Sign in to follow this  
Jason Howell

Uber Happy! and a vote for contributor of the year!

I tried the new DX10 shader fix tonight, and i have to say that i am VERY impressed with what HAS to be the fix of the century for flight sim by stevejp! It gets my vote for contributor of the year hands down, as this fix works, makes FSX beautiful in DX10 preview mode and has my fps locked and steady at 30fps!

heres a shot of me in the Bellanca Scout on final approach to KCLM (Port Angeles, WA)

This is what DX10 looks like for me..a couple things to note on that shot, Bloom is on, something i have never used due to the fps hit in dx9, and all settings are maxed, except for the water as i prefer X1 max water.

and although i dont have the fps counter on in this shot, i assure you it was pegged at 30 fps.

TY TY TY stevejp. You have made my FSX rock!

oh and before someone says something about me not having the radio on in the screenshot...i was so excited about the fps i just slewed onto the runway and took off and was giggling like a kid!

One of my favorite planes! Yes I came from an AMD6000 to i5 2500K lol.... huge difference. And once I got the tweaks and overclocking going, FSX was actually enjoyable

| FAA ZMP |
| PPL ASEL |
| Windows 11 | MSI Z690 Tomahawk | 12700K 4.7GHz | MSI RTX 4080 | 32GB 5600 MHz DDR5 | 500GB Samsung 860 Evo SSD | 2x 2TB Samsung 970 Evo M.2 | EVGA 850W Gold | Corsair 5000X | HP G2 (VR) / LG 27" 1440p |

One of my favorite planes!

Yep that Scout is one of the best taildraggers ive flown on a sim, and modeled beautifully. And looks nice in DX9 or DX10!

I haven't used Steve's DX10 fix yet because I'm still building my PC (obsessive-compulsive perfectionist) but once I do, I'm sure I'll agree with you! I can't wait to try it out.

I haven't used Steve's DX10 fix yet because I'm still building my PC (obsessive-compulsive perfectionist) but once I do, I'm sure I'll agree with you! I can't wait to try it out.

Hurry up and get it bolted together...DX10 has made it a new sim for me almost (admittedly with some, well alot, ok..tons of addons)

For the less knowledgeable - what's the difference between running FSX in DX9 vs DX 10? Better sharper colours, contrast etc?

For the less knowledgeable - what's the difference between running FSX in DX9 vs DX 10? Better sharper colours, contrast etc?

Id say to my untrained eye you get sharper colors, better atmospheric effects, and the planes just look better, it is to me a big improvement of the whole sim. A lot of people are reporting you get more fps in dx10 mode. I can say i have my fps locked internally at 30 fps and it stays there. and for me things are a TON smoother, no microstutters, or all the gremlins of dx9 fsx we have been chasing for the last few years.

Maybe I should trey DX10 again then, just to see what happens... Could you refer me to the thread where this "magic" fix was posted? You made me curious!

Benjamin van Soldt

Windows 10 64bit - i5-8600k @ 4.7GHz - ASRock Fatality K6 Z370 - EVGA GTX1070 SC 8GB VRAM - 16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX @ 3200MHz - Samsung 960 Evo SSD M.2 NVMe 500GB - 2x Samsung 860 Evo SSD 1TB (P3Dv4/5 drive) - Seagate Barracuda 2TB 7200RPM - Seasonic FocusPlus Gold 750W - Noctua DH-15S - Fractal Design Focus G (White) Case

So, this fix enables FSX to run in DX10 preview mode without problems, and a framerate boost added as a bonus?

Christopher Low

UK2000 Beta Tester

FSBetaTesters3.png

So, this fix enables FSX to run in DX10 preview mode without problems, and a framerate boost added as a bonus?

Essentially, yes. The visual problems with the DX10 preview mode seem to be more or less solved now. Framerate will vary by configuration, of course. It's entirely possible that DX10 might reduce your performance, but it's certainly worth trying as you may get an improvement.

This is the original thread: http://forum.avsim.net/topic/376140-dx10-flashing-runways-experimental-shader/

The screenshot looks normal to me.

Anyone like to point out the differences, because looks pretty normal standard dx9 to me.

I have just tested this DX10 shader fix on my PC, and this is what I discovered......

1. My nav lights do not work. Wingtip/strobe/beacon.....nothing. This is with the Flight1 Cessna Citation Mustang.

2. Some ground textures at Heathrow Xtreme (my test airport) look fuzzier and more "washed out".

3. Those black rectangles (the ones when FSX is trying to load lots of textures) are now light blue with "Microsoft Flight Simulator X" written in them :smile:

4. One or two AI plane textures are not being displayed. The one I noticed was the "all white BMI" scheme on an ERJ-135. A quick check in DX9 mode confirmed that it was only a problem with DX10.

However, perhaps the most startling result was exhibited during a test flight at Heathrow Xtreme. Since I have been suffering from OOM errors/CTDs/screen freezes at times when the graphics load is high, I decided to test this DX10 mode to see if it made any difference. I loaded my Flight1 Citation Mustang at UK2000 Heathrow Xtreme, with all of the graphics settings at maximum (Extremely Dense Scenery Complexity and Autogen Density, highest resolution mesh and terrain textures etc), apart from water, which was set to Mid 2.x. The following scenery was installed and active in the area....

PlayHorizon GenX3 photoscenery

VFR London X

UK2000 Heathrow Xtreme (GO MAX setting)

UK2000 Gatwick Xtreme (GO MAX setting)

UK2000 Stansted Xtreme

UK2000 London City Xtreme

VFR Airfields Volume 1

ES Treescapes

FSX Power Project 4

REX2

Ultimate Traffic 2 was active, with AI airliners set to 100%. The normal FSX AI sliders (for Learjet 45, KingAir 350, GA etc). were set to 40% and 50% respectively, with ships and ferries at 25%.

Anti Aliasing mode: 8xS

Anti Aliasing Transparency mode: 4x SGSS

Anisotropic filtering mode: 16x

Oh, and this test is done at dawn, which makes the graphics load even greater (more complex atmospheric lighting effects, active taxiway/runway/building/aircraft lights etc).

In this test, I load the plane at a suitable parking spot at Heathrow, contact ATC for instructions, and then taxi to the departure runway. The plan is to depart straight out until asked to switch to Heathrow Approach, make a 180 degree turn to the downwind leg, contact the tower for landing clearance, turn, approach, land, and taxi back to the parking spot.

Every time that I have tried this in DX9 mode, FSX has failed abysmally. In fact, I usually can't even make the full 180 degree turn to the downwind leg before the screen freezes, or I get a CTD. So, you can perhaps imagine my astonishment when I completed the entire test flight without a problem in DX10 mode!!! :o I saw several instances of those "texture load rectangles" during the flight, but each time they disappeared after a few seconds.

Frankly, I am gobsmacked. Does DX10 have massively superior memory management to DX9? Or is something else going on here? Honestly, I urge everybody who is struggling with OOM errors to test a graphics intensive flight in DX10 preview mode with this "fix" installed, and see if it makes a difference.

If those problems that I have listed at the top could be solved, then I would switch to DX10 mode permanently.

Christopher Low

UK2000 Beta Tester

FSBetaTesters3.png

Yeah one of the first things i did with dx10 mode while testing out the new shader fix was go to heathrow and see how it handled it. I use MyTraffix 5.4a Professional. (i do also have Ultimate Traffic 2, but i hate how some airlines only get the Daedalus generic paint, and i refuse to have to go through the trouble of importing paints for specific airlines. MyTraffic seems to have a lot more airlines and no generic paints)

Also with MyTraffic X, Heathrow is simply LOADED with AI, seems 75 percent of gates are occupied, and even has airliners in outlying parking positions, i didnt notice that with UT2.

But back to the post...yes heathrow FPS doubled for me, making it very usable.

a few other things i have noticed with dx10. using alt-tab to go to desktop is a breeze now, and works the way it should. with dx9, fsx would throw a hissy fit if i tried to alt-tab to the desktop. This makes FSCommander or SkyVector feasible to use on a single monitor setup. Another thing i have noticed was the microstutters are gone in dx10..that was a huge point in frustration for me in dx9, and now flying is fun again, rather than me concentrating on when the next big stutter was gonna hit.

I havent had any CTD's yet with dx10, and i flew a 90 minute low and slow flight yesterday