer... even for something as harmless as an airship in FS.

Ed Wilson

Mindstar Aviation
My Playland - I69

I agree with modeling this accurately. I also build model aircraft and many of the kits manufactured in Europe for a while didn't include swatsikas on German aircraft. This just seemed ridiculous. Yes, I understand this was because of laws in the countries (i.e., not the manufacturers fault), but you can't sweep history under the rug.

Eric Szczesniak

The over riding question is: What is it like on frames?

Displaying the swastika will defiantly affect frames as they are a drag.

CPU: Intel i9-11900K @5.2 / RAM: 32GB DDR4 3200 / GPU: 4080 16GB /

Heres a tidbit I found out years ago when managing an online game, the Swastika was not allowed on any of our gernam planes because it's use is/was outlawed in Germany and we were a worldwide game.

No idea if its still true but Im sure someone knows.

Jay

I understand both sides, and has lived in both places. I am not 100% sure of the laws, but while I was in Germany, I can count on one finger how many of those I saw....it was in a museum. It is looked at wrongly in most places. But alas, who forgets history will sure be the first to repeat it.

I say offer a package of both, with and without.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Definitely model it with the Swastika.

Those who distort history are doomed to repeat it after all.

Philip Manhart  :American Flag:

13.jpg

- "Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something." ~ Plato

You could of course reverse the swastika image and then it would be the original Indian symbol!!!

Historical accuracy is important and revisionist histroy is terrible. The American Civil War is a good example of revisionist history run amuck and it's pathetic.

Put that symbol of tyranny and oppression on there. Ill load it in CFS, fire an Aim-120 at it and blow that ###### @#$# propaganda machine right out of the air, in a ball flames! But then. I know more care to fly something with Swatzika on it than a dirigible as far as that goes. :)

Defuse the whole issue: Do one with the swastika, one without, and a few others with various smileys/numbers and other innocuous symbols. Let the buyers choose how serious they want to take it all!

We are all connected..... To each other, biologically...... To the Earth, chemically...... To the rest of the Universe atomically.

Devons rig
Intel Core i5 13600K @ 5.1GHz / G.SKILL Trident Z5 RGB Series Ram 32GB / GIGABYTE GeForce RTX 4070 Ti GAMING OC 12G Graphics Card / Sound Blaster Z / Meta Quest 2 VR Headset / Klipsch® Promedia 2.1 Computer Speakers / ASUS ROG SWIFT PG279Q ‑ 27" IPS LED Monitor ‑ QHD / 1x Samsung SSD 850 EVO 500GB / 2x Samsung SSD 860 EVO 1TB /  1x Samsung - 970 EVO Plus 2TB NVMe /  1x Samsung 980 NVMe 1TB / 2 other regular hd's with up to 10 terabyte capacity / Windows 11 Pro 64-bit / Gigabyte Z790 Aorus Elite AX Motherboard LGA 1700 DDR5