Sign in to follow this  
6FingerSays

You are a passenger on a B737-800NG and both pilots are unconscious. Could you land it?

They would never EVER allow a passenger that doesnt hold at least a PPL to land an airplane, no matter if he has 10 000 hours in the NGX.

To answer the initial question of this topic: No, you wouldn't.

That is, 99% of the people who think they can, will mess it up. I'm a (former) 737 pilot (still type-rated) and instructor. I have had many flight sim enthousiasts in the Level D simulator and I'll tell you that 99% of them would have totally messed it up without my help.

Even if you can properly land it in the Level D sim, landing it in real life is a totally different thing. I remember the first time I had to land a 737. I was able to land it perfectly in the simulator, but in real life you're scared sh*tless. And I even had a captain and an instructor with me.

If you ever get in this situation, contact ATC and do an auto-land.

They would never EVER allow a passenger that doesnt hold at least a PPL to land an airplane, no matter if he has 10 000 hours in the NGX.

Ok, and if there is no PPL holder on board? They would crash and all die, but they would not allow anyone to try? :rolleyes:

If both pilots are unconscious, there's a good chance one of them is slumped over the flight controls. Could you recover from a nose dive?

Well if you could manged to get out of your rear seat and worked out what was going on in the cockpit and managed to climb over the hysterical passengers, by now would be sceaming in fear by this stage. Than you would have to slowly work your way down the the aircraft dodging the food carts that sure be rolling by this stage depending if it were to happen during meal times. At this stage i imagine the aircraft now will be spinning and gaining speed, and yet you still havnt made it too the cockpit door yet in which you need to gain access by using the combination access door key panel, in which you have obtained from the stewardess saying i can fly the aircraft i got lots of hours in the pmdg 737 ngx. After you have managed to gain access to the cock pit and you would notice and hear warning bells saying pull up pull up as you struggle to lift the dead weight of the pilot from the control columne, by this stage its too late and either the aircraft has crashed to the ground or the aircraft has broken up in flight

I7-800k,Corsair h1101 cooler ,Asus Strix Gaming Intel Z370 S11 motherboard, Corsair 32gb ramDD4,    2  ssd 500gb 970 drive, gtx 1080ti Card,  RM850 power supply

Peter kelberg

Ok, and if there is no PPL holder on board? They would crash and all die, but they would not allow anyone to try? :rolleyes:

Flight attendants would be used in that case...

Ró.

Rónán O Cadhain.

sig_FSLBetaTester.jpg

Flight attendant can do nothing more than other passengers.

But, I agree it can be a company policy.

Dont get me wrong, but I think its not the safest way, nor there are better chances for successful landing if FA is at commands.

Flight attendant can do nothing more than other passengers.

WOW! Now that's some attitude to take, the people who jumpseat with us for landings, who spend 30 mins up chatting with us in the cruise. The people who are day in day out working on board these aircraft, are "No Better Then Passengers". Oooooh the look the face of a CC if you said that to them, I can't even imagine.... :LMAO:

Ró.

Just to add a personal note here, and I mean absolutely no offence to any of you guys, but should for whatever bizarre reason, these series of unfortunate events this take place, I would put my trust sooner with CC than you guys, I would of course put my trust with you guys though over the general public.

Ró.

Rónán O Cadhain.

sig_FSLBetaTester.jpg

WOW! Now that's some attitude to take, the people who jumpseat with us for landings, who spend 30 mins up chatting with us in the cruise. The people who are day in day out working on board these aircraft, are "No Better Then Passengers". Oooooh the look the face of a CC if you said that to them, I can't even imagine.... :LMAO:

Ró.

Just to add a personal note here, and I mean absolutely no offence to any of you guys, but should for whatever bizarre reason, these series of unfortunate events this take place, I would put my trust sooner with CC than you guys, I would of course put my trust with you guys though over the general public.

Ró.

The few FAs I know wouldn't be any more use in the flight-deck than a random member of the public. Maybe you guys have superior Cabin Crew over at EIN :P

The few FAs I know wouldn't be any more use in the flight-deck than a random member of the public. Maybe you guys have superior Cabin Crew over at EIN :P

Why, who are you with? KLM Royal Dutch Airlines by the profile pic I'm judging...

All I'm saying is, is that the majority of cabin crew that come up to the flight deck, and most do have a natural curiosity about all the buttons and switches. And our CC are, for the record, trained to locate the PTT button, tune the radios, and the basics in transmission, after that, they should be fine...

Ró.

And just to put this on the record here:

It's true, we do have far superior CC, ain't none better in the world, no one can match good old EIN.... :P

Rónán O Cadhain.

sig_FSLBetaTester.jpg

I believe some of FAs tried and maybe trained in sim to be able to try to land airliner, but there could be some other passengers who did the same. There are just few cabin crew members and usually more than hundred passengers, I think there is a good chance someone is more competent to do "the job" than cc.

As I said, dont get me wrong, I pay great respect for those guys, they have significant job to do, but they are not trained to be pilots no matter they are sitting at jumpseat every flight. Its one thing to watch and completely different to do it yourself.

I thought at least some of the flight attendands have received some kind of training for this specific scenario. If so, they would fare far better than a random person

Yea havnt you seen flying high 1 and flying high 2 :lol:

I7-800k,Corsair h1101 cooler ,Asus Strix Gaming Intel Z370 S11 motherboard, Corsair 32gb ramDD4,    2  ssd 500gb 970 drive, gtx 1080ti Card,  RM850 power supply

Peter kelberg

This thread is getting ridiculous now, 4000 hours flying your desk or a few hours in a cessna or LVL-D is not going to prepare you for the responsibility of landing an 80T + aircraft in an emergency situation with real men, woman and children sitting behind you. end of story..

It seems that modern day simulators have given some an inflated ego and sense of confidence.

Rob Prest