Sign in to follow this  
SoloTwo

Couple small issues with Active Sky 2012

Just 2 problems I've been having with AS2012 lately. Whenever I'm flying over a large distance with DWC on and there aren't many weather stations in the area (mostly Alaska, flying from PANC to PASI right now over the Gulf of Alaska) I get extremely annoying weird cloud patterns. Big square areas usually with square holes and it just repeats itself over and over. Also right now when I'm flying over an overcast area clouds only show up in a about 20mi circle around me and appear and disappear around me as I'm flying.

Not sure if there is a setting somewhere that I'm missing or what.

Interesting. This was pretty much the same reason I was never too enamored w/ ASX. I'm using Essentials now and I do not see this discrete radius of weather that was the norm w/ the HiFi product. Essentials handles this IMO much better by taking advantage of more variable visibility and I do not see these discrete disks of weather ever. I was about to jump ship on Essentials unitl I figured out how to start the program and give it full time to initialize, which is way to long but the price we pay currently. I know they are striving to reduce time-to-takeoff and believe they have made a big improvement here.

Noel

System:  7800x3D, Thermal Grizzly Kryonaut, Noctua NH-U12A, MSI Pro 650-P WiFi, G.SKILL Ripjaws S5 Series 32GB (2 x 16GB) 288-Pin PC RAM DDR5 6000, WD NVMe 2Tb x 1, Sabrent NVMe 2Tb x 1, RTX 4090 FE, Corsair RM1000W PSU, Win11 Home, LG Ultra Curved Gsync Ultimate 3440x1440, Phanteks Enthoo Pro Case, TCA Boeing Edition Yoke & TQ, Cessna Trim Wheel, RTSS Framerate Limiter w/ Edge Sync for near zero Frame Time Variance achieving ultra-fluid animation at lower frame rates.

Aircraft used in A Pilot's Life V2:  PMDG 738, Aerosoft CRJ700, FBW A320nx, WT 787X

I have seen this issue with ASE also. I use REX-E for everything. None of this ever happens.

Never had this problem with AS2012. Increase you cloud density will give you a solid overcast.

To each his own, but I am ONLY and Active Sky guy

Bob

I don't have that problem with AS2012. Try adjusting your cloud draw distance and see if that helps. The further out your draw the clouds, the more load on the system

Vic

RIG#1 - 7700K 5.0g ROG X270F 3600 15-15-15 - EVGA RTX 3090 1000W PSU 1- 850G EVO SSD, 2-256G OCZ SSD, 1TB,HAF942-H100 Water W1064Pro
40" 4K Monitor 3840x2160 - AS16, ASCA, GEP3D, UTX, Toposim, ORBX Regions, TrackIR
RIG#2 - 3770K 4.7g Asus Z77 1600 7-8-7 GTX1080ti DH14 850W 2-1TB WD HDD,1tb VRap, Armor+ W10 Pro 2 - HannsG 28" Monitors

It only happens when I'm flying in an area without many stations like I stated, I have the cloud density set to 12 and a large draw distance. Its perfect when I'm flying in areas with plenty of stations.

As for REX-E, well I have REXOD and it appears I'll be waiting months and months before I can even upgrade. And with REX I have to deal with annoying wind shifts, flashing sky, constantly changing weather when I'm on approach and huge load times. NONE of these things I have to deal with in AS2012...

Bump, anyone have any idea?

Hi SoloTwo,

I'm sorry I can't help you any further with some hints how to solve this issue in AS2012.

The only advise I can give you is to keep a close eye on this OpusFSX FS Interface for FSX and P3D. You will find more than sufficient info (especially on this "few metar stations available"-item) here on the avsim forums or on their own forum (SimForums).

FYI: I use RexE for their sublime HD Cloud Textures and disable completely the weather engine. I have this function substituted by the Live Weather Engine of OpusFSX. Working just perfect.

You should really have a look at this.

salu2

Fdovillamil / GCLP

Unfortunately this is unlikely to help.The developers rarely put in an appearance these days and it has become a case of the blind leading the blind. I'm not a great REX fan but at least the developers try to give support on their forum. With AS2012 you will need to put in a support ticket. I also get the kind of anomalies described by the OP in AS2012 and changing draw distance etc makes no difference so if a solution is found some how I would be grateful to hear about it.

Bruceb

Bruce Bartlett

Frodo: "I wish none of this had happened." Gandalf: "So do all who live to see such times, but that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us."

Guest firehawk44

It looks like the outside view in the OP is further out from the default. Not sure if this is the problem but extending the distance from the aircraft would make any cloud formation look strange. I have AS2012 and have yet to see this issue. Are you using the default settings? If you moved the resolution in closer to the aircraft I don't think you would see these strange squares. I'll have to give it a try to see if I can somehow duplicate this issue.

Best regards,

Jim

Unfortunately this is unlikely to help.The developers rarely put in an appearance these days and it has become a case of the blind leading the blind. I'm not a great REX fan but at least the developers try to give support on their forum. With AS2012 you will need to put in a support ticket. I also get the kind of anomalies described by the OP in AS2012 and changing draw distance etc makes no difference so if a solution is found some how I would be grateful to hear about it.

Bruceb

Agreed, I don't like the fact that the dev team with HiFi no longer participates in a forum. No news on whats in development and no answering any user questions. The support ticket route is ok and I know others like pmdg use it but at least they have a forum and post updates about whats going on. As well Tim from REX and Stephen from Opus are very active in the various forums. The only thing that lets you know HiFi is still around is if the wx server its still up.

Eric 

Hi SoloTwo,

I'm sorry I can't help you any further with some hints how to solve this issue in AS2012.

The only advise I can give you is to keep a close eye on this OpusFSX FS Interface for FSX and P3D. You will find more than sufficient info (especially on this "few metar stations available"-item) here on the avsim forums or on their own forum (SimForums).

FYI: I use RexE for their sublime HD Cloud Textures and disable completely the weather engine. I have this function substituted by the Live Weather Engine of OpusFSX. Working just perfect.

You should really have a look at this.

salu2

Fdovillamil / GCLP

Nice advertisement. The simulated winds aloft is a laughable feature.

It looks like the outside view in the OP is further out from the default. Not sure if this is the problem but extending the distance from the aircraft would make any cloud formation look strange. I have AS2012 and have yet to see this issue. Are you using the default settings? If you moved the resolution in closer to the aircraft I don't think you would see these strange squares. I'll have to give it a try to see if I can somehow duplicate this issue.

Best regards,

Jim

I just zoomed out to give you a better view I can assure you it doesn't change from outside to the inside. Like I said the clouds are PERFECT when I'm flying over areas where I know there are plenty of weather stations. I only have this problem when I'm flying to PANC from the Seattle area where I know there aren't stations. That screenshot was taken over the Gulf of Alaska.

I'm using DWC mode and have Depict Hurricanes, Create Additional Stations, Enhance Route Coverage, and Local Station Writes with DWC all selected. The next time I fly to Alaska I'll have to screw around with the settings and see if I can't find the issue.

What kind of cloud settings are you guys using? I have cloud layers set to 5, I have no idea if I should increase or lower that just looks alone not about this issue. I have CAVOK generation to 50%, no data cloud gen to 50% (hrm, maybe the problem?). Cirrus Cloud Generation set to 50, and for some reason Stratus Cloud Occurrence set to 0%.

Bruceb

yes, but IF you take the time to put in a support ticket - you will usually get an answer. The developer has a choice to make, not saying this is the case for ActiveSKy but, one can either spend a lot of time answering the same beginner's questions over and over or continue to improve the product and deal with legitimate support via the support ticket.

It just seems to me that you are not happy with the support ticket procedure, yet it is a direct link to the developer.

And, yes, the developer DOES read the forum.

Vic

RIG#1 - 7700K 5.0g ROG X270F 3600 15-15-15 - EVGA RTX 3090 1000W PSU 1- 850G EVO SSD, 2-256G OCZ SSD, 1TB,HAF942-H100 Water W1064Pro
40" 4K Monitor 3840x2160 - AS16, ASCA, GEP3D, UTX, Toposim, ORBX Regions, TrackIR
RIG#2 - 3770K 4.7g Asus Z77 1600 7-8-7 GTX1080ti DH14 850W 2-1TB WD HDD,1tb VRap, Armor+ W10 Pro 2 - HannsG 28" Monitors