Sign in to follow this  
Gibbage

Flight post mortem.

He said...

No, he did not. That is not all he said, nor is it how he said it. Rearranging his words in brackets, mixed with a little creative interpretation of your own, while carefully leaving out the key qualifying element of his statement to make it appear to support the rather perplexing argument you seem to be desperately trying to push into the mouths of others for some strange reason does not constitute "he said."

If anyone missed the significance of the date...it was the beginning of a new fiscal year.

Thanks. I was wondering when Microsoft's fiscal quarters changed. So, a new fiscal year. Someone at the top went through on a hack & slash mission to get rid of anything that wasn't meeting projections, due to the loss they posted... although I thought that loss posting had more to do with tax breaks than profits.

Do we know of anything else that got cut, besides Flight and the Vancouver studio?

Hook

Larry Hookins

Oh! I have slipped the surly bonds of Earth
And danced the skies on laughter-silvered wings;

Do we know of anything else that got cut, besides Flight and the Vancouver studio?

Well they did cut jobs several days before; (July 11 2012)

WSJ

Microsoft Cuts Advertising, Marketing Jobs

"Microsoft Corp.MSFT -0.57% said it cut advertising and marketing positions on Wednesday as it "works to align the business to key priorities."

"I can confirm that there were job eliminations today at Microsoft," a company spokeswoman said in an email. "I can assure you we're thinking about the exciting new opportunities that Windows 8, Xbox and Skype present for our advertising and marketing partners."

or

I wish they had scrapped Windows8.

This is a good laugh: Ex-Microsoft employee remembers the last sound he heard at Microsoft (18+)

Hello

Ok I will try again, in your opinion what do you feel was the most likely reason for Flights cancellation.

Let me throw out an other idea - maybe MS underestimated what it would take to actually develop what

they had lined up as a roadmap for DLC.

If you look at how long it took them to add some relatively simple features like prop/mixture and then toe brakes.

They never released a working autopilot.

Alaska was released in an unfinished state (compared to the initial quality of Hawaii).

The Cub had no cockpit... etc

Maybe they could not pull it off and additional resources were not politically within reach..

Bert

After reading this very interesting thread in saddened tgat anyone would be happy that any part of this hobby was killed off. While it didn't appeal to me it obviously did to others. I truly hope that someone steps up in the next few years and produces a new sim.

@RoboRay

@LHookins

Do you believe that Microsoft's decisions to abandon FS11 vand Flight were:

Nothing at all to do with the possiblity that neither were commercially viable?

A simple yes or no will do - there question is simple ebough.

The answer is simple enough.

I had no idea where Flight was going when it was under development. The developers were not saying.

I have no idea why the developers abandoned Flight.The developers are saying "this decision was the result of the natural ebb and flow of our portfolio management" - whatever that means.

I personally do not believe that either FS11 or Flight were not commecially viable. To me, the indications are that the cancellations are due to internal problems within Microsoft. They were the leaders but now they appear to be really struggling against the competition.